Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New domain , new email ?

Options
  • 09-10-2004 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an existing host and domain, and i am looking to get a .ie . If the .ie url will be linked to my existing host, will the email i have with that host work with the .ie domain, for example if user@domain.com sends it to my pop 3 account with that host, will user@domain.ie send it to the same if i am using the same dns. I've a feeling the answer is no, i've had a long day and not really thinking straight, so it's probably a stupid question, Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Short answer - yes it can work.

If I understand your question:

You have a domain - somedomain.com and are now thinking of getting a .ie - somedomain.ie
    you currently have x@somedomain.com and want to know what will happen to x@somedomain.ie

Is that it?

If so your host should be able to setup a domain alias, co-domain or forwarding domain (terminology varies)
    All email for domain2 -> domain1
    so x@domain2 -> x@domain1

Edit: Make sure you contact your host to let them know about the second domain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Your host will need to configure the DNS, web server and email server settings accordingly to alias the domain, but its a simple task once you let them know what you require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

cheers guys, thanks for the help, I'll probably get the domain soon through you guys at blackknight

Advertisement