Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email from mobiles?

Options
  • 08-10-2004 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

How do I send an email from my mobile phone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr-X

It depends what operator your on. Do you mean send by a text message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Im on Vodafone, you need to be set up on vodafone live which you most probavly are if you have one of the new GPRS enabled phones. Im using the Sagem MyV55, if this is any help to you this is how i send an E-mail from my phone. I go to write a text but select MMS write out the text add sound and pics if needed select send, then insted of writing in a number i go to options and select ABC mode then just enter the email address and send. If this dose not work for you plaes post the detaills of your phone and service provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

If its not the Optikus way your looking for the only other way I know of is your with meteor (which dont know if you are!) you can log onto the wap site my meteor and send emails logging is using your msn, hotmail or my meteor email address.

This can be done from the vodafone live wapsite but I think you can only use a vodafone.ie email address, havent been able to do it using hotmail one for some reason....????

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

i can send emails from my phone,its a nokia 3510 with o2,it works in a similar way to sending a text message.I dont have to go on wap or anything.I dont need to have a hotmail or vodafone or o2 email address.Does anyone know how much it costs to send one?Since they dont seem to publish how much it costs to send a email from a mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

i can send emails from my phone,its a nokia 3510 with o2,it works in a similar way to sending a text message.I dont have to go on wap or anything.I dont need to have a hotmail or vodafone or o2 email address.Does anyone know how much it costs to send one?Since they dont seem to publish how much it costs to send a email from a mobile.
    It costs the same as a MMS message, well on vodafone anyway which is now only 20c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'm using a Nokia, not sure of the number but it's the one Vodafone were advertising in an orange version and then only sold in a blue version. Rubber all round so if you drop it you don't kill it, and it's not as easy to drown as my last one.

I want to send emails from the phone (rather than texts) because I have contacts in Japan to whom I'd like to send short emails in case of urgency.

I've set up a Vodafone email, but the Vodafone page doesn't actually tell you how to *send* a mail from your phone, oddly.

And if I want to receive an email in the form of a text, rather than as a voice message, how can I do that? The Vodafone page says I can, but it doesn't say how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

A number of ways in which you can send an email with your Vodafone phone.

1. MMS enabled phone you can send as MMS message.

2. Text message type MAIL leave a space then the email address and then the message.

Example MAIL someaddress@email.com Hey, how are you?

3. From your last post this seems the most likely one. Set up an email account on Vodafone.ie. Then obtain the POP 3 settings for email client on your phone also available on vodafone.ie. ( This is only available to billpay customers )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

luckat wrote:
    I'm using a Nokia, not sure of the number...

hi, would really need to know this - then the features / spec of the phone can be determined to see what email options you have - re: info that helps get a relevant response

if you look at the label under the battery you should see the model number marked there - or looking at www.nokia.com could also help you identify it...
    luckat wrote:
    I want to send emails from the phone (rather than texts) because I have contacts in Japan to whom I'd like to send short emails in case of urgency.

will depend on the handset what is possible, but Doublezero8's post above outlines the possibilities offered by Vodafone
    luckat wrote:
    I've set up a Vodafone email, but the Vodafone page doesn't actually tell you how to *send* a mail from your phone, oddly.

yeah details on their site can be buried deep - they stuck up an Online Care Centre that attempts to present info in a more helpful / structured format
    luckat wrote:
    And if I want to receive an email in the form of a text, rather than as a voice message, how can I do that? The Vodafone page says I can, but it doesn't say how.

you can receive a text notification when a new email arrives to your Vodafone mail account, but not the text of the email itself

BrianG

2. Text message type MAIL leave a space then the email address and then the message.

Example MAIL someaddress@email.com Hey, how are you?

... and send it to 51745
    Set up an email account on Vodafone.ie. Then obtain the POP 3 settings for email client on your phone also available on vodafone.ie. (This is only available to billpay customers)

hi, is that pre-pay restriction new? - have been able to check my RTG mail account with a POP client (although noticed the online Care Centre mentions this restriction too?)

thanks,
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

hi, is that pre-pay restriction new? - have been able to check my RTG mail account with a POP client (although noticed the online Care Centre mentions this restriction too?)

thanks,
    BrianG

Hey,

Nope that restriction has always been in place for prepay accounts with Vodafone. The thing is if you some how manage to get provisioned with the isp apn on vodafone systems it will work :)

• Advertisement

unfortunately never managed to get ISP GPRS provisioned for a RTG account... :(

just gave it a shot dialling into the Mobile ISP from the handset (CSD call) - would be good to see Voda support the ISP GPRS service for pre-pay though

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭seagizmo

A number of ways in which you can send an email with your Vodafone phone.

3. From your last post this seems the most likely one. Set up an email account on Vodafone.ie. Then obtain the POP 3 settings for email client on your phone also available on vodafone.ie. ( This is only available to billpay customers )

If you sign up for Vodafone.ie email, you can send and receive emails to from handsets via wap (charged per kb, not sure how much). You get 10mb free email address, virus scanning, spam filtering and FREE text notificiations to you vodafone number of new email. It doesn't matter whether you are bill pay or ready to go. I've been using it for about 4 years (used to be e-merge) and it has been pretty good. They don't spam you either which is great!

SG

hi, with that point Doublezero8 was referring to POP access rather than basic WAP - with POP you use a 'real' email client on a supporting handset - this can allow you to handle email a lot better than browsing through pages on a WAP browser - however it requires an Internet/ISP connection which Vodafone don't really support for pre-pay customers (i.e. they don't currently offer GPRS ISP or HSCSD access for Ready To Go accounts) - although a Mobile ISP (087-087) CSD dial-up call is possible

BrianG

Advertisement