Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System Shock 3? ...well, sort of.

Options
  • 09-10-2004 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Story here.

Irrational Games have announced BioShock, which they are saying is the 'spiritual successor' to SS2, and which they have (apparently) spent 3 years desiging.

Although I'm a little bit disappointed that its not a direct continuation of SS (and hence wont have Shodan) the concept of the game does seem very interesting, and seems to include most of the elements of gameplay and storytelling that made SS2 so great. So after having my hopes dashed so many times prehaps there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel?

One to watch out for next year at the least.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

I bet its a nazi base its always them crazy nazi's.
    Looks good, maybe it was better they let the system shock licence go to remain a classic.

Pondering thought: "Will there be psychic monkeys?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Something to look forward to then - I like the way theyre able to exploit the "shock" franchise without being bound by the rules of that series. One point of concern is the way theyre talking about simplifying the HUD. All grand in theory - no body likes a cluttered HUD, but it just rings the same "consolitis" alarm bells for me that Deus Ex 2 did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Sand wrote:
    Something to look forward to then - I like the way theyre able to exploit the "shock" franchise without being bound by the rules of that series. One point of concern is the way theyre talking about simplifying the HUD. All grand in theory - no body likes a cluttered HUD, but it just rings the same "consolitis" alarm bells for me that Deus Ex 2 did.

Y'know, I was thinking exactly the same thing. The only hope is that they'll be like minded and learn from Deus Ex 2's mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

pat kenny wrote:
    I bet its a nazi base its always them crazy nazi's.

It's a scientifically proven fact that the addition of Nazis makes everything better. Much like zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Carpo

amp wrote:
    Y'know, I was thinking exactly the same thing. The only hope is that they'll be like minded and learn from Deus Ex 2's mistakes.

Me three. However, from what I gather Irrational make games for the PC pretty much exclusivly so hopefully they wont be worrying about a port and the 'dumbed down' console demographic. Also, seeing as they are using a modified version of the Tribes Vengence engine, it will hopefully support nice big enviroments, unlike the tiny ones which plauged DX2 are were the big draw back in Thief 3.

Course that might be the optomism talking, but after so many years of hopeing against the odds, a lil more wont do any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a scientifically proven fact that the addition of Nazis makes everything better. Much like zombies.

And monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And ninjas. Oh, for the day when someone makes a game featuring Nazi ninja monky-zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Pirates also make things cool. This cannot be denied.

Advertisement