Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RC Cars/trucks...

Options
  • 09-10-2004 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

can't think of any other forum to put this in so mods feel free to move it if you think it belongs elsewhere.

Just a quick question really regarding RC cars and trucks, i have a particular truck in mind which i want to get probably sometime shortly after xmas.
    The truck in question is the new Power Racing Raptor 27
    http://www.modelsinmotion.co.uk/product.asp?productid=5430

I know that there was an irish site that had rc cars and equipment, based up in dun laoghaire i think it was. Anybody know where that site is? i have searched high and low and cannot find it again, wanna price a few things like nitro and maybe a good radio so i don't have to get everything in from england, especially with the nitro, not sure how customs would like that going through :eek:

Does anyone know what kinda range you can get outta these machines as i seem to be able to find no info on the range of these things at all, i assume that it would be down to the transmitter and reciever but even in the parts section i could'nt find any reference to distances or anything like that :-\

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The site you're looking for might be

http://www.planetfun.org/

Fairly cool site, with loads of interesting stuff. Don't know anything about RC cars though, so can't help you there. Would love to own one though!!

Si.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We need a games and pastimes board! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

Cheers for the link SuprSi, a quick look at it and i'm pretty sure that i was in a different place as they dealt only with rc gear, it was like a big hobby shop or something, anyways cheers for the link will look through t in more detail and see what they have got :)

well just incase anyone else is interested i did manage to find that website after a good bit of search, it is www.startinggrid.ie :)

now to do some more research on these machines, seen a few excellent video clips of what they can do and i can wait to get the money together for one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

I had posted a similar question the other day.

This is exactly what I was looking for, Many thanks!!

BTW do you know of any clubs/associations/meeting in Ireland for rc cars and trucks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I have a 1/10 petrol touring car and it goes pretty far.
    Far enough to become to hard to judge distance and make it scary, i mean i goes 30+mph and more and gets wrecked pretty easy and you paid good money for it.
    I gor mine in boys toys on the old airport road. There's anotherr place in town he has some stuff not much (fuel anyway), not sure what street its on (one near o'connel, has furniture shops and some adult shops on the same road)

Jozi

Was hoping to try and find out if there are any clubs around myself but so far i've not had much look, but then again since i'm going for an off road machine so i dunno how well it would handle on a track doing about 70mph :eek:

I'm in South Tipp/Waterford area and have heard there maybe a club or a track somewhere in the waterford area, gonna have a scout about tomorrow and ask in some of the hobbie shops and see if they can give me any more info, if i find out anything i'll let you know.

Managed to find the model center today when i was in waterford, i asked about clubs and tracks in the area, there is a club that meet on sundays but the track is'nt a perminant one, they meet out by the sports center on the tramore road, just passed superquin.

They were allowed to setup piping on a small area of land (for off road trucks)and also a tennis court (for on road cars). They said that recently there have been problems coz the sports centre is planning to build on the site they are using but they are trying to get some land further away from the center so they could setup a more perminant track with jumps and all that in it. They don't know when they will get an answer about the whole thing, guys in the model centre said maybe xmas or early new year :-\

Just picked up the october edition of Radio Control Car Action while down there, although it's an american mag it's got plenty of useful info and tips on everythign from setting up and tuning the cars/trucks to upgrading and racing. Good reviews on cars and parts alike, this issue had 70+ truck tyres tested in it :)

Still hoping to get into RC racing with that crazy machine in my first post whenever i get the money together for it, and if i do i will try join a club and see if we can get some regular meets going on as i'm sure it would be a great laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

A good site for getting nitro cars or trucks is RCVRACING.com . Its an american site but i got a car there for €270 and i didnt have any problem getting it through customs so its well worth having a look if you're interested because the majority of irish model shops just import from America or England anyway so you might aswell cut out the middleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

There used to be a group of r/c racers met on sunday mornings in the carpark of a college on the southside of Dublin. Belfield I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement