Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9am starts.....

• 11-10-2004 7:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭

Evil.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

aye, pretty evil....
    (i went to a school that started @ 8am)

i'm just finished que'ing for a locker, thats why i'm up, and using the pc room in the Art's block

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yeah but that was school, this is college, up in the am hours just seems un-natural.. :/

And uhhh 4th year comp eng lecture it is too......

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

tbh i like my timetable, 10am starts 4 days's a week and a 3pm start on thursday's

hrmm 1 9, 2 10's, an 11 and a 12...could be worse i spose..... still its a monday like :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

/me kicks dust in all your faces.. No 9 am starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

SkyLynx wrote:
    hrmm 1 9, 2 10's, an 11 and a 12...could be worse i spose..... still its a monday like :s

Oh boohoo. I have three of them, deal with it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

I've got 4. And I don't even do a science subject!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

SkyLynx wrote:
    yeah but that was school, this is college, up in the am hours just seems un-natural.. :/

And uhhh 4th year comp eng lecture it is too......

...so you're in 4th year engineering eh. You were probably in my 3E3 class last year on Mondays at 9. Isn't a bit evil that engineers start every week in every year at 9.

hrm me = Triceradon = Serialkiller
    I'm 3rd year maths...............

Tho you have acerimmer i believe ;)

(And we got to go do some probability in it, o the joy's of having taken a statistics course before ;) )

and 5 people in the D stream, jebus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

One 9am start and most Wednesdays off, pretty good for science methinks.

• Advertisement

SkyLynx wrote:
    hrm me = Triceradon = Serialkiller
    I'm 3rd year maths...............

Tho you have acerimmer i believe ;)

(And we got to go do some probability in it, o the joy's of having taken a statistics course before ;) )

and 5 people in the D stream, jebus....

Ah - I understand. 5 in the D stream is a big change on my day. We had 30 and that wasn't so long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

have to say im reaaalllly not liking this whole 9-5 thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Ugh don't remind me today I had lectures at 11:00 NON STOP till 4 no time for lunch or anything, complete nightmare. Even the mechanics lecturer though that was pretty ****ty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Ugh don't remind me today I had lectures at 11:00 NON STOP till 4 no time for lunch or anything, complete nightmare. Even the mechanics lecturer though that was pretty ****ty.

I'm afraid I beat you there, I was in from 11 to 7 non-stop today. Technically I was supposed to have a break from 4 till 5, but I spent that in an extra maths lecture*. Come to think of it, you're JF Theoretical Physics, if I'm not mistaken, PrecariousNuts? Shouldn't you have been taking that class (111)?

*The reason I'm taking "extra" maths lectures is that at the moment, I'm actually in the PCAM course, but seeing as I'm applying to switch to the mathematics course (and my tutor says I shouldn't have any problems getting in), I'm attending as many of the lectures on the maths course as possible, squeezed in between my PCAM lectures. Quite the proverbial bitch, given that in a couple of weeks I'll most likely be accepted into the maths course, be way behind everyone else, while all this time I'm taking physics and chemistry lectures that I not only already know, but there's a ninety percent chance I won't even need. Damn circumstances! :mad:

Ha, you're right! I was actually at that class, I mixed it up with a free physics period that I had beforehand (which I won't have anymore). I really hate the way he does be doing one line of a lemma then the next line is the left hand side only but it still has an equals sign. I kept confusing it thinking he was just continuing on from the previous, very annoying I must say. Anyway I managed to do the cancellative lemma and the x0 = 0 (or was that the other way around?) on the bus on the way home today, wasn't too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Thraktor wrote:
    I'm afraid I beat you there, I was in from 11 to 7 non-stop today. Technically I was supposed to have a break from 4 till 5, but I spent that in an extra maths lecture*. Come to think of it, you're JF Theoretical Physics, if I'm not mistaken, PrecariousNuts? Shouldn't you have been taking that class (111)?

*The reason I'm taking "extra" maths lectures is that at the moment, I'm actually in the PCAM course, but seeing as I'm applying to switch to the mathematics course (and my tutor says I shouldn't have any problems getting in), I'm attending as many of the lectures on the maths course as possible, squeezed in between my PCAM lectures. Quite the proverbial bitch, given that in a couple of weeks I'll most likely be accepted into the maths course, be way behind everyone else, while all this time I'm taking physics and chemistry lectures that I not only already know, but there's a ninety percent chance I won't even need. Damn circumstances! :mad:
    Ehm...to point out the obvious...why attend the physics and chemistry lectures then!!!??? There's no attendance list, and you're not missing anything even if you don't get into mathematics. I dropped geog/geology, and even though my timetable being updated, you don't see me going to them (cursed 9am lectures they are) ?

Pet wrote:
    Ehm...to point out the obvious...why attend the physics and chemistry lectures then!!!??? There's no attendance list, and you're not missing anything even if you don't get into mathematics. I dropped geog/geology, and even though my timetable being updated, you don't see me going to them (cursed 9am lectures they are) ?

