Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art theme thingys

Options
  • 08-10-2004 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

Who here is doing jc art this year?

What "theme" are ye picking?I think ill do street market.Im not sure yet though.. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm doing art.

I suppose for anyone who wants to know, the starting points are
    Waterside Activities
    All the Fun of the Fair
    Street Market
    Off the Beaten Track
    Development

I think they're not as good as others I've seen but they'll do. I'm probably doing Development. It seems to be a fairly open theme, although I already have an idea, I don't want to set it in stone just yet. Only got them on wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm doing honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i remember my art course for the JC, did nothing for the whole year, handen in an unfinished project and got a (C) in honours#

those themes arent the best ive seen, we had things to do with music, that can bring you anywhere

I suppose this thread can do for my art related question, of sorts.
    Right, my friend goes to a Loreto (I'm not sure if that's relevant but it could be), and she has been forbidden to take any of her art project aside from prepwork and support studies home, because the teacher is supposedly supposed to sign it confirming that she WATCHED them do the art project.

Is this insane or is it just me? I'm allowed to bring my stuff home, obviously. How else would I get it done?

I'm not allowed unless it's for homework. I can probably stay late in school or use supervised time to do it.

• Advertisement

Well, the art project is sort of homework. I mean, you have to get it done... so technically that would fall under the bracket of homework for me.

I reckon it'd take a LOT of effort from my school to stop me from taking my stuff home...

Fair enough I suppose but my teacher said that she thinks a few of us might not use our own work (you know the way we're all dirty rotten liars and we cheat all the time?)

Yeah, there is that argument.
    However, I think if the teacher realises it's not your own work they can refuse to sign it and therefore it'd be void for you, so it'd be in your own interests to actually not cheat.

Of course, not everyone realises this. Interestingly enough I've had a couple people asking me to do their projects for them... :rolleyes:

(they're not paying enough)

sure I wouldnt cheat anyhoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

However, I think if the teacher realises it's not your own work they can refuse to sign it and therefore it'd be void for you,
    (they're not paying enough)

my art teacher let us bring it home, i dont recall him having to sign my project though.

theres a big long list of rules regarding not using your own work etc.

youre not going to do a good project during school time in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭chizzle dizzle

I done my junior cert last year and took art(got an A in honour i must add!!), the themes this year are so much harder than the ones that we got last year, its kinda scabby. But ye they dont want you to bring them home because they say there is a chance that you might trace or copy some piece of work.

Our teacher told us a story that this one guy was doing art one year and he didn't do any of his drawings in school. His dad was really good at art and so the student stole one of his dad's paintings and just used it for his project without doing anything!! Shoch Horror!! the teacher knew that he didnt do it cause he wasn't the best at art and when he came in to school with this really good painting she knew there was somthing up. Anyway's in the end he never got a grade for his project
    So there you go, lesson learned........dont cheat!!

just to give you all a bit of advice, start your project NOW because I swear you will quickly run out of time, especially if your doing honours. you may not think it now but the months are going quickly by.

sorry for the length of this, I'm sure you have to go study!!

oh "Chizzle Dizzle" I am soooo ashamed of you. "I done my junior cert"???
    What has happened to that brain of yours?

I done my junior cert last year and took art(got an A in honour i must add!!), the themes this year are so much harder than the ones that we got last year, its kinda scabby. But ye they dont want you to bring them home because they say there is a chance that you might trace or copy some piece of work.

Our teacher told us a story that this one guy was doing art one year and he didn't do any of his drawings in school. His dad was really good at art and so the student stole one of his dad's paintings and just used it for his project without doing anything!! Shoch Horror!! the teacher knew that he didnt do it cause he wasn't the best at art and when he came in to school with this really good painting she knew there was somthing up. Anyway's in the end he never got a grade for his project
    So there you go, lesson learned........dont cheat!!

just to give you all a bit of advice, start your project NOW because I swear you will quickly run out of time, especially if your doing honours. you may not think it now but the months are going quickly by.

sorry for the length of this, I'm sure you have to go study!!

aw no way she told me that story last week, you know the teacher was her brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah, your themes suck. My themes were..

Waiting
    Nightlife
    Exploring
    The Show
    Car Boot Sale

I picked Nightlife and got an A (in pass, as chizzle dizzle will remind me if I don't put that in)

Not as if I'm not good enough for honours...my embroidery took 6 weeks to do and I was forced to drop down to pass because I was under a lot of pressure time-wise.

Still, my embroidery IS a masterpiece. Better than Chizzle Dizzles whole project. No really, it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭chizzle dizzle

Ye your embriodery took you for ever but its not a master piece, you wish!! my project was better than anything you could ever do!!

sorry about this other people who dont us. We'll stop.

Yeah yeah SURE.

I have to say that the embroidery is quite well done, but chizzle's pope thingy or whatever it was good too.

Sorry others for not knowing what im on about.

The pope thingy was homework, not part of her project.

Quite well done? You loved my embroidery...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

grimloch wrote:
    i remember my art course for the JC, did nothing for the whole year, handen in an unfinished project and got a (C) in honours#

those themes arent the best ive seen, we had things to do with music, that can bring you anywhere
    I had music as my theme too, got a B in honours.

Re: the schools not letting students bring work home, are they providing time outside timetabled classes for ye to work on your projects? Cos otherwise that's nonsense, it's like saying you can't bring your maths home outside class times :rolleyes: Unless someone else does the entire project for you, any examiner would be able to tell the difference in standard between parts of the work, so they'd twig the cheating pretty quickly.

fozzle wrote:
    Re: the schools not letting students bring work home, are they providing time outside timetabled classes for ye to work on your projects? Cos otherwise that's nonsense, it's like saying you can't bring your maths home outside class times :rolleyes: Unless someone else does the entire project for you, any examiner would be able to tell the difference in standard between parts of the work, so they'd twig the cheating pretty quickly.
    My friend can only do her prepwork at home. It's pure madness!
    Seriously, if I couldn't take mine home it wouldn't get finished.
    (I spent about 80 minutes one day drawing BRICKS)

• Advertisement

I have changed my mind yet again, now i'm doing The Developement of Art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 robert1635baske

hey,just wondering what is it that must go dowm for support studies for jc honours art??Do you have to research an artist and explain how your pieces fit in with your original theme??i need to know,any one? :confused:

On mine, I just got a bunch of pictures that 'inspired' me, or had vague relationships to my project/starting point, then wrote some stuff about what the starting point had to do with my project anyway. And then I mentioned Dali briefly because I did mine on surrealism.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

My art teacher,every break time, goes and sits in her car and lights up a nice fattie.I see her every day Im in German class.So obviously it comes into class with her.When I did my Junior Cert, she tried to be all strict about the fact that you had to do all of the project in school, but people literally walked out of school with the different sheets under their arms.Of course she doesnt notice, I even saw her agree to it once or twice, then give out crap to them the next day.
    And ya, your topics are pretty crappy this year.When I did mine, I did "My Special Place". Sounds kinda gay, but it meant I could literally do what I want.Which I did :D (B in Honors btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

My friend can only do her prepwork at home. It's pure madness!
    Seriously, if I couldn't take mine home it wouldn't get finished.
    (I spent about 80 minutes one day drawing BRICKS)

I had to do that too! (Well, actually, I drew half of them, got tired, and decided to go for that rustic painted feel.)

Why amn't I studying now!

I made the foolish decision of having a brick archway feature prominently in my painting...

Advertisement