Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pub and Club rip off

• 08-10-2004 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭

Would just like to know what your opinions are on the rip of prices being charged by publicans in pubs and clubs? Personally i am fed up with being ripped off and have cut back going out big time, so have loads of people i know. Im twenty but i was talking to my boss and a few of his mates who are in their late fortys and they have had enough too. They can blame the smoking ban all they like and yes im sure it has led to a small decline, but i think people just arent prepared to fork out vast sums of money for something at the end of the day we just p*ss out. I go to bondi beach club in Stillorgan fairly often, where prices are very reasonable,i wouldnt expect to pay less than 3 euro for a pint in a club, bottles of wicked and bacardi are also 3 and and a pint of fat frog is 4.5 which i think is value for money, but town is a rip off, was in redz and ordered a pint which set me back a fiver, and the a mate ordered a wicked which was 6 euro. It couldn believe it, i mean i have to work almost an hour for that! Ive stopped going out as much and i dont necesarily have more money cause i spend it on other things, but atleast i have something to show for it like clothes or whatever... I think theres a limit where people are willing to pay up to a certain amount for an item, but i think alot of people limit has been passed by greedy publicans. Despite the fact i love nights out and even a few months ago went out several nights a week i was hoping they would be forced to shut down at 1.30, cause they would have been put out of business and i wouldnt have any sympathy for them, dont mind whatever they say about overheads, taxes bla bla bla, bottom line is were being fleeced!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Idbatterim wrote:
    and the a mate ordered a wicked which was 6 euro. It couldn believe it, i mean i have to work almost an hour for that!

When you look @ it like that & think about what your consumption of alcohol is in an hour in a boozer - it starts to become VERY worrying....

I'd never looked @ it like this... considering I used to get through alcoholic drinks like they were water - this explains alot.... altho, alot can be said for some tinnies & a night in..... far cheaper, easier & more comfortable... not to mention, a short distance to travel to your bed when yer pissed out of your skull - LOL

::: ven0mous :::

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

ven0m wrote:
    altho, alot can be said for some tinnies & a night in..... far cheaper, easier & more comfortable... not to mention, a short distance to travel to your bed when yer pissed out of your skull - LOL
    with rip-off ireland these days im finding alot of my friends are doing this now, when they wouldnt have even considered it even a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

with rip-off ireland these days im finding alot of my friends are doing this now, when they wouldnt have even considered it even a year ago.

least ur mates copped on - my friends have yet to cop onto this!!!! grrrrrr!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I paid 2E for a f***ing pint of blackcurrant. I s**t u not. 2 euro .

ven0m wrote:
    least ur mates copped on - my friends have yet to cop onto this!!!! grrrrrr!!!!

they'll cop on once they feel a big pinch in their pocket. or you could always keep pestering them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Boycott the places.

They're already starting to get worried and are actually dropping their prices a little (despite claims that they're just barely "breaking even").

in clonmel in tipp, there are 2 main nightclubs. until last year everyone was going to one of them, and paying loads of money to get in then expensive drinks... now everyone is going to the free nightclub, and not paying through the roof for their drinks. the club that charges, is now offering big concessions on everynight its open, just to keep up, showing how much they were milking of the crowds every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Mear wrote:
    I paid 2E for a f***ing pint of blackcurrant. I s**t u not. 2 euro .

FFS that is madness, Name and shame. The moan about drink drivers yet the prices of mineral or even blackcurrant is mad, totally mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

I was in a Wetherspoons in London last nite. They are charging £1.98 for most double spirit + mixer combos. Bottles of beer (Becks, Corona, Stella) for 99p The power of competition eh? :mad:

I should point out that the double amounts to 50ml, rather then an Irish single at just over 35ml but still a biiiiiig difference.

Speaking of Wetherspoons, I'd heard that they had bought a place in town but had to sell it as they needed to obtain ~10 more sites. Sounds like a bit of a influence was used there to me... does anyone know any more, or am I talking sh**e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

I've personally noticed that a lot of places are beginning to serve cheaper drinks due to (I presume) the drop in sales since everywhere started overcharging for pints. It really is a disgrace that they can mark the drinks up by that much.

BTW go to redz for ugly women and expensive drink. Nobody I know with any kind of brain will go there and pay their shít prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

was walking by the parnell-mooney the other day and they has a sign outside saying all pints 3 euro.
    so if your in town looking for a cheap pint check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

redz is a kip, i went there last nite and never again. all the fellas/girls look exactly the same and the dance floor is actaully dangerous considering the amount of chancers there. im never going back there!

aside from the atmosphere, the prices are extortion, 5.20eur pint miller/6eur blue wkd/4.80 pint a guinness.

we should boycott redz, anyone reading this, don't go there and pay these prices!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

*sigh*
    another weekend, another topic about someone moaning about prices or getting refused..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What amazes me is that me and the buddies were in Spain a few weeks ago. You literally go out for a dead nice meal, have a skin full of drinks and have change from €30.

I live in Cork, and a few pubs are still just about ok, price wise. €3.60 for lager, €3.35 for stout, €3 for Beamish, €3.80 cider draft and €4 for pint bottle. Im not counting alco pops, because they arent drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

gimmick wrote:
    Im not counting alco pops, because they arent drinks.

They are for some of the faggots in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Chalk wrote:
    was walking by the parnell-mooney the other day and they has a sign outside saying all pints 3 euro.
    so if your in town looking for a cheap pint check it out

That's just around the corner from where I live.
    Is it not a bit dodgy? I might not be thinking of the right place, but there always seems to be drunk couples outside screaming at eachother..

3 euro a pint though.. hmm not bad!

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

****in eamon dorans charged me 4.20 for a smithwicks there on saturday, never going there again. i paid 3.20 for a smithwicks down in the sticks last year, and it was a far better pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

A mate was in Cafe En Seine on sat night.
    45 Euros for 4 pints and 2 gin and tonics.....

Keep on moaning about it but what are you going to do about it?

Answer - dont go to pubs anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

If you don't like it don't drink in the pub ... get drunk at home, go out ... sneak some vodka with you .. and just order glasses of ice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Can ye post these prices on http://www.drinkfeckgirls.com
    Want to see if cafe INSANE prices have gone up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The VFI were saying recently that if the government would drop 20c off the price of a pint that they'd drop another 30/40c themselves, just shows the kind of margins they have if they're willing to do that. Shows how scared they are too. In a country like Ireland, running a pub should be like printing your own money but they've gotten so greedy they're destroying their own market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

We have started having beer busts after work to replace the traditional thursday or friday night drinks. Couple of slabs of cans between workmates costs nothing. Helps if your boss is sound, and / or a pisshead. (Disclaimer: My boss is not a pisshead :) )

However we always end up heading to a pub later on due to the effect said cans have on our resolve to teach pubs/clubs a lesson. Still we used to head to the pub straight after work!

Damned alcohol.

Similarly mates would often have a few cans or wine before hitting a pub at the w/end, but I think I still spend the same amount - just in half the time!

Advertisement