Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I suck at English essays :'(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

As long as they don't act on those ideas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

lcs= lucan community school

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

whoa.. you ppl get essay exams?
    lol.. I've never done an essay in an exam before! (not even the summer tests)
    my teacher is pretty useless I suppose.. would grinds in English be a good idea?
    I wrote one essay bout FLOSS, 9pgs... and then when I read it, I realised that it was all crap!
    so I rewrote it, into 3pgs and wrote a story bout window$ fecking up on me, so I switch to linux and all is well... still, useless...
    was well structured though, but I doubt the teacher would have a clue what an operating system is :rolleyes:
    will get the results tomorrow or Friday :p
    I guess I D/F'd it... depending on whether she understood it or not

I'm getting the feeling you dislike windows...
    And.. it's odd you've never had an essay exam before. I mean, it is a large part of paper 1 in the JC, even if they don't concentrate on it as much as other stuff (eg novel and poetry and sheisse) you should still get some practice...

I'm getting the feeling you dislike windows...
    And.. it's odd you've never had an essay exam before. I mean, it is a large part of paper 1 in the JC, even if they don't concentrate on it as much as other stuff (eg novel and poetry and sheisse) you should still get some practice...
    yep, I hate winblowz...
    yea, I'll have to start practicing English essays..
    btw, when are the JC exams on and when do they end?
    according to the back of my school journal, they start on the 8th of June.. my birthdays the 14th :rolleyes:
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ouch. Gonna hafta celebrate a few days/weeks late amigo

:o feck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Rozabeez wrote:
    I rant alot. Im supposed to write a speech about something i'm "passionate about" methinks it'll have to be single parents and how they can bring kids up just as well as two parents.

The hell they can !!!......................

WHOA!
    got my essay back today, got an A!
    First A I ever got in an English essay...
    C, D+, D, D, F, A ... thats how my essay results have gone this year so far..
    A f00king A! I cant believe that... Teacher said that I took "an interesting approach to the title"... so thanks for all yer ideas ppl! :D

More proof as to how the internet solves EVERYTHING.

*dusts off hands, and keyboard*

Congratulations on the result.

• Advertisement

More proof as to how the internet solves EVERYTHING.
    *dusts off hands, and keyboard*
    Congratulations on the result.
    yup, thanks! and thanks everyone else...
    a friend asked me to type it up for him to read, so I'm attaching it here in text format (exported it in Kword, mightn't look great), for anyone whose interested :rolleyes:
    I think the teacher over-rated it, but what the hell

Congrats man, I'll read that tomorrow

****, I have to write an english essay for tuesday....hmm....Might do it in the fantasy world iI'm gonna do my novel in.....

Preprepared worlds/continuities(to be an RP geek, sigh)/characters are useful when it comes to random essay writing. Got me through my english test last week with 100%. W00t.

Raphael wrote:
    Congrats man, I'll read that tomorrow

****, I have to write an english essay for tuesday....hmm....Might do it in the fantasy world iI'm gonna do my novel in.....

wow...i have my own little fantasy world that i wrote a bit of an essay on and got lazy and didnt finish it. what's your world called?
    mine's gooberland

/me doesn't have a fantasy land...

Ooh, you're not in the club! *points and excludes*

It's not. I have 2 gods, a main city, and a small town though

i am the god in my world.

I contemplated divinity, but playing Black and White can really put you off the whole omnipotence dealy...
    Now, disciples are funner, because they have things to rebel against and to strive to achieve. Gods can just cheat rampantly.

I got another A for an essay I wrote on religion...
    http://www.themovievault.com/essay/non_believer.html
    I wrote about a person who doesn't believe in religion... The teacher read it out in class and I was embarassed as feck :o
    (I do believe in God, btw... I wrote that essay in the point of view of... somebody else)
    I think I'm pretty alright at writing factual sorta essays... Describing things and developing charachers etc... I suck at that sorta stuff.
    Anyhow, thats my second A ever and my second A in a row, in over 2 years :p
    wtf? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Congratulations on the other A. (See previous comment re internet solving all.)

Chuck Palahniuk (guy who wrote fight club) writes essays on the topic of writing, and he's got them on his site. I find them rather useful and interesting so, yes. Link, here. Those'd be summaries of the past essays and from there you can get to the current ones (which would be Distinction Essays.)

That guy owns...Fight Club is an excellent book

Also, those things are really damn short. Are all Junior cert essays that short?

This is my latest English h/w, got me an Excellent

*A few seconds later*

The hell? It won't upload Rtf's.....

*sighs, and converts to .txt*

JC essays are rather short, as far as I can tell. Difficult to translate between computer and A4/copy pages, but.. we had an essay writing test with 40 minutes to do so last week and most essays were a freakish 4 copy pages short or so...
    Well, whatever it is, 9 pages is allegedly "too long for exam purposes"... and that story didn't look long 'tall 'tall on the computer...
    And for some more shameless promotion, this one didn't appear to offend my teacher into calling it too long, so it must be around the length, so.

whoa... all those essays are unreal... They make mine look like dirt.
    the chuck palahniuk site is cool... thanks for that link PurpleFistMixer, some cool info on that site.
    that essay was class Raphael...
    I had to do an essay on beginning with "Finally the smoke cleared and I could see..." before too... I wrote about a UFO landing and got a C (which I was *really* happy with).
    I usually write bout 3-4 copy pages for my essays... I can hardly write any more.
    thanks for all the congratz + advice + links + etc ppl... I really appriciate it

edit: anyone want Gmail ? I got 3 more invites to waste

Dude, I have 6, there common as muck these days. And yet they're still being sold on ebay.....

lol,
    yea, that sucks... I wish I could just delete mine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I suck at English essays...The picture option is probably best. You can bull**** on about anything.

For example, the picture option for my JC was the camel in a taxi in NY. Someone in my year said it represented an Arab in NY and bull****ted on for pages about American-Arab relations. I think he got a B...

Funny, because it's a llama. Which is a south american animal.

But yeah, I'm keeping my hope on the picture. Although I'm fairly confident in my ability to twist everything to my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭coconutmonkey

Picture?? What picture?! I've never been told about any pictures in the exam! This is English, right? So do they just give you a random picture and you have to write about it?

Advertisement