Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gamer [US] half-life 2 score

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

KdjaC wrote:
    i would like HL to be good but still Driv3l fiasco where money changed hands for a 90% review.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

It was talked alot in one of the forums here when driv3r was first realeased but searching through now i can't find the thread.

I think it was through a low brand PS2 mag that it all started as they gave a 90+ score but i dont think anything was ever proven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It wasn't PC Gamer but a low brow xbox and PS2 magazine. The proof is with the game and all the other review scores. The game stinks.

The next person to name a publication, and with out proof, to link it to money for positive reviews or review scores, will be banned.

Although Retro offers no proof, his post is grand as he doesn’t name names.

It is just this simple, reviews shouldn’t have scores. Furthermore, it’s just as simple as saying reviews are opinion, not fact.

For example, I thought the film ‘Saw’ was pretty good, but there’ll be a hole load of people who wont like it JUST because they would be sick from watching it, another load who wouldn’t be sick enough, and a handful who would have to find something wrong with it, because in an advertisement they seen some reference to some ‘masterpiece’ they love.

Doom 3 is now a classic example of people grumbling over apparently high review scores – bull ****, D3 never was meant to be (and never should have called) more then an update of what the original Dooms were.

All D3 is, is an enhancement to the Doom game-play. And Doom, along with, lets say, Pong, play just as well today as they did when first released. The only thing that has changed is perception, and maybe a wider selection and a few games that are more complicated.

Anyway, review scores aren’t meant to be a complete pictures, and any argument over a review scores should be arguments over full reviews, not just a score.

This rant has been sponsored by…

RE: 100% & perfection

Part of my far greater hate of percentages then five stars, at least most publication just say five stars is “must see/play”. Percentages, somehow, try to be scientific about opinion over an entertainment media. Entertainment is better then perfection, it’s human.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

has anybody actually read the us pcgamer review yet?
    my god american game mags are dull :eek:

i'm not going to put any faith into a review score until EG have theirs up, and i usually knock 1 off that anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dells-net

my friend in the usa played half life 2 on beta he says it brilliant he says theres 8 disk with it :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There's 6 disks. And you should shoot your friend for getting that 'leak', for it was not a beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dells-net

COUGH 8 disks and it wasnt a leak

OK, show me some documentation to support your eight disk theory.

Until then, I'll continue to believe threads like http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40824&highlight=disks]this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

They are doing a DVD version arent they? Please tell me that wasnt a dream :(

All UK releases for HL2 are on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

tba wrote:
    They are doing a DVD version arent they? Please tell me that wasnt a dream :(
    They would be idiots not to.
    Although I'm surprised that Doom III didn't come on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Who cares what medium it comes on, as long as it eventually gets here. My main worry is this latest comment from Doug Lombardi:
    We are still hopeful, however, to see the game on store shelves this fall.

As pointed out on the HalfLife2.net forums, every time Doug feels the need to assure everybody that everything's ok, it usually isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

I went into that link on the HL2 forums...It was stupid. Everyone was inventing random numbers of cd's that games come with. Some guy said Enter The Matrix came with 6 discs...It was 3...UT2004 supposedly came with six...it was 4...

Even if HL2 comes with 6 discs it wont take that long to install. I have a 1.5Ghz with practically everything standard and old and Doom3 installed in 15 minutes. Relax and enjoy the fact that Half Life wont be crap...

There was a info from VALVe that said there was 6. I couldn't find it however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I went into that link on the HL2 forums...It was stupid. Everyone was inventing random numbers of cd's that games come with. Some guy said Enter The Matrix came with 6 discs...It was 3...UT2004 supposedly came with six...it was 4...

Even if HL2 comes with 6 discs it wont take that long to install. I have a 1.5Ghz with practically everything standard and old and Doom3 installed in 15 minutes. Relax and enjoy the fact that Half Life wont be crap...
    ut2004 did come on 6 cds... where did you come up with 4? :D

the simple fact is, its always better to just slap in 1 disc and leave the game installing while you go make a cuppa. ut2004 was a joke, and is the last time i'll buy a cd version of a game when there's a dvd option available (play.com actually cocked up my order. i should've recieved the dvd version in the first place)

Advertisement