Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i have the most useless chip ever?

Options
  • 09-10-2004 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

now either im missing something here or this chip will not overclock!

stock 2.4, i thought i should get..2.5 or so on air and at least 2.6/2.7+ on a good watercooling set up

well this piece of crap is not having any of it!

ive tried so many settings i couldnt even list them all, ive lowered the ht thingy to x3 , ive changed the fsb..or the htt now :confused: from 200 to about 240, ive lowered the multiplier down to about 8...ive tried keeping the ram at 200 so it doesnt overclock that and just uses dividers..nothing will work!!!!

the best ive had is 2587mhz, i cant get it anywhere near that with any other settings, i cant even get it past 2.5 with most settings, what am i doing wrong!, i seriously cant have the worse chip ever? surely this should overclock more than 200mhz!, i know my temp readings are too high anyway, they are a good - 10/20 degrees too high, the highest ive had it was 47 degrees so i dont think heats a prob!...when i had it at 2587 it wouldnt go past 36 :rolleyes:

also..ive had the Vcore up to 1.7 and the memory up to 2.85, nothing will work!!!

what the hell else can i try?, i even got bored and let core center overclock for me, it kept going up..got to about 2.7 and then just gave me a BSOD...which was nice as i couldnt even stop it so i wont try that again!

*sobs* what can i try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

are you talking about your a64 3400?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Well chips don't come with OCing guarantees so it's not as if you have to get a good OC out of a chip. My advice is to set everything at default settings again and then to find out the top clock of each individual component in your rig. The top speed your HT can reach the top speed your RAM can reach and then try to build on that to get a good CPU OC. So underclock everything except your HT and keep pushing it higher until it breaks. The same for the RAM. After that you can tell if it's your CPU holding you back or your MB or your RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Emm your chip runs at 2.2ghz on stock doesent it? So thats just shy of 400mhz. You have the clawhammer 1mb L2 cache yea? Generally people with the newcastle core get higher speeds but they have half the cache so it works out pretty even. You really have to take everything into account.........

Dont compare your results to a newcastle core, two different chips. The AMD64's dont tend to overclock that much more with extra cooling like say a prescott would, they run pretty cool as it is so generally heat isint much of an issue. Hoping for more than 200mhz over air results isint that realistic TBH. Id say your chip is about average, you dont see many AMD64's over the 2.6/2.7ghz mark, thats pretty much where the wall is from what ive seen.

[edit] You prob have the newcastle core, 2.4ghz 3400+ have been a little out of touch over the last while. You really should be hitting 2.6ghz or a little more, it is slightly dissapointing but what can you do overclocking is all about luck........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

yeh i have the newcastle..i should prob change my sig so people know , i expected at least 200mhz from watercooling :rolleyes:

ill have to try doing 1 at a time like you suggested...it seems odd i can only seem to get 225x11.5 to post past stock..nothing else wants to work..even lower :(

its a bit of a pain though..keep having to reset the cmos :mad:

i might try a new bios too ive heard some people are getting better results with the 1.5 betas...worth a shot i guess or ive just spent £200 on watercooling to not get any better performance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Water cooling or better will only help overclocks if heat is the issue. If you reach your max safe voltage before you reach your max safe temp then there is no need for better cooling. The likes of phase change really help because the sub zero temps help stability but water cooling really isn't much better than good air cooling.

Have you benched to see if you perform better with the overclock? I wouldn't bother overclocking at all if you have to use a ram divider tbh unless you were getting something more significant than 200-300mhz. Ram should always be 1:1 with the processor for optimal performance.

It seems 2.6-2.7 is pretty much the wall with these chips though.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i get 440mhz on my amd64, just luck of the draw i suppose. get a new chip :)

new chip - more money
    more money - i dont have :p

im screwed till christmas cant really buy anything for my pc till then, not like i "really" need anything anyway...ill try benching it at stock and then at the 2587mhz which i managed to get to post....it seems a lot of messing around compared to my good old xp..but im gonna work at it...tbh im not even having to up the voltage!...it can do 2587 at about 1.6...but it wont do ..2500 at 1.6 or crap like that...its very interesting this chip, as i dont have any decent temps to go by either ..its becoming quite a tedious game!...but ill work at it, id be thankful to hit the 2.6/2.7 wall! seems i wont even get 2.6 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

stop bein such a girl with the voltages :p (joke btw)

mine is at 1.75V (highest my mobo will go) 24/7 and its grand! might shorten the 15 year life of the chip to 10years but i dont intend to be using this chip anywhere past 3yrs!

lol, well the flashing red puts me off choosing them ;) , i think i can stick 1.85 in it :eek: or summat i know you shouldnt really go into the red on air cooling, waters a little better so i reckon i can go into that a bit then...if nothing happens at 1.75 ill just clock it back to the 2587 and put the vcore down...i dont want my chip to only last 10 years :o ...meh heh, nah im sitting tight till dual core cpus, then ill prob ditch the 754 anyway, so i dont care if i shorten it to..4 or 5 years..wont be my problem then :)

Advertisement