Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone else have a problem with Meteor??

• 10-10-2004 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Ok, I really need to get this off my chest...

I apologise about the moaning in advance! ;)

I switched to Meteor a couple of months ago and in the last few weeks I have had nothing but trouble from them! I've gotten dropped calls, message failures when I have had almost full bars on the phone, I have been receiving text messages up to a whole day late, I'm not able to make calls half the time, the 'Meteor' logo on my phone keeps blinking on and off and at least four times a day I get the message "Sim Card Registration Failure" on my screen. (I was using the Nokia 8210 and now am using the Nokia 6100, both phones are supported by Meteor)

Recently, you might have noticed that they have started an advertising campaign saying that they now have the whole of Ireland covered!

Obviously, this cannot be true..

Does anyone else have the same problem or does Meteor just have it in for me?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

oh they have it covered....just not properly.

Best thing to do when meteor annoys you is to call 1905 (if your signal isnt working you can use your home-phone) and talk to someone from services they sort you out pretty fast but be warned, while you're waiting they play terrible music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Oh, u mean calls never lasting more than 6 minutes, signal going up & down, certain parts of your house are total signalless, but other parts get high signal? Yeh, I get that too :(

When all else fails I sit on my wall with my left foot propped up on the front left wheel of my car and I have a fine signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I had "issues" with them, so i switched back to o2, do it as soon as you can, meteor's cheapness isnt worth their incompetent network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

That's basically what you have to put up with for their prices! I think it does depend a bit on ur phone tho, I've had quite a few on metoer and sum seemed to work better than others! Not v helpful but I spose it is worth it if u txt a lot to other metoer customers! I left them a while ago but only cause I wanted new number and phone I was getting was locked to another network... I'm spending fortune on credit now but better service. Depends which is more important to you

Strangely on Firday night all the meteor people I know had no signal all night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

hmm, i was considering changing to them, now i'm definatly not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Rozabeez wrote:

Ditto!

Only reason i have a Meteor phone is the cheap international texts...15cents versus 25c from the other two. Saves me a fortune as i have a girlie in Liverpool....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Yeah, last friday the network was completely down in Meath, all the phones were giving a "choose network" message. They are fairly intermittent with GPRS signal too...I can only get it in the upstairs bathroom for some reason...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Rozabeez wrote:
    Same with 5 of my friends. We were walking around Lucan and none of them got any signal. Makes you glad you stuck with Vodafone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I was thinking of swithing to Metor but since everyone here is saying its crap i think i will stick with Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They have 100% coverage, except for when it doesn't work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

If you rarely use a mobile (like me) the cheapness is worth it!

Only got my first mobile (as a present!) this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Little Goose

So, did anyone ever get that "Sim Card Registration Failure" message? - Plus my whole call history was wiped out for no apparent reason this morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

I have a problem with O2 it's crap lately.

I'm sure its not as bad as Meteor, I've heard great reports about O2 recently.. might switch to them actually..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I've been with meteor since just after they started up. Its the smallest of the 3 networks and their service has changed quite considerably.
    I suffered from that No signal problem alright on friday, but i wasn't really worried. I otherwise have no complaints about them. Always have been good to me and the free credit i get at the end of every month really makes it worth while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I have a similar problem Goose. fcukin' head wrecking it is.

Where I live near Tyrrellspass, front of my house is a blackspot, with the back getting best reception - its a distance of approx 50 feet!

I have a Samsung phone (X450), and while its not supported by any of the operators here, it works fine on Meteor away from the house! Sometimes, I have 3 to 5 faded reception bars, and it says Limited Service... then it goes down to 1 or none, and says Meteor on the phone. AND its only out here where I have this problem, but by fcuk is it annoying.

ALSO, did anyone notice that if you are on the Anytime option, that it takes longer to get through your voicemails, AND that you get more of them (from missed calls)? Probably because I pay for the voicemail option on Anytime. If I call my voicemail from a landline, it goes through the process quicker too.

Its a good offer I got (from Pigsback dot com), but its seeming more and more likely that Meteor is rapidly going down the toilet. I am up for the Underdog in any situation, but not when I am promised something, and it fails to deliver everytime (re: the coverage and service).

I switched from Vodafone because those fcukers were prickin' me around big time over the Talk and Text Plus option phone bills, so I told them to screw it and I switched to Meteor.

I really really hate it when something is advertised to do something, and we are all just conned.

Screw them all....

:mad:

Seanie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Funny my reception is best in my upstairs bathroom and rest of the house is a joke for calls.... but its ONLY my house.

