Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist cinema advertisement

• 10-10-2004 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I'm sure many of you know which racist advertisement I'm talking about. I'm talking about the advertisement featuring several Carribean individuals with their phones, boasting how they have a phonebook, hands-free, etc. The ad goes to great lengths to ridicule black people, portraying them as mentally-deficient, idiotic morons who only ever hang out at the local pub. They can't even talk English proper.

I feel embarrassed any time this ad is shown. What's next: minstrel shows advertising boot polish, or KKK members endorsing their favourite fire extinguishers? And they wonder why there's so much racism in this country.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I don't think its racist. The tagline for the ad is "If caribbeans took life as seriously as the rest of us...". Its only a bit of fun, and its a funny ad. I have seen it every week in the cinema for god knows how long, and it has never struck me as being racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

FamilyGuy wrote:
    Bob: Outrageous, How dare he say such blasphemy. I've got to do something.
    Man #1: Bob, there's nothing you can do.
    Bob: Well, I guess I'll just have to develop a sense of humor.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Some caribbean's probably do get a bit pissed with those ads, hav'nt seen the ad in question(Malibu?). Plenty said over here about the donkeys in eastenders ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What product is this ad for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm sure many of you know which racist advertisement I'm talking about. I'm talking about the advertisement featuring several Carribean individuals with their phones, boasting how they have a phonebook, hands-free, etc. The ad goes to great lengths to ridicule black people, portraying them as mentally-deficient, idiotic morons who only ever hang out at the local pub. They can't even talk English proper.

I feel embarrassed any time this ad is shown. What's next: minstrel shows advertising boot polish, or KKK members endorsing their favourite fire extinguishers? And they wonder why there's so much racism in this country.

Molehill = mountain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

MadsL wrote:
    What product is this ad for?
    Its a Malibu ad, in the same vein as the "Traffic Jam" one they had on the telly a few years back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

that ad cracks me up every time and no its not racist. maybe there's a bit of pulling the mickey but its in good taste, personally i'd love to get the mobile with the phonebook attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Sure isnt everyone racist, i dont think there is enough positive racisim in the world. Wouldnt it be better if we insulted the Carribbeans and the iranians insulted the Irish and the english were insulted by everyone. Wouldnt that be wonderful, finally there would be equality for all. just think of the hilarious possibilities. Entire countries, nations, religions and sexes united in a unifing pisstake of one another. Thats a future i could live in.

But the present oversensitive anti racism feelings displayed in our present culture is just as good. isnt it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Its a Malibu ad, in the same vein as the "Traffic Jam" one they had on the telly a few years back...

I hope you're not implying that adverts aren't original anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

They can't even talk English proper.

Obviously they are not alone lol! That sentence is great
    What's next: minstrel shows advertising boot polish,

There is a standard sized billboard on the 5th floor exit from Stephen's Green car park with a minstrel advertising tiles "I'd walk a million miles for some of your tiles" or something to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Hmmm...An anti-gravity penny is it?

The ad is poking fun at "western civilisation" (No, I'm not suggesting that Carribean folk are uncivilised) and how hung up we are on ridiculous sh1t like the latest features on our mobiles. The message is that Malibu is an easygoing drink that could only have been invented by easygoing people who know that most of those things are not worth worrying about.

And I think it's a very good ad, but then I'm clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I find it to be pretty offensive as well.

What if Guinness decided to advertise itself like that abroad? Portraying Irish people as backward morons. I know I wouldn't be too happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

What if Guinness decided to advertise itself like that abroad? Portraying Irish people as backward morons.

Why bother? Our j1 students already do a good enough job of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Molehill = mountain.

Agreed, its only abit of fun
    Its stupid saying this is racists just as it was stupid for Guinness to pull the advert with the lads having a pint on the Titanic as it was sinking (offend people relateed to the Titanic disaster..pffft)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

milltown wrote:
    And I think it's a very good ad, but then I'm clever.

LOL

Tomorrow morning when I'm stuck in traffic I'd rather be on a tropical beach with a glass in my hand. Not necessiarly that drink, but hey I rather not be in traffic..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

your like those people that write into rte radio 1 when someone accidentally curses on telly before 9 o clock.
    Christ man, the people that starred in the advert are carribbeans and they obviously didn't think it was too racist.
    It was only trying to illustrate the fact that we are just a stressed up stupid nation obsessed with features of our mobiles. Joke's on us, not them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

You have to be Irish and white. :eek: OH ye I said it!
    The ad goes to great lengths to ridicule black people

Would you still feel embarrsed when "black people" tell you its a laugh and a very good ad? You need some real problems in your life tbh.

funny man. The whole point of the ad is a reflection on the pointlessness of lot 'our' ways of life, and how ****ing stupid they can be.

Oh and R E L A X.

[edit] sorry never read all (read, none) of the replies [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I hate the way everything has to be so pc nowadays.
    No matter what you say it will offend somebody.
    Load of bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It's ironic that the same stereotypes the English used to have of the Irish (backward, laid-back, quaint) are now being attributed to people of the Carribean to sell products to the Irish.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that this ad is racist but it is very stupid and embarassing to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

Makaveli wrote:
    I hate the way everything has to be so pc nowadays.
    No matter what you say it will offend somebody.
    Load of bollocks.

I Think that sums it up perfectly. Life is tough enough as it is without people with too much time on their hands looking for anything that could be non PC.
    Get on with your life, and take it easy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Soon we'll be a nation of drones afraid to speak in case of offending someone.

Hey i know! Why dont you guys worry about something that actually matters? Like, oh I dunno, the fact that GW, the homicidal maniac, is likely to get re-electe. Probably be a good place to start.

Or if politics isnt your bag, then how about worrying about the thousands of people he's managed to kill since he took office? If your gona b!tch about something, how about making it something worth b!tching about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

WHAT IF they took life as seriously as us? The ad would be the result. So off the bat, the claim is that the ad is a leap of imagination. What if germany won WW2? Hmmm..., let me think, we might be speaking german, there's be less jews (probably) - oh wait I'm being racist against germans!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭ronano

Pigman II wrote:
    I hope you're not implying that adverts aren't original anymore?

man, i laughed for at least a minute, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

an advert that shows carribean's taking the piss out of western society? i'm appalled that they can do that. they are being racist against westerners and that can't be allowed. we must act by never drinking malibu ever again. actually i puked my ring up last time, but that was from drinking it neat out of the bottle when we ran out of mixers, so I don't mind giving it up so much. contact your TD's and MEP's immediately and get the campaign started. and cancel that holiday to barbados. can't go over there now with this between us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't think this is a racist ad at all, they're just taking the piss. I find it quite funny and an interesting alternative to the normal crap, annoying and un-funny ads.
    The PC attitude has gone way to far IMO. It seems you can't say something funny at all any more in case it offends someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

This kinda thing has happened before with a Guinness ad, the one with the volcano. Some Irish person complained about the ad saying it was offensive to volcano disaster survivors. I not saying your complaint is as crazy as that but thing is there has never been anything like that in Ireland so how could we say it was offensive. So my point is that if someone from the Caribbean said that ad was offensive ban the ad, but how do we know not being them whether it is racist or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Hope no one shows AO the Red Stripe beer ads then........more of the same, fella reading broad sheet paper, all the news is in Carribean style dialect.

May I ad "Easy noow"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

This must be a troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭begbie

I didn't find the ad the least bit racist. It was funny when i seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Were the guys in that add black?
    I didn't notice.

Advertisement