Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L driver going to Belfast

Options
  • 08-10-2004 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, aside from the fact an L driver is supposed to be accompanied by a fully licensed driver in the republic, what is the situation with going to Belfast? Is it the same situation as going to France and the likes? As in, my insurance is not valid abroad? Is it valid in Belfast? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Don't quote me on this but as far as I am aware your provisional licence will have no validity outside of the Republic. So long as you policy covers you on driving abroad you will be ok insurancewise but if you get stopped and asked for your licence you will not have anything to show them...

Don't know if NI is an exception to this though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Even if the ROI Provo license is valid in the North

" you must have someone with you whenever you are driving. The person supervising you must sit in the front passenger seat and be fit to drive the vehicle, for example, they must not be drunk. They must also be aged 21 or over and have had a full driving licence for at least three years. "

As for your insurance read the back of the page !
    one of the conditions is that you must have a valid license for the car and not be disqualified. I don't know if they would use that clause to weasel out of paying compo up there.

Also note that they are stricter about L plates up there - many of the cut down ones here would not do.

http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/ NI driving site

http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/driverzh.htm - No mention of allowing ROI Provo licenses.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Many years ago whilst on prov licence (1 & 2) I drove in the north and was stopped many times by the RUC/army at various checkoints. Never anything said about my licence.
    Presumably different nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

You should have a full licence, but of course all you have to say is "ohh dear officer I seem to have left it at home"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

provisional licence is only valid in the republic. iirc it says so on the licenec itself. worst case scenario you could get done for driving without a licence and you'd be screwed if you were in an accident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So, do you drive on the motorway or drive through west* Belfast?

*Marginally better than driving through east Belfast with an Irish registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

well I ended up taking the bus. Damn public transport, only home now. left at 12 noon yesterday,spent most of the 36 hours travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

L driver wont be recognise by other countries, NI goes by the UK rules, so you shouldnt be driving there with a L license, regardless of rather you have a person with a full license or not, but then again they dont seems to care!

yea public transport is a pain!!! :cool:

Advertisement