Ah, but you see I am losing something. A certain percentage of my yearly marks go for labs, tutorials, homeworks, etc., so if I just stop going to all my PCAM stuff, then it turns out I didn't get into maths, I'll have lost a pile of marks already. Comparatively, while I believe the maths course also rewards continous assessment marks for tutorials, homeworks and such, they should take that into account when I join the course a couple of weeks late (besides, I'd have one hell of a difficult time trying to explain to the lecturers not only why I am attending a lecture I'm not supposed to be in, but why I'm going to the trouble of doing all the assignments and tutorials on top of my own course as well!). Regardless of what the best course of action is, I'll be talking to my tutor later this week, and I'm trying to get into contact with whoever's head of the JF maths course to see if I can't find out how to approach things. I'm sure things'll work out fine. Besides, until then, I'm reading through the online notes of the maths lectures I've missed, so at least I'll have some idea of what's going on if I happen to find myself dumped into the course in a couple of weeks.
    Ha, you're right! I was actually at that class, I mixed it up with a free physics period that I had beforehand (which I won't have anymore). I really hate the way he does be doing one line of a lemma then the next line is the left hand side only but it still has an equals sign. I kept confusing it thinking he was just continuing on from the previous, very annoying I must say. Anyway I managed to do the cancellative lemma and the x0 = 0 (or was that the other way around?) on the bus on the way home today, wasn't too bad

Yeah, it's not too difficult once you get your head around it. Trouble is, I missed yesterday's lecture, so for the first couple of minutes I had a bit of trouble following what was going on (as you can expect, without a knowledge of Peano's Axioms, or, for that matter, even what the word lemma means, my first reaction could have been best put to words as "What the f***?"), until I managed to get yesterday's notes off the guy next to me. Of course, getting home at 8pm each day doesn't leave much time left over for revising over the material for two full degree courses, I'm afraid, so I doubt I'm going to be able to keep up with the class until I can focus solely on maths.

Analysis, you've missed nothing
    Algebra, Peano stuff but I think you got that today and maybe yesterday?
    Mechanics, first lecture was earlier today
    Computing, nothing
    Maths Methods, vectors, schwarz stuff today
    Statistics, I don't do.

Analysis, you've missed nothing
    Algebra, Peano stuff but I think you got that today and maybe yesterday?
    Mechanics, first lecture was earlier today
    Computing, nothing
    Maths Methods, vectors, schwarz stuff today
    Statistics, I don't do.

Yeah, answered above, you posted this just before I edited my previous post. Anyway, I know this algebra guy puts his notes and stuff up on the internet, but do many of the other lecturers? Or, for that matter, do they stick pretty close to textbooks? I'd be quite helpful if I were able to catch up merely by reading books and lecturer's notes, as it saves me having to track down other people's notes or having to keep asking hundreds of questions in lectures/tutorials.

text books eh? what be those then? only one iirc that was remotely close on a text book was 111, and even then it was taken from the book in near on random order.......

As for going to both sets of lectures, imo just stop going to the PCAM ones, if u have the points then i'd be about 99% sure you'll get in no worries. As for head of JF maths, last time i checked that position doesn't exist. Drop into the maths office tho, waffle away and they'll point ye at a lecturer who can probally help ye. Tutor's r crap. Ring the admissions office n bug em like mad about yer application(they r spa's btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

SkyLynx wrote:
    As for going to both sets of lectures, imo just stop going to the PCAM ones
    Thraktor wrote:
    A certain percentage of my yearly marks go for labs, tutorials, homeworks, etc., so if I just stop going to all my PCAM stuff, then it turns out I didn't get into maths, I'll have lost a pile of marks already.

I have to agree with sky here.. You're putting WAY to much importance on all lectures, tuts n tut sheets. Just go to your labs man, they're the only things that are worth bog all marks. If per chance you don't get into maths then there is nothing you could have missed in 2-3 weeks of phys-chem lectures that an afternoon in the library wont cure.. You're only in JF, no need at all to put yourself under so much time pressure... Enjoy it ffs :D

ye "a certain percentage", highest i'm aware of is like 20%, only matters that u pass first year.....hrmmm...and not like u could miss more than 5% of that 20 by xmas anyhoo....

u should be not going to either set by now n going drink'n instead....

I managed to stick to my resolve of going to every lecture this year for an entire day..lol, managed to get to nothing today...soo hungover..

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

i did the exact same course as jf pcam last yr and i have to agree with sky and apex- you really wont miss anything not going to tutorials/lectures in the first couple of weeks- they really dont do much with ye and anything they do is pretty easy and very easy to catch up on. go to labs and youll be grand!

yeah me lil bro never stop's moaning about learning to add again in maths r summit ;)

Anyone know where I can get the actual timetable for the maths course? I've got a couple of conflicting ones, but I can't find a standard printed timetable like the nice pink one I got for PCAM (they really think a lot of us), or the blue one I picked up for Theoretical Physics (which, by the way, I just found out this morning that I'm not getting into, didn't get marked up in either of the papers I got rechecked). And, according to the maths dept., the person to talk to is Dr. Timoney, so I've just sent him an e-mail, and hopefully he'll tell me what the hell I'm supposed to be doing.

As regards to not bothering going to the PCAM lectures, I know it makes sense, but I really don't want to get into the habit of skipping lectures on only my third day of college and besides, as I've said above, I don't even have the actual timetable for the Maths course, so I wouldn't even know what I'm supposed to do with all that time I'm skipping off PCAM.

is it a big deal to skip tutorials....?
    have to skip one next wk cos of debs :S
    will i get a bollocking?

Depends on the course, the subject, the lecturer and the number in the class. In engineering, tutorials are mandatory (still doesn't mean maximum attendance). Not sure about nursing. Odds are no-one will miss you if you're not there, but if want to be sure try finding out if the same tutorial is on at another time and see if you can go to that; or else you could have a word with the lecturer to explain that you won't be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Thraktor this is the maths timetable:

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/timetable/ttjf.html

print that or esle go to maths dept. office and get one.
    Btw im in JF maths myself.

David19 wrote:
    Thraktor this is the maths timetable:

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/timetable/ttjf.html

print that or esle go to maths dept. office and get one.
    Btw im in JF maths myself.

Thanks, although I see there's a 151 class in the morning, and I though I actually had friday off!

• Advertisement

theres not that many in the class but the lecturer doesnt know any1 yet so i wnt b missed!

Advertisement