Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatal Frame - Scariest game ever?

Options
  • 11-10-2004 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Been playing Fatal Frame on the Xbox, alone, in a dark room and dear jeebus its the scariest thing ever to appear on my TV screen.

It gets the balance of shock and atmosphere perfectly with both graphics and sound (I also have surround hooked up so the ghost whispering is REALLY unnerving).

Having played most of the Resident Evils, Silent Hill 1&2 and SS2 (can you tell I like the scary games?) I have to say FF is the only one that actually scared me in any way, with the exception, maybe of the original RE, mainly due to its originality at the time.

Is FF2 a better game? I heard that its even scarier and more difficult to boot.
    I've also heard FF2 on the Xbox is going to have an enhanced feature allowing the game to be played in first person perspective which limits the field of vision and makes the game much spookier.

Can't wait!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Ive been debating whether to buy Project zero 2 myself.
    Project zero was an absolute classic, and probably was the scariest game ive ever played, some truly terrifying moments, like finding the tapes people left behind, and the ghost were just unbelievable.
    Id have to say, in my list of scary games its near the top. Scariest games ive played (in no particular order)

Doom 3
    Silent hill 1 + 2
    Project zero
    RE:make (more jumpy type scares than actual disturbing scary a la project zero)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Doom 3 is scary for about 40 minutes...then you realise they are doing the same thing over...and over...and over. Silent Hill games are scariest in my opinion ! Never played Fatal Frame though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I found The Suffering to be quite jumpy. Some ****ed up bad guys..very dark and eerie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yes, Fatal Frame / Project Zero really is scarier than anything else out there.

I think alot of it has to do with the fact that you are so vulnerable, as you only have a camera for protection. And all those ghosts just appearing for a split second in the corner of the screen... it's all very well done.

I did find that it got very difficult at one point though.

I have the Crimson Butterfly, it's just as good... and you have more freedom to wander around as there is an entire village to explore. But I got to a bit that required me to solve a sliding block puzzle and I just haven't played it since... my brain doesn't like sliding block puzzles....

I thought Clocktower 3 was quite scary as well... again.. you are very vulnerable and have no weapons. Your only hope when you are attacked is to run away and find a hiding place. And when you are in a hiding place it switches to a first person view so you can see out at the person trying to get you as they stalk around the room and eventually (and hopefully) give up and leave to search elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

I found the Silent Hill series to be way more unnerving than the two Project Zero games. Sound is a much bigger factor in SH and contributes a lot to the atmosphere. also, Project Zero voice acting - hmm....the less said the better. The enemies in Silent Hill are also a lot more striking IMO, especially those lanky mofos from the hospital in SH4. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not having an XBox I am unable to compare but good old Clive Barkers Undying was the scariest I've played I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

musician wrote:
    Not having an XBox

Project Zero 1 and 2 are on Ps2 also.

Actually now that I think about it, one game that really scared the sh*t out of me at times was 'Fade to Black'...great game.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Undying was pretty unnerving alright. System Shock 2 was pretty scary and as for the Thief games, well, the Cradle level in Thief 3 has to be experienced to be believed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Project Zero 1 and 2 are on Ps2 also.

Actually now that I think about it, one game that really scared the sh*t out of me at times was 'Fade to Black'...great game.

Well ok I should have said not having a console. Ugh the thought of having a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

Alien vs Preditor done it for me, something about walking around dark corridors and aliens jumping down your troath disturbs me.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Good lord - Spoonman! I haven't seen you since DF last beat the hell out of Dzr in QII many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sam_hain

Have to say that the Silent Hill games are still the only ones that have ever effected me in a way. Well the first one anyways. As for scary games, Dark Fall on the PC is pretty danm scary. Especially when u listen to the tapes left behind. In the dark. In an empty house. Where you then have to walk around to get to bed. ;) Btw I think that the game is only as scary as you make your surroundings. I play Silent Hill during the day and its not as good as playing it at 2 in the morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I've never encountered anything scarier than the Aliens mod for Doom 2.

Man that scared the pants off my young self.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

aliens v's predator was the one that really did me. the sequels just weren't scary for some reason, but the 1st one was a monster! captured the movies perfectly.

having that noise of the movement sensor thing in the background really made you feel like hicks or whoever from the aliens movie. the anticipation almost killed you before they ever got there!

and yeah, doom 3 was complete shite. i went out and bought it expecting great things even though there were mixed reviews, but after playing it for 2 or 3 hours i decided that aside from the improved graphics it was definately a step down from its siblings.

it's been sitting in it's box ever since. it's still on my system on the off chance i decide to give it another go, but tbh all my hopes are resting on HL2 now, and since i just watched all the movies i think it's going to be a safe bet. i think i might explode in antisipation waiting for it. damn those hackers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Eternal darkness on gamecube.....unnerved me a few times! :eek:

Advertisement