Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

updating text in a different cell

Options
  • 10-10-2004 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    I have just figured the disjointed rollover technique using two ajoining cells on a table. I would like to add a third cell to the row and display descriptive text in a third cell on the row. The left cell has a table of multiple rows containing thumbnails (a thumbnail per cell), the centre is a singular cell containing a large image,the right hand cell is to contain the descriptive text pertaining to the large image.

On a Google search the only methods offered are to create the text as images and use the disjointed rollover technique.

Is this the only solution?

Tommy.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

can you use layers of somne sort (span or div tags) with their style="visibility:hidden"? when you move your mouse over the original text get it to call using JavaScript a function or whatever which will set the visibility to visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tommygib

Hi,
    Actually I would like the relevant text to appear when I move between thumbnails.

I don't know too much about javascript.

Thanks for the quick response.

Tommy.

what do you mean by 'move between thumbnails"? Do you mean that when you take your mouse off one thumbnail some text appears until you move your mouse onto the next one?
    Does the text stay visible indefinitley until you choose other text or another page?
    Are you looking for something like this (but with the text staying until instructed somehow to change)?

Hi,
    thanks for the example, it is exactly what I am looking for. How is this achieved?

Tommy.

div or span tags!
    Each link contains an onMouseOver and onMouseOut attribute. When I move my mouse over a link it changes the image from a balnk gif to whatever image is shown. It also turns the visibility style of the div layer to be visible.
    When I move my mouse off it restores the defaults.

My example was done quickly in Dreamweaver and thus the code is quite bloated. If you are doing it design a div layer for each block of text and include the attributes id="layer1" style="visibility:hidden" - for each of the layers replace layer1 with layer2, etc.
    In your JavaScript code that causes the rollover (onMouseOver), include the following:-
    layer1.style.visiblity = 'visible';
    and the JavaScript code for when you move the mouse off and hiding the text should resemble:-
    layer1.style.visiblity = 'hidden';

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Many thanks for the pointers. Worked a treat.

Thank you,
    Tommy.

Advertisement