Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gamer [US] half-life 2 score

Options
  • 09-10-2004 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Half-Life 2 review score average has just got better, with PC Gamer US giving it a
    98%!!

Theres a scan and comments here and confirmation from valve here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

pczone have a score 1% less. Seems like HL2 will be the game everyone hoped it would be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The average score at the moment is about 96%. Apparently someone gave it 90-92% but I don't know how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

That or theres some money changeing hands its all hype till some normal people play the game and post on boards or eurogamer post a review imho tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Can't imagine it being anything less.

just noticed how the percent was nicely blanked out in case anyone didnt want to know what score was given cept if u highlight the topic thread the text pops up displying score an all....

• Advertisement

whats with all the neg rep for saying that? i was just mentioning it.... christ stop being so trigger happy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

f*uckin hell. a magazine getsa a review and just cause it gives a high score it has to be corrupt. ?!!!! the first was game was amazing, id say this one willl be miles better.! stop criticising just for he sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

he's only suggesting that money "might" have changed hands, and he's reserving his judgement until what he calls a more "reliable" like eurogamer review it.

i can see where he's coming from, but i reckon it will be worthy of the score

he has a point evad altho whether its true or not is another matter but take games like black and white in pczone. Got amazing coverage in the lead up with lionhead diaries etc and then it got a great score in the mag... Cept while it was an innotvative game it wasnt really all that good. D3 as well got a great score in mags, then ppl started playing it and comments emerged it wasnt so hot.

Admitedly tho every vid ive seen of HL2 looks stunning so i reckon they have it right this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Aye ^ those 2 pritty much summed up what i mean.Im not suggesting there IS money changeing hands but im not ruleing it out either and untill i see some reviews by normal people and eurogamer (who i find to be spot on 90% of the time) its all hype even more so than doom 3 and well that disapointed me alot.

• Advertisement

TBH, has VALVe released a bad game?

just to drag it on a little longer doesnt it make u wonder evad? Take this example: A games magazine gives a hyped game a bad score. The maker/publisher (who are a big company say ea games) then wont give exclusives to said magazine. Magazines nned these exclusives in order to sell (in some respects anyway, the loyal readers will always buy the same mag). Do you really think a games mag gives totally honest reveiws all the time with that sort of thing going on in the background? now im off to watch some tv

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

THATS A CRAZY SCORE!

It almost suggests that the game is perfect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

98%isa bit ridiculous. 97 is pushing it but it could well be worthy. no game is worthy of 100 cause there is no such thing as gaming perfection. this could well be one of the best games of all time. its gonnna join ocarina and ff7, metroid prime and the original half life in the 'elite game room'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

evad Driver 3 fiasco is why most people are a bit sketchy towards any pre review of a game not confirmed 100% as complete.

i would like HL to be good but still Driv3l fiasco where money changed hands for a 90% review.

i wait till Eurogamer or edge review before i buy it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Just found a site showing all review scores for half-life 2 so far and feylya ya were right a dutch magazine gave it 90% which brought down average.

Valve must be going broke paying off all these magazine for a plus 90% score :rolleyes:

The List
    Publication Date/Issue Rating
    PC Gamer (UK) Issue #141 (November) 96%
    PC Gameplay (NL) Issue #103 (October) 90%
    PC Format (UK) Issue #167 (November) 96%
    PC Zone (UK) Issue #148 (December) 97%
    PC Gamer (US) ? 98%

I've seen all the movies espec the current E3 video and imo it justifies the scores if plays anything like it looks.

Interestingly though the average for 5 reviews is about 95.4% while taken against other high profiles games is not that huge (which have many reviews)

Doom 3 (PC) 88.4%
    Half-Life (PC) 94.6%
    Halo (XBox) 95.8%
    Final Fantasy VII (PS) 93.5%
    Ocarina of Time (N64) 98.4%

the above were got from gamerankings

::i have to much time on my hands :p ::

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Does it matter what score it gets? Is a 95% game worse than a 98% game? How much worse? If HL2 got 75% would that make it an average game?

The best way to figure out whether a game is great is to download the demo yourself and play it before you buy. Taking the word of a bunch of brown nosing PR hype-monkeys with typewriters isnt a real alternative. Youd think people would have learned from Doom 3.

There will be no demo...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There will be no demo...

There is only one reason why you dont put out a demo. Demos impress customers and win sales. Unless the game sucks, and youre just desperately trying to sell what you can on hype before people cope on that the emperor isnt wearing any clothes.

If its true that there isnt a demo then Id advise you to wait at least a week before you buy and see what the reaction is....

Unless they're so busy making the actual game that they don't have time to make a demo. There may well be a demo in a few months but iirc, Gabe Newell said there will be no demo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well he said there'd be no demo until the game was released.

also just pointing out doom3 had no demo before release and i wish it had :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

I think they gave it 98% so they could show that the game is near perfect bar a few flaws. Its like never getting 100% in an english exam...there is always room for improvement...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the original half life demo showed up months after the game was released and was an amazing demo all the same. So i assume they will do the same for HL2...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't trust any 'exclusive reviews'. Usually one of the terms is that the game gets a great review. The PS2 Manhunter exclusive review changed magazines a bit until it finally got a 90%+ review. The others gave it less than 50% and lost the exclusive because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The fact that Halo got more than Half Life says it all really. Reviewers are all too often impressed by a leap in graphical technology rather than the quality of an actual game. (Doom 3 for instance.) Still, 98% is an exceptional score, and the comment below re-enforces the idea that it might well be the greatest game ever. I certainly hope so.

All these reviews of the finished game, and the pre-order system on STEAM must really be heaping the pressure on Vivendi to actually release the game. I hope so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Is there any online reviews yet? Have a subscription to PCZ that hasn't arrived yet :rolleyes:

Online reviews are banned til the game is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

feylya wrote:
    Online reviews are banned til the game is out.

Sorry if this has been discussed to deaath already but why?

Probably to get money from magazines or something like that. Online reviews are accessible to everyone. Printed ones aren't as easily accessible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I'd say they'd realease a demo as they did with half-life 1, a try before you buy brings in more customers!

Advertisement