Not all there fault though cos there is this 1 tall and slim tree that blocks not only Meteor but also Irish Broadband cos they came out and said it would be ok at the time (summer i.e. no leaves on tree) but winter would end my BB reception.
    Come to think of it the meteor reception is better in the summer. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cos they came out and said it would be ok at the time (summer i.e. no leaves on tree) but winter would end my BB reception.
    Come to think of it the meteor reception is better in the summer. :rolleyes:

I think you mean the other way around! Winter is better cuz of the lack of leaves in the tree does not block a signal!

:D

Seanie.

By the way folks, I apologise for my language back there, I just get so fuming mad about these sort of things!

Sorry!

:o

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I have no problems with meteor I have to say, I get good coverage everywhere I go, from Limerick to Dublin, and everywhere in between. With my gf on meteor the saving is well worth it for me, 9c a min to 085 and free texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Meteor give me 6 euro credit at the end of every month cause I top up and I've been with em for a few years, now thats rewarding loyalty :) And to be honest, their coverage has improved substantially over the years - O2 tend to have the same blackspots Meteor experiences, in my er, experience.

Lamps

lampsie wrote:
    Meteor give me 6 euro credit at the end of every month cause I top up and I've been with em for a few years, now thats rewarding loyalty :) And to be honest, their coverage has improved substantially over the years - O2 tend to have the same blackspots Meteor experiences, in my er, experience.

Lamps

Yeah that's another good thing alright....i get €12 extra a month :D

To be honest i have 2 phones: one vodafone and one meteor. I use the vodafone one for all my usual stuff and the meteor one as a back up and also just to communicate by text with my girlfriend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I know lots of people have had problems with meteor but I'm not one for some reason. I am yet to drop a call, although occassionally I have recieved a late text, but I was with 02 for years and have just as much if not more trouble. The major problem I am having since all my friends changed over (with some gentle persuasion form me) is trying to send as much free txts as possible. It's tough to do.

I also got coverage in Paris at the weekend (wierd? No?) and at home the far side of newry (which neither vodafone or o2 cover).

Gotta love the theme song by the way, 2 of my friends bought new sagem meteor phones a couple of weeks ago and the stupid theme song plays everytime your turn the damn things on or off. Its annoying enough on the tv but when you hear it at 6 in the mornig when you room mate is getting up and your looking forward to another 2 hours in bed it's enough to make you consider going "postal" on them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

...I get the message "Sim Card Registration Failure" on my screen. (I was using the Nokia 8210 and now am using the Nokia 6100, both phones are supported by Meteor)...

where did u get the phone? if a phone is reported lost or stolen the Networks block the IMEI so when you turn it on u get that because the sim is unable to register with the network. Only Meteor do the Sim Registration failed message. 02 just dont give any coverage, whereas Vodafone let you connect to the network and give signal but block calls and txts from getting to the phone.

I'd ask whoever gave u the phone where they got it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wee_lady

i switched to meteor last thursday and thought it was great that day! able to send my free texts to the bf and 9c to every1 else are nice. on friday tho, i was texting and it wouldnt send some of the messages then finally did but said they weren't delivered but the person said they actually got them twice. also got a text message sent to me at about 8 o clock and didnt get it till 12. also no1 can seem to ring me at the min, they get told the network is busy, but iv just been told i have to ring up to get that sorted? wasn't too impressed over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

RuggieBear wrote:
    Ditto!

Only reason i have a Meteor phone is the cheap international texts...15cents versus 25c from the other two. Saves me a fortune as i have a girlie in Liverpool....

02 have cheap texts as well to uk (12cent).. i have a boyie near liverpool. Only thing with 02 is its 95c per min to ring. But u could use ur meteor to ring and o2 to text
    Anyway thinking of getting a meteor sim so i have cheap texts to 085 people i always text and keep my 02 for when meteor pisses me off. YAAAY

• Advertisement

02 have cheap texts as well to uk (12cent)..

Really? Is this newish (last year or so)?

The_B_Man wrote:
    where did u get the phone? if a phone is reported lost or stolen the Networks block the IMEI so when you turn it on u get that because the sim is unable to register with the network.

I bought the phone brand new from Carphone Warehouse! I got the receipt to prove it an' all! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

100 % coverage 10% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I changed to Meteor and I've had absolutely no problems. Mind you been on for less than a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Same with 5 of my friends. We were walking around Lucan and none of them got any signal. Makes you glad you stuck with Vodafone :D

Ye I had the same problem, but I have NEVER , EVER regretted changing from vodafone, they sucked, big time!

I spend €20 every month and a half maybe every 2. Not much, for practically unlimited communication (through txts anyway, and then the 20euro serves as a buffer for txting V-fone or ringing)

I rarly have a problem, occasionally yes, but that would be once every 6 months maybe.

Im not sure about down in the country tho, im pretty sure it still sucks quite a bit in the real country regions anyway.

One thing is for sure, I will never go back to Vodafone

Advertisement