Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time jobs while in college

Options
  • 10-10-2004 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people here have part time jobs (doing 12 or more hours per week)?
    I've been doing 12 hours per week but am now been told i have to do 18.
    I'm 1st science UCD and have about 22-24 hours/week , in other words i'mm in four days a week till 5, add tutorial work/study (soon!) on top of that and it's just not possible to do that many hours of work.

Anyone else have the same/similiar situation? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

22 hours lectures, and 6 to 8 hours practicals a week. Doing about 20 hours a week at the moment in work. Will probably be closer to 30 in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I work about 17 hours a week. Friday night, Saturday all day, Sunday pretty much all day. It's hard work trying to get all the work and study done. I came home from work about 3 hours ago and since then have done 2 hours of study... You've just got to fit it in when you can. I have about 15 hours a week in college, though if I make the switch to single honour maths physics I'll be down to 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Oh i forgot i've training 3 sometimes 4 times a week too.
    My parents pay for my monthly travel/books etc but I still need money like everyone else, quite an expensive country ya kno . :mad:

So now i'l have to look for a new job but it's hard to find employers who don't mind you only working 12 hours a week cus that really is the limit for me.

Lets not forget also that the university diary doesn't recommend having a job that requires 10 or more hours a week!!

Don't know how you lot do it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Last year I had a 40 hour college week and worked 24 hours a week. It's not something I'd really recommend though cos it just wrecks you. Maybe try to get a job in college (in one of the shops) - they tend to be a lot more understanding about people wanting less hours

;) Thanks i'll give it a try
    can anyone recommend some irish(obviously) search engines for part time jobs /

thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

I'm in 1st civil engineering and have about 40 hrs a week (9-5 mon-thurs and 9-3 on fri and i do a language which has me in till 8 on tuesday. I just started a job in a pub working as lounge staff. I have do a friday and saturday night shift (both 8 hrs) and my boss let me off work on Sun. He's a right prick and i do jobs that are not on my job description - like sweeping leaves on the street and lifting kegs down to the cellar. Also Im walking around the pub constantly. I really dont want to work on Sunday night as it would mean I would get home at 3am and i have to get up at 7am for college the next morning
    Most of the other workers are CHinese and they told me that they got threatened to be sacked when they told the boss that they didnt want to work on Sunday night.

I do my study during the week so its not too bad but I'd say I'll only work for 1st year.
    I will probably get a job handing out flyers on the weekend(2hrs) it pays 35 euro a week which is great as your doing little work. Fill out an application form on their website www.verve.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

tribulus wrote:
    ;) Thanks i'll give it a try
    can anyone recommend some irish(obviously) search engines for part time jobs /

thanks again

Try www.nixers.com
    Also there's a site called www.google.ie where you might find some more.

David19 wrote:
    Try www.nixers.com
    Also there's a site called www.google.ie where you might find some more.

lol fair enough I left myself open to that one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I'm currently in my 3rd year of College/Uni and have been working part time for almost as long. I work 28hours a week currently and am in college most days till 4 or 5pm.

Its very hard to do as when im not working im in college and visa versa but It has to be done if i want to pay my rent/buy nice things.

If your capable of doing it then do so, but if (like me) it effects your college work/attendance then maybe you should sonsider getting a new job or even not working all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Im in first year i have about 14 hours a week. I work 16 hours over the weekend and 4 hours during the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I used to work while going to college up to last year, then the pool I worked in closed for renovations.
    Now in this country I cant get a part-time job because I dont have the language, plus its illegal for students here to work more than 16 hours a week. But if I could find a job I wouldnt do more than 24 hours a week (preferably 16-20 ) .

on a positive and completly unrelated note, we've just had the first of the winter snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am doing a Masters but I also work full time...not to be recommended - thankfully I should be finished my Masters this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

During first, second and third years in college I worked (first in a shop, 16 hours at the weekend - horrible, then as a security guard, 24 hours at the weekend - brilliant!). Now i'm in 4th year of my degree and just don't have the time for work. The lack of disposable income really sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You could work.... you spend your weekends in Kilkenny anyway, get some skills :P

John

Advertisement