Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Superman' dies

• 11-10-2004 7:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

Looking at the news there and it seems that Christopher Reeve has died today at the age of 52. Of course he was best known for his role as Superman but he did quite a lot of other roles, including a cameo in Smallville quite recently.

R.I.P.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Christopher Reeve R.I.P

you were the reason i broke 3 rib's when i was 4, but i forgive you.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

How sad. A truely nice man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Very very sad. RIP Christopher Reeve.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Aye, R.I.P. Be nice to see if 'Smallville' does a tribute for him, not least of which because his guest appearances in the show would be some of his last television work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Well, this has pretty much ruined my day. And it's barely 9am. Dammit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

i bet he just went back to krypton for a break.

R.i.p. chris

It's a sad sad for film fans everywhere.
    I went out to day wearing my Superman t-shirt totally unaware of what had happened. I only found out at college. Im now wearing it as a mark of respect to the great man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I'm truely shocked at this news! I thought that he'd fight all the way and eventually start walking. I hope he is finally at peace now. RIP Superman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Christopher Reeve R.I.P

you were the reason i broke 3 rib's when i was 4, but i forgive you.....

Split my head open, I wonder how many people have similar stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm truely shocked at this news! I thought that he'd fight all the way and eventually start walking. I hope he is finally at peace now. RIP Superman!
    Yeah, I thought he'd manage to do it too. There goes the last shred of my innocence.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Sad to see him die, he did a lot to try and overcome his paralysis and his courage should be inspiration for others in similar situations. But I still think he pretty much stinks as an actor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

From BBC.com

The 52-year-old had been suffering from an infection as a result of a pressure wound and died on Sunday, his publicist Wesley Combs said.

He suffered a cardiac arrest at his New York home and slipped into a coma, Mr Combs added.

Reeve was paralysed nine years ago when he broke his neck after being thrown from a horse.

He later became an advocate for spinal cord injury research. In recent years, he had regained sensation in some parts of his body.

He had also returned to acting, appearing in a 1998 production of Rear Window, a modern version of the Alfred Hitchcock thriller about a man in a wheelchair who becomes convinced that a neighbour has been murdered.

Reeve's wife Dana said in a statement: "On behalf of my entire family, I want to thank Northern Westchester Hospital for the excellent care they provided to my husband.

"I also want to thank his personal staff of nurses and aides, as well as the millions of fans from around the world who have supported and loved my husband over the years."

Reeve was a virtual unknown before he shot to superstardom in the 1978 blockbuster Superman.

Thanks to meticulous preparation and close physical resemblance to the comic-strip hero, producers gave him the part.

The film and its three sequels turned Reeve into a worldwide star and grossed $300m.

Actress Susannah York, who played Superman's mother, told BBC Radio Five Live Reeve had "enormous goodness of soul and courage".

"I felt terribly proud to play his mother. When I was doing the film I thought 'Wow, this guy is terrific'.

"He was a very real contender for a Superman hero figure, because of his courage and generosity of spirit. He was fun.

"I think he was great... what he set out to do since his accident... I admired him incredibly."

Film director Michael Winner called Reeve the "archetypal movie star".

"I think he grew to personify a heroic struggle against disability," said Winner.

"We all kind of believed that we would one day see him walk again and instead we see him die really very young."

It takes extraordinary individuals like Reeve to recognise that investment and effort is worthwhile in the long run to work for others
    Professor Colin Blakemore
    He added: "He was a kind of action actor and to see an action actor who played Superman paralysed and hardly able to speak was terrible, but we all had hope for him and it is tragic that those hopes have been dashed."

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from his horse during an equestrian competition in Culpeper, Virginia.

He then became a tireless campaigner for stem cell research, forcing it on to the political agenda.

Senator John Kerry mentioned Reeve in the latest presidential debate, calling him a friend whom he hoped would walk again thanks to stem cell research.

Professor Colin Blakemore, chief executive of the Medical Research Council, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme said it took commitment like Reeve's to carry research forward.

