Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Documentary on the Blueshirts on tonight at 9.35

• 11-01-2001 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

RTE1, if you're interested in seeing the party that became Fine Gael, Eoin Duffy's Blueshirts (the Irish fascist movement in the 1930's).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

Since i'm doin leaveing cert history i best have a gander

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

i love havin a go at fine gael as much as the next decent irish man ( wink.gif),but sadly the blueshirts weren't all that fascistic. Apart from that tool o'Duffy requesting to be address by fellow blueshirts by the mantra "Hogh O'Duffy"(as in heil hitler) and their endorsement and support of General Franco("a great catholic"), they were an odd bunch. They placed special importance on right to free speech(not very fascistic),they "ph33r3d the uber l33t Dev".
    its been a while since i read on this topic,and i didnt find it all that interesting so im sure ye will all be back later to rip me to shreds over this wink.gif

prop6.gif
    This is not a good day...to be a bad guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The blueshirts were a bit odd alright, although in fairness, I can see where they were coming from on Franco, he did a hell of a lot of good for Spain in the long run. Course, I can't get rid of the basic feeling that the Blueshirts merging into Fine Gael weakened the party a lot in the long run by association, letting those f*ckers in Fianna Fail keep a majority that was far too comfortable for a long number of years. Ahh well. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

i watched the programme kinda,just i remembered why i stopped reading about it,its not the most interesting thing about irish history. i dunno bout franco,im not too well versed on him yet wink.gif,but i know many irish men died fighting against his forces with the international brigade.
    lol,r u watching rte 1?? sex files of the nazis! hitler and his pecker etc...bizarre stuff. Is this what the blueshirts had in mind when seeking free speech?? tongue.gif /me thinks not.

prop6.gif
    This is not a good day...to be a bad guy.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Can we keep the political discussion to the Humanities board?

Draco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

nope - go moan somewhere else, u afraid you'll learn sommat biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

BTW - I was laughing when they are talking about hitler and his S&M thang!

Getting birds to kick him in the ballocks and whatnot, very odd given his 'other' persona smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

blueshirts....mneh....*** heads

Advertisement