Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sat choice

• 11-10-2004 2:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi guys
    can you save me some time please ??
    NOT including astra1, astra2, hotbird, eorusat, i.e. those sats between 13 and 28 E of S., What other Interesting sats available from Dublin. By interesting I mean loads of channels, pref some in english.
    BTW At what level does this searching become an addiction ?
    t

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

www.lyngsat.com

5*East - Sirius 2,3 : Interesting channels on this one hard to pick up without a supersized lid...

1*W - Thor : Some interesting Scandinavian channels.

30*W - Hispasat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Hi,
    Is Thor easy or difficult to pick up. I have the small lidl sat dish but thor is not pre-programmed. I have no probs with sirius, hotbird, astra etc.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thor is a little difficult - but do-able. You just need to tweak the dish till its dead on.
    Signal tends to drop late at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Eurorunner wrote:
    Thor is a little difficult - but do-able. You just need to tweak the dish till its dead on.
    Signal tends to drop late at night.

But how would know you are linrd up on Thor if its not in database ??
    t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

If you don't have a signal meter, and the satellite isn't preprogrammed into the receiver, then you will have to program a new satellite into the receiver and input the transponder details (one or two would be sufficient initially for location purposes) for that satellite from here:
    http://www.satcodx9.com/3592/uke/

That being said, it would be much easier to find Intelsat 10-02 (1W) than Thor (0.8W) because the signal footprint over Ireland is much stronger for 10-02.
    http://www.satcodx9.com/3590/uke/ (disregard the freqs below 10.987GHz)

As 1W and 0.8W are so close, they will appear as the one satellite (co-located) to your dish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Nice one, i'll have a look for Intelsat 10-02 (1W). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Look at 43west, 22west, 16east, 7east, 5west and 8 west. You will be limited somewhat by your dish size for 22west and 43west. Some interesting feeds available on these satellites. From footie to US tv shows and news feeds.

Great amount of useful info ,guys.
    this is only a quick look in to keep myself up to date...at present I have zero free time...too much on....BUT when i get time to experiment....major fun times ahead he he

"
    As 1W and 0.8W are so close, they will appear as the one satellite (co-located) to your dish."

That would explain why i get 4 sats with 3 lnbs, mentioned in original post ??

Do you guys want to ammend your posts re receivable sats if you take into account I only have a Lidi 80cm dish
    Huge amount of thanks and regards
    t
    ps If I appear rude or curt...apologies offered
    t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

tapest wrote:
    "
    As 1W and 0.8W are so close, they will appear as the one satellite (co-located) to your dish."

That would explain why i get 4 sats with 3 lnbs, mentioned in original post ??
    t

No it wouldn't.

Say the beamwidth for an 80cm dish would typically be a degree or so, meaning the dish wouldn't be able to resolve between 2 satellites spaced at less than 1 degree apart. However, all the sats you mentioned were more than 3 degrees apart.

Moreover, unless you happen to have a black hole in your backyard whose gravitational pull is curving the electromagnetic radiation from Asiasat, it is impossible to receive that satellite in Ireland.

Zaphod wrote:
    No it wouldn't.

Say the beamwidth for an 80cm dish would typically be a degree or so, meaning the dish wouldn't be able to resolve between 2 satellites spaced at less than 1 degree apart. However, all the sats you mentioned were more than 3 degrees apart.

Moreover, unless you happen to have a black hole in your backyard whose gravitational pull is curving the electromagnetic radiation from Asiasat, it is impossible to receive that satellite in Ireland.

Just having a re-read of posts. trying to get my old head around all this new stuff. A little at a time, spoonfeeding , lol .
    4 sats with 3 lnbs...Confirm the following possible please. . (1) Hotbird, (2) Astra 1, and (3) Astra 2 (28.2) and Eurobird (28.5) together

Also and forgive me for asking for repeat. What other useful sats from Dublin with 80 cm dish.? I'm lost trying to follow Lyngsat...Not usually so dumb...I'm putting it down to a combination of "new technology requires new way of thinking + old head means that hardware (old brain) works perfectly well, but requires software update

regards
    t
    ps tnx for patience
    t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I have Hotbird@13e and Astra1@19e on 80cm dish with 2 LNBs.

Tony might show up and tell you what more is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Pal wrote:
    I have Hotbird@13e and Astra1@19e on 80cm dish with 2 LNBs.

Tony might show up and tell you what more is possible.

AFAIK Astra 2 and Eurobird is much of a muchness so there is your 1 lnb two satellites thing.

What do think of the Triax mod?? Do a search for Triax 20 degree Multi LNB kit and you can read more about, I think triax dishes are great I have 3 of them!!! :D:D:D

greenman wrote:
    AFAIK Astra 2 and Eurobird is much of a muchness so there is your 1 lnb two satellites thing.

What do think of the Triax mod?? Do a search for Triax 20 degree Multi LNB kit and you can read more about, I think triax dishes are great I have 3 of them!!! :D:D:D

Now Now Greenman.....Just to make you really go green....saw a link this am on this forum for a reflector dish with.....wait for it....about 15 lnbs....everything from 40w to 13 e......
    now that.s impressive.....what kind of disequip switch for that lot ???
    have a look
    t

Advertisement