Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for Falkorre/Bond 007.

• 08-10-2004 6:25pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok just bought a Beardie today,picking it up next Friday.
    Anyway since you two know your stuff Im looking for a hand with something.

I have 2 free cages and want to know a couple of things.

The cage sizes are 24x12x16(inches) and 36x24x24(again inches)

1.Which one of these would you recommend for the Beardie??Im assuming the bigger one but then would the smaller one suit my corn for a few years.Ive read that its better to keep juvenile beardies in smaller setups but cant figure out the light/heat setup(my next question)

2.If I use the smaller setup Ive no way of fitting a UVA/B bulb as the cage may be a bit small??

3.What type of fittings do I need for the UV bulbs?Heat is sorted(ceramic bulb holder and 60watt is ok I assume)I have ordinary flouresecent bulb housings--can I buy just the tube to fit into these??

Theres probably more--And Ill edit this if I remember them but thanks for the help.

Richie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The smaller one will be fine for the beardie for the time being, the 60w lamp will be fine. As for UV the smallest tubes are 18 inch tubes which fit into fish lamp starter.

Hope that helps
    :)

Richie - 007 posted the above info I guess the I will have to add to it! MEN he never types what I say!

Whilst the beardie is young he/she will be fine in the smaller viv - when its all grown up I would say that a minimum size should be 48x24x24 this size will be suitable for a pair of beardies any more then you need a bigger viv.

As my hubby says uv tubes start at 18inches usually a fish starter is used for a 4foot tube needs a florecent fitting.

Beardies as you know eat both meat & veg for my 3 they get a mealworm salad I use grated parsnip, corgette & occasional carrot with watercress, wild rocket, nastursiums leaves & flowers, some lettuce as a treat grapes occasional sweet peppers etc add a generous pinch of mealworms & sprinkle with calcium & vitimins etc & give crickets size 3 for smaller beardies once they are a good size you can offer some locusts & the occasional pinky (mine wont eat pinkies)

In my opinion they are the BEST lizards they are so laid back etc a great little lizards! Post pics please! when you pic him/her up.

Faye-Bond

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Great thanks for the help Faye/Bond.

Anyway one more question--Where should I mount the UVA/B bulb.In its current position its about 12 inches above the floor of the cage and when I put in a basking rock it will be around 8 inches above this.Is this ok as some sites Ive read recommend no more than 6 inches away from the basking spot and in order to do this Ill have to move the fittings which Id prefer not to do.
    Its an 18 inch tube with 30% uva and 5% uvb.Think its a reptiglo 5?

I have everything set up and ready for the Beardie and my temps seem fine.Basking spot is 110f cold end is 90f.

One more while Im at it.
    Actually 2 more.

1.What substrate is best for a baby beardie??
    2.What ratio of cricks to greens should I feed at this age(about 8 weeks 10" or so)Do they eat many crickets.On some sites it suggests as many as 100 crickets a day(seems a bit much).
    Anyway thans again.Cant wait to collect it--Might even go today.
    Richie.

Oh and while Im at it-Its the small one I set up--Im building a Viv into an alcove in the lounge specially for when the Beardie gets bigger.It will be 6ft x 18inches x (whatever height you recommend).I cant go any wider due to the size of the alcove.And Im only keeping one so I think it will be big enough for just one.
    Im going to use the other Viv for when the corn gets bigger.

I have all my bulbs 12inches above the floor & use a rock under the basking light as this will be nice & warm! I use kitchen paper this is fine for young beardies - I may use sand when my dudes grow up - I feed my guys every other day do a smallish bowl of mealworm salad about a hamster sized food bowl is good for a hatchling & feed 1 box of crickets - Beardies are PIGS and will eat & eat!

The viv you are building sounds a perfect size I'd go for 24inches high they are not great climbers. Let me know how he settles in! I adore beardies they really are the best lizards in my opinion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Bond-007 wrote:
    I feed my guys every other day do a smallish bowl of mealworm salad about a hamster sized food bowl is good for a hatchling & feed 1 box of crickets - Beardies are PIGS and will eat & eat!

So is every second day a good choice for juveniles as well?
    Richie

• Advertisement

I'd say feed every 2 days so it doesnt get too fat! Beardies are PIGS! they will eat as much as you can throw at them!.

Faye

Bond,
    Another question for you.My beardies is going to be kept in our conservatory all the time but Im having problems setting up the heat for the cage.Daytime temps are in the region of 95F(hot end) with the basking spot of approx 100F(thermoter wont read any higher) which I believe is fine for the daytime.

My problem is nighttime temps.I cant get the cage heated over 60F.What would you recommend to use for this.I have a spare heat mat which I believe are not recommended for Beardies but I was thinking of putting it on the side of the cage to raise the night time temps.Would this work??
    Its either that or a 15-20 watt red bulb.I really need to sort this out before next Wednesday before I collect my Baby.
    Again thanks.
    Richie.

a heat mat on the side will be fine or you can get an infared bulb temp at night should be 75-80 so a heat mat should work just fine.

Sorry I didn't see this till now! I will send you my email address by pm so if you need advice asap just mail me.

Hope this helps?

Faye Bond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

007 about mealworms are they nutritious for beardies and not other lizards? i have a sailfin and my cousin in england a chameloen and both our dealers have told us mealworms are a only useful as a variant to crickets\locusts, basicly like a junk food treat for the animal as not many nutrients in them

All insect have certian nutrients in them - in the wild they would eat a HUGE variety of bugs - to increase the nutrients you have to gut load them - I tend to use tropical fish flakes & fruit & veg - they last a lost longer this way too . Crickets & locust should be the main food - but mealworms, waxworms, silkworms & stick insects & spiders all help to create a fully balanced diet.

Hope this helps

Faye-Bond

• Advertisement

thats very true, usually i throw random bugs into the tank, daddy long legs great chasing material, woodlice also recieved happily. Not too mad on earthworms maybe other sprecies would be. Never thoughta fish flakes for crickets, sounds like a good idea.

You feed much veg straight to your lizards? mines quite choosy, only thing she'l bite at is tomato!

What lizard do you have?

My bearies & my water dragon will all eat a mealworm sald - grated parsnip & corgettue, chopped grapes, kale, watercress & wild rocket & occasional tomato & nasturtium add a spoonful of mealworms & voila - a salad fit for a beardie etc. Twice a week sprinkle with calcium & vitumins.

Sailfin Lizard(sometimes sailfin dragon)

Fairly similar in most ways to a a water dragon so just gotta train her in i guess

Advertisement