Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if we had our own online server?

Options
  • 09-10-2004 3:30pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We've been kicking about the idea of putting up our own poker room online. Like the Gutshot club have. It would allow us the control to arrange online events for readers of SA/Boards who are outside the pale (or indeed the state!)

theres a bit of setup to it but it could be nice to have our own private online club for online games just as we use the Merrion/Fitz for offline events.

Would you play on it?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Depends on the rake etc, how much traffic goes through, i'd say you would struggle to start Dev but after a year or so i'd say it could very well develop into somthing big.

Often had the same thought but what would be the legal requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Samba wrote:
    Depends on the rake etc, how much traffic goes through, i'd say you would struggle to start Dev but after a year or so i'd say it could very well develop into somthing big.

Often had the same thought but what would be the legal requirements?
    If you win stuff, it illegal, and if you play with real money, its illegal. Aside from that, I think its pretty much legal.
    Some "business party" places have poker, etc, and once they(the consumers) don't win "real" money, its seemingly OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

Can I just make a request that if you do go ahead with your own server that you use a Java client rather than a platform-specific one. This would allow people who don't use Windows e.g. Mac, Unix, Linux to participate.

David Stewart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

What exactly do you mean by private online club? Do you mean that you just have tournaments or that there is regular SnG's and possibly ring games or what?

One potential hurdle that I can see, initially at least, is what tournaments you have in terms of buy-ins. Different people will want to play at different buy-in amounts and you may not be able to have tournaments with enough people for all amounts.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What I'm thinking is that initially we'd "open" it at specific times for online SA-type tournies, the same way we play offline tournies on a specific day and a specific time. However it might be nice to have an online site where everyone knows your name so to speak. Have running cash games and a heads-up area (someone mentioned that they can never get a game of heads up with their mates online).

Its not trivial to set up but we're seriously mad about poker as you can probably tell and this might be a way to indulge our deviant addiction. :)

Eventually the idea would be to build it up I guess into a full poker site.
    I dunno, its just an opportunity thats arisen and might be a bit crazy but sounds like fun...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

It seems like a hell of a lot of work .Where are you going to get the tmoney for initial setup costs, (Like Hardware, Software & Legal Expenses etc etc), how will you handle payments/cash outs etc?

I admit though, this is slightly better than your 300 on black idea :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hey, I liked that "300 on Black" idea (and it was only 200). I bet ye wouldnt be complaining if it won :)

Re: Cash, I dunno, just testing the water, see if theres interest. Might be fun to run our own little private place on the net? (the only trouble I can see would be that there'd be a much higher standard then say PartyPoker hahah...)

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

DeVore wrote:
    the only trouble I can see would be that there'd be a much higher standard then say PartyPoker hahah...

DeV.

Not if you let people like me play..... :D

Advertisement