Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Boys and All Girls schools.

Options
  • 10-10-2004 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

i go to mixed school but i'd like to know whether any of you go to a same sex school cos id like to hear opinions on them. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I go to an all girls school.
    I think it's one of the stupidest ideas ever.
    The only argument against mixed sex schools I've heard is that "people get distracted from class" but I think that's an acceptable downside.
    A single sex school is not only such an ANTIQUATED idea, (come on people, it's the 21st century) but I think it's not helpful for... social purposes also. I mean, going to an all girls primary school and an all girls secondary school and having no brothers I would have had very little contact with guys. And I'm not talking about the whole "OMG GUYZZ BOYFRENDS OMGG!" thing but in actual social terms, how is someone who has had very little experience with interacting with them supposed to act? Alright I understand guys aren't completely different at all to girls, but if you've been separated so, it's bound to have some implications, right?

And also being the insocial hermit that I am, going to an all girls school means that the huge majority of my friends would be girls, and the only contact with guys I have would be in the small outside school activities that I do, which, plainly, is stupid.

And what's this crack about guys learning differently to girls? I don't think so...

I'm bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

2 of my friends go to mount sackville me thinks its called nd they have a load of boys as friends.
    But how come u decided 2 go to an all girls school?

Ah, well yeah I suppose typical people would have loads of friends and whatnot. Don't listen to my ramblings, they're highly subjective.

Nearly all the schools in my area are either all boys or all girls. The only one that is mixed and not a feepaying school is Newpark and my parents DID NOT want me going there. I'm not sure what the reasons are, but apparently my school is "better". :rolleyes:
    And I don't go to a feepaying school because I don't believe in paying exorbitant prices for what should be free. Although my school is a kip in certain departments and they don't have as many fancy interesting extracurricular type things, they provide the basic whatever so that's fine.

Have you ever heard of Wolstons? now for an all girls school...it is full of total SL*TS! seriously! its mad.

Hey I never said going to an all girl school would make you any less slutty. I think it might even make you more so, but I can't compare it to anything.
    I'd like to think most of the people in my class are fairly self respecting.. but some of them... ...

• Advertisement

plz dnt tell me u go 2 either of the schools ive mentioned cos well one of the mountsackville (if thats right) girls, she definitely gets enough guys. i met her boyfriend 2day he goes to some boys school or other in clondalkin or something god knows i didnt really understand him at all. he was rlly funny when i did understand him, he kinda had an obsession with how "posh" i am. pffft

Okay your spelling appears to be deteriorating...

No, I don't go to either of those schools.

my spelling, hmmm yeah i was thinking in text language because i just text someone.

Please don't, it pains me. I know it's tempting... but.. aggh, the difficulty of reading outweighs whatever pros there may be.

i suppose so, i don't usually type like that. do i? hmmm...

• Advertisement

Not too much, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i believe it is scientifically proven that girls and boys do learn differently,

however look at the institute of education in town, thats a mixed school where they do quite well, fair enough most of them work hard but still.

im in an all lads school myself, its allright but i can tell you i might be distracted if there was girls in my class, pros and cons to both sides of the argument im sure.

my schools a bit of laugh though but im sure it would be more enjoyable if it was mixed

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I went to an all girls school, hated every minute of it. The school was very traditional and seemed to want to push us into the traditional girly subjects (home ec, art, all that sort of thing). Being one who liked science, that didn't suit me at all! Also the uniforms were like something out of the 1950s and I hated having religion pushed in my face.
    I did my Leaving Cert there in 2002, and one of the happiest days of my life was leaving there after my last exam (as the only person in my year doing applied maths...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Please don't, it pains me. I know it's tempting... but.. aggh, the difficulty of reading outweighs whatever pros there may be.
    :D

That shall be all

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i went to a mixed school, i didnt really get that distracted..... oh a birdie....

/me chases bird

hahahah i chase birds a lot. why dip me i chocolate and throw me to the lesbians!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Never been to an all boys school and never will. They say that same sex schools do better in their exams,..... but there all fridgets anyway. (couldnt think of anything to say).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Never been to an all boys school and never will. They say that same sex schools do better in their exams

i dont doubt it, id like to be going to a mixed school to tell the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

i went to an all girls school for 2 years and i hated it, and that was in primary! i think mixed schools are way better. I mean what's the idea behind seperating boys and girls? Eventually they're going to have to deal with each other, why prolong the event? And that whole 'work better seperatly' thing is a bit hazy, seen as one year they're saying one thing, the next year another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭coconutmonkey

I've gone to a mixed primary and secondary, and im glad. After going to a mixed primary, the idea of a single sex school seemed crazy! And in primary we were all such good friends. It wasnt like we were just meetin each other the whole time, some of the best friends i had were boys, and i think thats better. Because if you grow up in a single sex enviorment, its likely that you'll learn that the opposite sex are just for relationships etc, and you wont think of them as friends as much.
    But hey, thats just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

i go to a mixed school if was just lads it would drive me insane , at least when there is a female presence some people calm down a little bit and gain some decorum *laughs and thinks of today*

went to an all boys primary it wasent to bad as the girls school was just the other side of the building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mellow yellow

Hey Fist Mixer person?
    Dont be bad mouthing Newpark, I go there and I love it (as much as you can love a school) Newpark has a bad reputation but I think its great. Whats so good about it is that different types of people attend and there seems to be a relaxed relationship between (most) teachers and students.
    Yes its true that some students abuse this relationship but this is what Newparlk teaches, you'r working for yourself and no one else. It's up to you to attain the grades you want.
    Oh and the whole mixed issue? I really think its so unatural to split the sexs when being educated. I think the argument "you'll get distarcted from you'r work" is a load of b****x. You're goimg to have to learn to work with the opposite sex some time, why not do it in teenage years? If your that sort of person that gets distaracted, it's not going to change, you'll find someone or something to get you distracted and it has nothing to do with being in the same classroom with the opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I go to an all girls school, I went because everyone else in my class ( well, the girls) were going to it. Yeah, I speak to ONE of them these days. Well, our local fellas school is a few hundred metres down the road, it could be worse, the other girls school is on the other side of the river, way across town...
    I can't wait for next year cos for Ty the Good Counsle and my school do 3 classes a week with each other in both schools...

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I go to an all girls school.
    It's a joke. I don't like it.
    It's very stuck in time and it's extremly bitchy. Between both teachers and students.
    We're very limited with subjet choices, it seems to be expected that everyone will do Home Ec. The idea of having a subject like Tech Graph in my school would be completly alian to be honest. The uniform is a joke also. We only got school pants last year, and we had to campagin for that. (Yes i know. Crap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭yourpetzombie

My primary school was all girls. Well, it was mixed up until second class and then the boys switch schools. But yeah, it was crap. So much bitching goes on, and we hadn't even hit puberty by then, so I can't imagine what it's be like in an all-girls secondary.

One of my teachers thinks all-girl/boy schools are ridiculous. Supposedly boys mature at a faster rate when they attend a mixed school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've always been in all girls schools because thats where i was sent but i dont think that not being allowed wear trousers even in snow is fair or hockey skirts for p.e.I got to St.Marys Killester .some girl dat were in mixed primarys are in my school but dont really notice after a while thats theres no fellas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

I went to a mixed primary school but I'm in an all-girls secondary school and I think it has its good and bad points!

Advertisement