Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

SkyLynx wrote:
    Yeah i went home to a barrage of questions/****e about that vectors lecture....
    something that he was calling a coordinate a vector or something me lil bro recon'd?
    Yes! That was so damn confusing, here was me with my nice distinction between vectors and coordinates, then he comes along and messes that up. He was giving points like (B, 12) but calling them vectors. I guess they could be considered vectors from the origin, but still. He could have made it a bit more clear..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Pet wrote:
    I'll ask my physics lecturer (Eric Finch - he's very English but very cool) to see what he thinks.

Finchy's a legend! It's mad funny when he starts thinking/talking to himself in lectures "two elecTRONS, two elecTRONS, two elecTRONS, two ELECtrons.."
    I'd say his blood is 50% caffeine and he's never slept in his life.
    He's got that "right jolly old chap, what?" english accent but yeah he's a bang on fella, makes a real effort to remember your name too.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Finchy's a legend! It's mad funny when he starts thinking/talking to himself in lectures "two elecTRONS, two elecTRONS, two elecTRONS, two ELECtrons.."
    I'd say his blood is 50% caffeine and he's never slept in his life.
    He's got that "right jolly old chap, what?" english accent but yeah he's a bang on fella, makes a real effort to remember your name too.

Yeah, he does have that "ticking caffeine timebomb" air alright. He was talking about some card game called vash yesterday (my god he talks fast)..

He's my physics B lecturer though, so I dunno if I'll be with him much longer. Where are you at the moment? I'm free til 5pm.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Was in lectures, seminars n then registered up til now.. Goin for a spot of in the library then off to the boards meet.

Pet wrote:
    Yeah, he does have that "ticking caffeine timebomb" air alright. He was talking about some card game called vash yesterday (my god he talks fast)..

He's my physics B lecturer though, so I dunno if I'll be with him much longer. Where are you at the moment? I'm free til 5pm.. :rolleyes:

Just an addendum to that moan. My 5pm lecture was cancelled. So I wasted the past..day...arsing around campus filling time. Pox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

finch is deadly, he's in charge of 2nd physics so think ill be seeing quite a bit of him this year...
    Um yes, he spent an entire lecture yesterday talking about using vectors to describe colours..nobody could hear what he was saying. But hey, he'll probably be better than Claas, eh?
    let me know if he starts getting obsessed with coloured chalk again this yr, it was soo hilarious last yr!! uh i think claas would be better tbh, he is THAT bad...but i have to say his exam at the end of the yr was pretty alright so cant complain too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

He's a character alright. I had him in first year (long time ago) and he was demonstrating some wave behavior by blowing into an instrument, and then blowing harder to move up an octave. After two or three rises, he couldn't make a sound - he then uttered the line "It appEARS I can't get IT up". Suffice to say 150 engineers didn't hold back.

He does look a little like an East German assassin though - the leather golves and briefcase combo.

Speaking of which, my other physics lecturer looks exactly like Jack White (of the White Stripes). I meant to say it to him today...he's wearing a cast at the moment, kinda has an American accent?

What's the story with Timoney? He's kinda funny (unintentionally) but I can never understand what the hell he's on about (and neither can anyone else). He seems really scattered..he is nice though, very innocent or something, like an uncle. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Yeah I have Timoney too and I totally agree with that. He stalls so much, it makes things a little hard to follow. Still as pet says he does seem very nice.

Were you at the meetup yesterday? And which one were you (remember: me + names = disaster)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Nah I couldn't make it, I had to meet up with someone outside college. I'll probably be at the next one. Did many people turn up to the first two?

Well I missed the first, but there were about 7 or 8 of us at this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Timoney is a legend but he's a terrible lecturer. I did not get what he went on about for the entire time I had him.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

Timoney aint so bad. Yeah he does tend to talk to hinmself in lectures sometimes, but he puts all his notes up on the web for 1s3 and if you look at the past exam papers theyre all exactly the same, which is always a good thing for the end of year exams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

In my opinion, Timoney's big fault (althought it was very endearing) was he was just so absoluetly exact about everything.

I'd imagine if you asked him what colour the sky is, unlike most people who would say blue he would say:
    "well the sky, as perceived by human beings, ranges in colours from blah blah blah blah".

Also ask Timoney a "simple question" and be ready for a lot of pretend listening and nodding of your head in agreement. So maybe he had difficulty empathizing with freshmen or something.

Teachers can be divided into 2 sorts, those that are good at teaching a subject well to people who are crap at the subject and badly to those who are good or vice versa.

I think Timoney would be a good teacher if you were actually interested in the finer subtlies of maths. don't forget i agree entirely with an earlier poster that he is a legend and even more so with blanky because he put all his notes on the web and made his q's predictable which was cool.

So predictable I only did have the paper! I could do the binary stuff Samik did (Samik, now there was a dodgy lecturer) and the probability which was leaving cert but the rest was pure confusion with and without the notes. It wasn't just Timoney's fault that I didn't get it but he didn't help at all. Still, entertaining guy nonetheless.

"Well, actually, if you wanted to find out how much fig is in a fig roll you need to..."

Woohoo! All three of my maths lecturers are rubbish, all in different ways. :D

I'm just glad there are so many of us, because at least that way there will be people who will do worse than me. :D

"Well, actually, if you wanted to find out how much fig is in a fig roll you need to..."

Hahahahaha, I can totally imagine him saying that. :D

Another thing that happens to him, poor man, all his powerpoint presentations and such always get messed up and he has to resort to using the blackboard. :D

Other interesting topics in a similar vein include working out what the volume of a bead is after you've drilled through it, in case you wanted to know the volume of beads on a necklace. Rivetting stuff.

(I'm sure these have their uses but I really can't be bothered with it!)

Just to inform, I got me a locker only last friday...if you happen to get a hold of the superintendent in the arts block, he may still be giving out lockers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement