Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N11 Petrol Prices

Options
  • 10-10-2004 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Petrol prices on the N11 have been stuck on 99.9c for the past few months. If one was a regular commuter on this route one would think that this is the price accross Dublin. A quick trip out the Malahide road will see prices dropping down to 94.9c sometimes lower.

Is there some sort of collussion between the various stations on the Stillorgan Rd??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think the phrase you are looking for is "Cosy Cartel"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you turn right off the N11 at Cornelscourt on to Clonkeen Road there's a Texaco about 100 yards down the road selling at 95.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

It's been 92.9 on in the Tesco petrol station on the Malahide road for the last couple of months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

94.5 in Waterford for the last few weeks.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Bond-007 wrote:
    I think the phrase you are looking for is "Cosy Cartel"

So if you go to Midleton where they are all charging 92.9 (!!) is it a cartel or is it market forces which say that charging more than your neighbour is close to commercial suicide ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Petrol is generally cheaper near Cork because there is a refinery there. Generally it rises in price as you go north but there are local cartels like the one BrianD described

M

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Muck wrote:
    Petrol is generally cheaper near Cork because there is a refinery there. Generally it rises in price as you go north but there are local cartels like the one BrianD described

M

I have to disagree with you here based on nothing more than my hearsay, experience and general morning cantankerousness :-)

When I started driving a few years ago petrol in Mallow used be cheaper than petrol in Cork. Then the Mallow boys upped their prices and are now amongst the dearest on the Cork - Limerick route. For a long time the Shell in the Marina was cheap then it wasn't. For around a year I used get my petrol at the Statoil in the Fairgreen in Limerick (whenever I was up from CorK) - it was the cheapest around.

So really distance from the refinery isn't everything - anyways doesn't Whitegate only provide a proportion of our fuel ?

Edit - it provides 40%
    http://www.hydrocarbons-technology.com/projects/whitegate/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

have a look at www.irishfuelprices.com
    dunno how up to date it is at the moment, but the more people using it can only help

Advertisement