Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie help - wireless router

Options
  • 09-10-2004 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

I just got myself a broadband connection at hoem (thanks NTL!).
    The modem is in our living room, but we have three laptops in our apartment (with wireless cards).
    I was looking for some recommendations on what I should buy in order to be able to use the laptops with a wireless connection.
    I guess I would need a wireless router/ Access point. Could someone confirm this is all I need? I do not want one of the Laptops to act as an access point (if this is possible).
    Any recommendations on what I should buy?
    Sorry if these are stupid questions - this is totally new to me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

I got the D-Link 624+ up and running with the NTL 200 modem (1.5mb line).

Got the router connected directly up to it and i am sharing the connection through one wired and one wireless. A total newbie to wireless networking but got it up in less then 3 hours with encryption (WEB), firewall and MAC addressing

Got speed up to 137MB/min with "G" standard so i am pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

XT_Dweezil wrote:
    I got the D-Link 624+ up and running with the NTL 200 modem (1.5mb line).

Got the router connected directly up to it and i am sharing the connection through one wired and one wireless. A total newbie to wireless networking but got it up in less then 3 hours with encryption (WEB), firewall and MAC addressing

Got speed up to 137MB/min with "G" standard so i am pleased

Excellent - sounds good. Where did you get your Router, and how much did you pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

I got mine from www.overclockers.co.uk 90 Euro without shipment....

However at the moment i can not actually recommend it. It has constantly rebooted itself for the last 2 days. I will have a replacement from D-Link.

I would probably recommend the Linksys WRT54G instead

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

I got this Netgear mr814 wireless ap from ebay last week. Worked out about 50e incl delivery. Havent had any problem with it so far. Easy to setup. Equipped with the usual, wep, ssid broadcast, mac filtering...

Advertisement