Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something has just been erected

Options
  • 11-10-2004 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Sorry if it's the wrong forum. This huge mast just popped up over the weekend in Coolock D17.

What do you think it is? We already have a mobile phone mast around the corner...

Picture attached

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its for Ground to Air interdiction of unauthorised aircraft . It is more politically acceptable to shoot them down over Coolock than over Santry or Howth :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Hmmm, theres one of these fellas beside my window in work.
    Blackthorn Road, Sandyford.
    From what I can see theres nothing on it. ?

Maybe its for some future (shock! ) stuff

Edit: Early morning spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

LOL,

I'm not from Coolock but that went down very well in the office ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

It could be an ESB mast if it is an ESB sub-station; they built one of these at the M50 Finglas interchange. Meteor also ordered a few of these about 4 years ago; it could be them if not ESB.
    thegills

I think muck was right. It's some kind of futuristic tesla coyle seen in games like command & conquer ;)

Artists impression of it in operation attached

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Willie O'Dea and Herr Flick are having a turf war about who controls the weapon systems on these towers and as to whose budget will be used to pay for the tech. Verrrrrry hush hush perimiter defence of Dublin Airport stuff. .

O'Dea is known to be concerned about the automatic fire control system for the Hellfire missiles and the fact that some skangers letting off fireworks at a bonfire nearby could be interpreted as 'incoming' , thereby prompting an 'intervention' .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mobile phone mast!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's the new site for the Ballymun Bungee Jumping Club now that they are going to pull down the high-rise blocks.
    Who knows maybe they will even buy bungee ropes this time. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Here's one in Douglas Village in the Independent People's Republic of Cork[1], attached to an ESB sub-station. I know you're going to accuse me of theorising on the conspiracy front, but I have it on good authority[3] that this is part of a land-based network to enable global coverage for the voice in George Bush's head[4].

adam

[1] IPROC, a recent breakaway group made up of sinister egomaniacal intellectuals[2].
    [2] Me.
    [3] My sister-in-law's cousins dentist met this guy in the pub who was in the Green Berets with a guy that knew one of the Secret Service guys that used to protect Clinton, but drinks with a guy that protects Bush. I know the dentist guy is telling the truth because he would've outed David Norris as gay before David knew himself, except that an elite team of HALO Special Forces military mascots abducted him and kept him imprisoned in a barn in county Offaly for ten years and tortured him and stuff, especially the donkey, the bastard, and I have way to much time on my hands.
    [4] Karl Rove.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Isn't I-proc copyrighted by Apple in Cork ? Their own stylistic version of PROC for the employees that work up in knocka ? Same idea, just looks better and cleaner but costs you triple.

Adam, you drove out to Douglas just to take those photos for this thread didn't you ?

• Advertisement

Mystery solved. Apparently it's an o2 mast. I can't understand why they need another one, I'm with o2 myself and I receive perfect signal due to the mast about 300 metres away from this new one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

damien.m wrote:
    Isn't I-proc copyrighted by Apple in Cork ?
    Yeah, but mine's got a big I. So to speak.
    Adam, you drove out to Douglas just to take those photos for this thread didn't you ?
    Nope, I was actually in BOI being alternately scolded and fawned on by my account manager, and remembered seeing one of these before and wondering what it was. It's been up there about a year, year and a half. Meteor mast I suppose. Ugly things.

EDIT: Just noticed that there's a point-to-point drum on it as well.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Praetorian wrote:
    Mystery solved. Apparently it's an o2 mast. I can't understand why they need another one, I'm with o2 myself and I receive perfect signal due to the mast about 300 metres away from this new one!

It's probably to increase capacity in the area, rather than to increase coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Praetorian wrote:
    £g possibly. Need more masts apparently and they've been having trouble getting planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They are dotted along the M50 too.. O2 could be taking into account future population increases in the area?

Advertisement