Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Off Ebay

Options
  • 09-10-2004 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

If this is against the rules,please remove.

Iv been looking around for a phone, and have got nowhere with all the ridiculous prices around so i was thinking of going to ebay. Obviously it depends on the seller but in general, is it dodgy to buy phones from here? Also, if i buy a English Vodafone Locked phone, will it work with vodafone over here? The prices on ebay are much more resonable (even if 2nd hand) so it would save me a lot of money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

My Advice Is No
    1 It Could Be Stolen
    2 It Might Be Broken
    3 You Can Most Likely Get In At The Same Price In Newry At Carphone Wherehouse Or Phones4u.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

if its stolen or broken it will be listed in the item discription as barred or faulty!!

that'd be ones to watch for!! (avoid)

also you can get a lot of ones that are just a link to another site where you can get a phone for pennies!!

there is a lot of legit people on there and the feedback system lets you know if a person is decent or a scam artist!!

I get quite a bit of stuff off ebay mainly cars stuff but I had to get a phone while I was waitin on my insurance replacement came so got it off ebay!!

keep yours eyes open and use the ask seller a question part if you're unsure about anythin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

i tried to sell a nokia3510 on ebay,but i never got an offer on it.it was only 26.00sterling!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

when selling be careful how you list things!!

I've seen ppl listing things like yours as say

NOKIA 3510 (NOT 3510I 7250I 6610I OR CAMERA PHONE)

will show your phone when someone searches for 3510i etc etc!!

really off topic though!!

A phone locked to vodafone UK will not work when used on vodafone Ireland, unless it is already unlocked of course.
    The SIM lock works by locking a specific network ID. In the UK, vodafone's network ID is 234-15 while in Ireland its 272-01.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Of course you could always buy it and then check the unlocking thread on here.

I know a couple of people who swear by buying phones from ebay - mostly 6210 and 6310's. I've unlocked them in the past using the sites in the sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Be careful of auctions which are only selling links to another website where you can buy the phone.

It's easy enough to spot these though, the bid price is usually very low, and it will say in the item description that you are bidding for a web link, not for the actual phone.

Other than that, buying phones on eBay seems to be safe and a very good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Flinty

I just bought a Nokia 6100 on Ebay and it worked out swell. As advertised the phone had a couple of scratches on it, but I also bought a new cover for it for €8 on ebay. The phone is €230 in the shops and I got it second hand for €90 (including P&P), unlocked and am totally happy with it. As far as I can see, if you check a members feedback you should be fine. I've only bought 5 things off ebay, but if you are careful and patiently hold out for what you want, it seems to me like a super way of getting stuff cheap.

Advertisement