Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As Regards Training

• 10-10-2004 8:52pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm a scout leader, and I recently went on a weekend with a group of kids, and one of the activites was Archery, nothing major, they were just given time to take some shots, given basic tips by one of the workers at the adventure centre, and we made sure they were'nt loading arrows while pointing at people, or running to collect the arrows while other people were still firing etc.

Anyway, I was talking to one of the other leaders, and we both agreed that if the price was reasonable enough, getting some archery equip. would be good for the group, just giving them a different activity etc.

Now, obviously they'd only be using them under adult supervision, and we'd be making sure they wernt doing anything stupid, also they'd only really be using them for fun (rather than to become experts) at first....

my question is do you need to have a fully trained person there to do archery? I mean, would one of the leaders need to be fully trained for the kids to play, or would we only need full training if we wanted them to be getting proper professional training? Bear in mind that safety would be our top priority no matter what.
    If so, what course would you need to do, and where? is there some kind of cert you need to get?

thanks,
    flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

it depends, you don't need someone offically trained (although it helps), but you do need someone who knows, understands what they are doing and who can repair the equipment. A basic setup, 4/5 bows, target, arrows and the other bits and pieces, your looking at ~600euro. Thats only a rough guess though.

If the only experience ye have is shooting for a few days at a camp then i suggest ye do a course first. The obvious safety things are easy, but there are issues with technique and equipment that ye need to know so someone doesn't get hurt.

I don't have details of courses and such but i'm sure someone else on the board will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭trig

Eh, such courses tend to be few and far between. I'd recommend either going to the IAAA website or emailing them if it weren't for the fact that the website is down and they never answer their emails anyway! As organisational efficiency goes, its not even on a par with the FAI and I'm sure Roy Keane will tell you how well organised they are.

My advice: find you're local club, see if they'll do a course for you or some of you're leaders and discuss options with them. Maybe they'll have some old butts etc that they can sell to you cheaply too.

My brother is a scout leader and has been asking me the same thing so we're organising to go down for a night and see how the kids get on with the archery. Might be another possibility as setting up costs are pretty high, especially if you're buying something like a ballistic net.

Advertisement