Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mobile Speed Camera, Watch out!

Options
  • 09-10-2004 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was just cyclling home aong the dodder last night and when I got as far as the lay-in opposite the big hill behind rathfarnham village, when i noticed an odd white ford transit HiCube. I passed by it but went back to sus it out cause it looked dodgy.
    I went to the front and I couldn't see thru to the back as there was a screen, but when i went to the back the window was all blocked out , except for a part which had a speed camera pointing out.
    I'm 99% sure it was a speed camera, It's a bit hard to describe so I drew ya's a picture (see attachement) so tell me if i was right thinkin it was a speed camera.
    Also it's reg was 03-d-91565, anyone know how I can check ownership?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Tis a Gatso Van, They are operated by the Gardai. The LED arrays are the Infrared flash I mentioned in a previous posting.

BTW there was a copper in the back looking at you through the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Redshift wrote:
    BTW there was a copper in the back looking at you through the camera.

****!! I knew I heard a radio on!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was reliably informed that they were unmanned.
    Maybe it was just 'usually unmanned'. Must find out more.

kbannon wrote:
    I was reliably informed that they were unmanned.
    Maybe it was just 'usually unmanned'. Must find out more.

Nope, they are manned by a Garda when in operation, of that I am absolutely sure.

fair enough!
    Cheers Redshift

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    fair enough!
    Cheers Redshift

Ok I'll tell you how I know all this info, The company I work for is the Irish service agent for Gatsometer, So I see these vans and the guys who operate them pretty often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

You're probably going to get a large amount of abuse after that admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Redshift wrote:
    Ok I'll tell you how I know all this info, The company I work for is the Irish service agent for Gatsometer, So I see these vans and the guys who operate them pretty often.

so you are BOUND to know it's limitations ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Prozium

egan007 wrote:
    so you are BOUND to know it's limitations ;):D

Oh do tell ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I hear that if you go over 125mph they can't detect you!

• Advertisement

That is incorrect but there is one way you can double check!
    However, IIRC if you are doing about 170 or higher you may not be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

spockety wrote:
    I hear that if you have an invisible car they can't detect you either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Theres one that hangs around in Rathcormac, Co. Cork now and again. Just past the 30 zone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

spockety wrote:

And if you travel under the speed limit they can't detect you either :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

One been hanging around in Dundalk since the start of August too..

And they are manned..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

AFAIK they have three such Transit vans - white, green and red. The white and green ones have been around the Dublin area. They are particularly fond of the naas road between the M50 and Newlands Cross (both directions 40 zone) and the section around Citywest/Rathcoole. They've also taken to hanging around the approach roads to the M50 junction at Dundrum.

You can usually tell their vans as they are parked in odd locations and each van has a reflective stripe accross the back (like a truck).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Seen the white one twice recently on the Lucan road outbound (Midweek 11am, Sunday midday) just parked up on the kerb where the sliproad from Liffey Valley joins the road (40 zone). First time I was in traffic probably doing over 40 but sure so was everyone else :). The second time was that weekend so I was looking out for it but I was the only car on the road. Despite even being aware of its likely presence, when I saw it and looked down I saw I was doing over 45mph. Very hard to do any slower on a three lane wide carriageway with a clear road ahead when you're busy scanning the side of the road for white vans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

jlang wrote:
    First time I was in traffic probably doing over 40 but sure so was everyone else :).

Doesn't mean you won't get done, the time I was done there before the era of points I was probably one of the slowest cars at the time and still got a ticket in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I think the red Gatso van may be a Renault Traffic. The white and green ones commonly seen in Dublin are definitely Ford Transits.

As already mentioned, a very common place to find a Gatso van is along the N4 Lucan road near Liffey Valley. I've also seen one further west on the N4 - on the single carriegway road between Kilcock and Enfield (50 mph zone)

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is also a Blue Transit Gatso van in Kilkenny, It travels down to waterford and surrounding counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Jip wrote:
    Doesn't mean you won't get done, the time I was done there before the era of points I was probably one of the slowest cars at the time and still got a ticket in the post.
    Didn't mean I wasn't taking it seriously - I'm just hoping I wasn't doing fast enough either time to warrant their attention. But I am in fingers crossed territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

BrianD3 wrote:
    As already mentioned, a very common place to find a Gatso van is along the N4 Lucan road near Liffey Valley. I've also seen one further west on the N4 - on the single carriegway road between Kilcock and Enfield (50 mph zone)

yeah i can secod that, i know i guy who drives daily from intel.

Advertisement