"It takes extraordinary individuals like Reeve to recognise that investment and effort is worthwhile in the long run to work for others.

"He always said that he was working for himself and was convinced that there would be a cure, but I think probably deep in his mind he knew his efforts would be far more likely to pay off for others than for him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

i too hoped he would walk again, he gave hope to many paralised people around the world. wonder what maddox will have to say today.

R.I.P Christopher Reeve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Very sad, 52 is very young.

shudda put the link in.
    here ye go.

link to bbc story
    couple of pics there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Pity! A truely underrated actor who was more than just 'The guy who played Superman' imho. Very inspirational guy too. I saw a doc about him a couple of years ago and you could tell he honestly believed he was going to walk again.

Speaking of which ..... (and eerily this was scheduled at least a week ago :eek: ). .......

DOCUMENTARY: Christopher Reeve: Keeping Hope in Motion
    Channel: BBC 1 Northern Ireland
    Date: Wednesday 20th October 2004
    Time: 22:50 to 23:50 (starting in 9 days)
    Duration: 1 hour.
    Documentary following Christopher Reeve's continuing battle to overcome the paralysis he suffered in a riding accident in 1995. After defying expectations by regaining sensation all over his body and movement in his fingers and legs, he then undergoes a revolutionary new operation to get him off the ventilator and allow him to breathe unaided again.
    (Widescreen, Subtitles)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.digiguide.com. Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia Ltd. Information copied from DigiGuide cannot be re-distributed, sold or used without prior written consent from GipsyMedia Ltd. All rights reserved.

//

IMHO It would now seem doubly appropriate to show this but knowing BBC I'm sure they'll axe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

what is a pressure wound exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jared almasy

i dont mean to sound pretentious but he really was a true hero, he will be greatly missed. R.I.P. christopher reeve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

weemcd wrote:
    i too hoped he would walk again, he gave hope to many paralised people around the world. wonder what maddox will have to say today.

R.I.P Christopher Reeve

Was wondering that myself... he didn't back down though in all fairness.
    Im now wearing it as a mark of respect to the great man.

Not really though - you'd just be topless without it.

R.I.P. Mr. Reeves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What can you say? While The Man Of Steel is role for which he'll be remembered his real triumph in Superman was his ability to convince you that he really was two characters. He switched from socially shy bumbling Clark Kent to confident superhero without the join ever showing and that takes good levels of skill. I mention this cos on five live Barry Norman was asked about him and the great man was'nt too effusive about Reeves acting ability.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

NoelRock wrote:
    he didn't back down though in all fairness.

Wow what a guy! Even tho Reeve is dead at least I can console myself with the knowledge that Maddox is still around to write his puerile articles and chew up bandwidth with his worthless website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

R.I.P Christopher Reeve

One great actor. It was great to see him appearing in the Smallville series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

mike65 wrote:
    What can you say? While The Man Of Steel is role for which he'll be remembered his real triumph in Superman was his ability to convince you that he really was two characters. He switched from socially shy bumbling Clark Kent to confident superhero without the join ever showing and that takes good levels of skill. I mention this cos on five live Barry Norman was asked about him and the great man was'nt too effusive about Reeves acting ability.

Mike.

Damn right! I saw Superman for the first time last year since I was a kid and I was really surprised by how good he was. I preferred him as Clarke Kent than as Superman. Not everyone can do bumbling and heroic. I'd like to see Cruise and co. try that.

Heard on the radion this evening that he went to Chile in the 80's and spoke out against Pinochet there. A bit of a man of steel (balls of) in real life as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I nearly fell out of my bed when i heard it this morning on the radio. I'm still in shock, i just cant belive it. Superman is a film i've been watching my hole life and Christoper Reeve was a great and underated actor.
    I always thought i would see him walk again, i really did.

RIP Superman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yea, I thought he would walk again too, pity ;(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

R.I.P Chris! :( Fly again in Heaven!

man.... how sad! :( he was my favourite Superman! he WAS THE Superman!

Advertisement