Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking IMEI number

Options
  • 10-10-2004 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

A little scumbag stole my digital camera and my T610 from my bag in a hotel on Saturday night, i've blocked the SIM card and the phone itself, but surely there are ways around blocking the IMEI? Can anyone get the my phone working now? I hope not :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

There are ways to get around this.. but more than likely the person who stole your phone would not have the knowlege or brain capacity to work out how to do this.

The IMEI number can be reprogrammed to a different one. However this is illegal and it carries a 5 year prison sentence and/or a hefty fine if convicted of it.

IMEI numbers must meet a certain checksum, you couldn't just put any number in. If the person had enough knowledge they could get the phone working, but I have no idea how it would be in your case.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I know someone who unblocks IMEI numbers, I dind't know it carried such a sentence,
    What is the suitation of someone using a phone that has a changed IMEI number an is unaware of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have heard that blocking the IMEI number here will not block it on foriegn networks eg UK networks. Stolen phones could be blocked here but be sent abroad where the block would be useless. The Blocking of IMEI's should be at least EU wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

Yeah, IMEI blocked phones will still work in foreigh countries, its big business in places like India etc if the are sent back as mobiles costs a bomb there. I'm not sure if its in yet but if blocked in ireland it's meant to be blocked with vodafone and 02 europewide,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

samo wrote:
    Yeah, IMEI blocked phones will still work in foreigh countries, its big business in places like India etc if the are sent back as mobiles costs a bomb there. I'm not sure if its in yet but if blocked in ireland it's meant to be blocked with vodafone and 02 europewide,
    Nope only on Irish networks:( Wastold this by Vodafone when my phone was stolen in the UK. Had to Ring Vodafone UK to get a UK block put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bond-007 wrote:
    I have heard that blocking the IMEI number here will not block it on foriegn networks eg UK networks. Stolen phones could be blocked here but be sent abroad where the block would be useless. The Blocking of IMEI's should be at least EU wide.

The way things are going, it probably wont be too long before we start to here about Ireland's and the UK banned lists being integrated.

Seemingly it is far simpler to reprogram the IMEI of old handsets and bordering on impossible to get 100% service with newer model phones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The equipment register is an optional part of the GSM standard so mobile phone companys have never been been the best for blocking or sharing the blocked list. Also, as mentioned above the IMEI number can be changed so there is only so much blocking helps.

That said make sure you block it so as to increase the hassle associated with disposing of stolen phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Bond-007 wrote:

When the GSM system was first being developed, an international database of IMEI numbers was put in place. This database is (as far as I know) still in existence but largely ignored as its too much hassle to use for the networks.

The location of this worldwide database? Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

The GSMA (yup in Blackrock) controls the global blacklist database and in theory IMEI registers are supposed to update / be updated by this central database.

Slowly but surely countries are putting legislation in place requiring mobile networks to install the black/white/gray list capability and to connect to the GSMA. I believe most EU countries have this legislation or are in the process of enacting / enforcing it due to the huge surge in mobile related crime (petty theft or otherwise - fupping scum)

• Advertisement
Advertisement