Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And so it begins...

• 09-10-2004 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Having heard from the Ireland Offline Forum that my local exchange, Enfield, was now broadband enabled, I frequently checked the Eircon broadband website to see when it would oficially become available.

According to the website, it is now available, but, surprise, surpsise, when I enter my number, I am told it fails.

Eircon incompetence aside, what are the factors that could prevent me from getting broadband given the following:

• I frequently got 48k on dial-up, so it doesn't appear there is a splitter on the line
    • the house was built in 1996
    • the house is no more than 1km from the exchange
    Thanks,

TD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They probably haven't updated the line test database yet. Try again next month some time. Or ring them and ask them to test your line - but beware, they often take this as an invitation to sign you up for a year and send you out all their ****e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

In the same boat as yourself Tom, my exchange was recently upgraded and i'm less than a kilometre from the exchange but i still fail the online test. Its been more than a month since they upgraded it so unless they are EXTREMELY slow at updating the database, I dunno what i can do :mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

tom dunne wrote:
    Having heard from the Ireland Offline Forum that my local exchange, Enfield, was now broadband enabled, I frequently checked the Eircon broadband website to see when it would oficially become available.

According to the website, it is now available, but, surprise, surpsise, when I enter my number, I am told it fails.

Eircon incompetence aside, what are the factors that could prevent me from getting broadband given the following:

• I frequently got 48k on dial-up, so it doesn't appear there is a splitter on the line
    • the house was built in 1996
    • the house is no more than 1km from the exchange
    Thanks,

TD.

Even with getting 48K there could be a splitter on the line. Failing that the copper that they have put in may not be of a good enough quality to take a broadband signal.

Do you have anything else on the line, fax machine etc? When they run the test it will fail if you are using your line, so if you are getting a fax or making a phone call when the test is done it will be logged as a failed test. The test is rerun every 4-6 weeks, at which point you might pass the test..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Iago wrote:
    Do you have anything else on the line, fax machine etc? When they run the test it will fail if you are using your line, so if you are getting a fax or making a phone call when the test is done it will be logged as a failed test. The test is rerun every 4-6 weeks, at which point you might pass the test..
    When I say fail, I should point out that I am only looking at the website, not actually in contact with Eircom.

I'll give them a call later this week and see what the crack is, hopefully it is simply a matter of the website data not being updated.

Advertisement