Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vive Irlande

• 11-10-2004 8:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

I myself sometime back said international football was ailing and players weren't intrested anymore. I would like to retract my comments because the quality of football produced by those irish players at the weekend was tremendous. They sweated blood for that jersey in St Denis. All round the international football was of the highest performance, for crying out loud Italy got beaten by Slovenia. It just goes to show the quality of these players. Although I still may disagree with friendlies, "Vive Irlande".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Actually I think you are still right in your former opinion. But I think it's only really the 'top' national sides that are having that problem. I feel theres a general attitude forming amongst the elite players that'd 'yeah it'd be nice to win world cups but the Champions league is really where it's at today.'

For the vast majority of the Irish squad winning a champions league medal is never gonna be a reality so for lot of the Irish lads (and I'm not kidding here) the world cup/euro champs is increasingly looking like their best chance of winning a international medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Pigman II wrote:
    Actually I think you are still right in your former opinion. But I think it's only really the 'top' national sides that are having that problem. I feel theres a general attitude forming amongst the elite players that'd 'yeah it'd be nice to win world cups but the Champions league is really where it's at today.'

For the vast majority of the Irish squad winning a champions league medal is never gonna be a reality so for lot of the Irish lads (and I'm not kidding here) the world cup/euro champs is increasingly looking like their best chance of winning a international medal.

Can't say I agree Pigman, IMHO The World Cup is still THE trophy that everyone wants to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Kone wrote:
    Can't say I agree Pigman, IMHO The World Cup is still THE trophy that everyone wants to win!
    I'd have to agree with Pigman, while a lot of top players would certainly like to win a World Cup or European Championship I think they are getting to be seen as a hassleful sideline to the real thing. There is also the problem of most of the world's top players being universally unfit when a big championship comes around. I think FIFA's intiative of a few weeks rest before a major championship is an excellent one and should go a ways to reducing this, it's perhaps the best intiative I've seen from FIFA in years. Perhaps the only good one. Apart from the one about female players getting their tits out for the lads.

A lot of major nations seem to be going the way Spain are and Greece used to be. No passion for the national team in Spain this is due I think to the affinity players feel for their own provinces Basques, Catalans etc. have far more national fervour for Basque Country or Catalunya than Spain and the Greeks just found their national team embarrasing in comparison to their club teams.

It seems these days the top players just have other prioities. It's a damn shame.

Advertisement