Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cottage extension advice

Options
  • 10-10-2004 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

Recently bought a single storey cottage in Dublin 10 - your typical double-fronted, red brick terraced affair (approx 370 sq ft)

As there is no room at the back to extend I was hoping to extend UP. ( aswell as knocking a wall or two on existing ground level making it more open plan)

This would involve raising the pitch of the roof at the front and putting a flat roof from the apex to the rear.
    Others on the road have done the same so I'm hoping planning permission should be easy to acquire.
    Any advice for a job of this nature would be greatly appreciated.
    e.g timber frame V metal,staircase designs, legal stuff etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Talk to your new neighbours. If it's been done before it should be ok.

Ask which engineer/architect they used.

I'd go for an engineer to do up plans if you know what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are the "only" single storey in a terrace, then there shouldn't be a problem with PP. You will need PP.

Dormer is generally more acceptable than veluxes / semi-flat room at the front. Keep the finish materials (slate / brick / plaster / paint) as close to the original (not current) as possible and go for timber sliding sash windows.

Try to have the half landing of the stairs start at the eaves (like example B, not A), so you can get better use of the full height ceiling upstairs.

If cost sensative, concentrate on structure and space first - you can always make it look "nice" later on.

Insulate as much as possible. It's likely the external walls and floor have no insulatation.

Check as to whether you actually have foundations.

Are are allowed build on party walls and both you are your neighbours are entitled top support from one another (this come into being where support has been present for 20 years).

Timber and / or steel frame are likely to be lighter to construct, but it being a renovation project, may be prohibitive technically / cost wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ooops

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

All sounds like good advice form Victor, but I would def make the foundations my number one checker, you might even need a test pit or two, looks like you require a civil eng, and an architect cos site visits are necessary I'm sure some of the guys here would knock up Mec and Elec suggestions for you on cad once your architect has the CAD plans done, greta advice on picking the same guys who did the other houses, you could save money if the architects have created very similar drawings before

Advertisement