Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Match (Sky 1)

• 11-10-2004 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Did anyone watch this last night? If you dont know what im talking about, then basically it was a team of 2-bit celebs taking on a team of legends. The legends were really good (considering their age!) and deserved their win. It was a real nostalgia trip to see some of them out there playing.

Pallister scored a good goal (shocking keeper!), then Wilkes (for the celebs) scored with a jammy over-hit cross that the 62 year-old keeper couldnt catch, finally Ally McCoist popped up in the last minute of injury time to poke home the winner for the legends.

The auld fellas did really well i though, bryan robson busted a few lads, wrighty had a running battle with harvey (so solid crew) and generally it was a right old ding-dong at times. Gazza looked good (but was taken off at half time) and leTissier came on to replace him. He had one moment of magic that just rolled back the years, when he pulled down a cross, swivelled and shot narrowly over - was an amazing piece of skill. He still has some of his tricks too, but looked very overweight.

Twas good to watch footy on a sunday night though, and Bobby Robson finally got a trophy in St James park!

Match Report here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

watched it ... enjoyed it ... cringed at gazza at half time ... thought alex stewart and ralph little were good for celebs and that guy from casualty when he came on. The legends still had some moves too , felt sorry for the 63 year old keeper , lucky for him it did not go to peno's ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Yeah... Peter Bonetti is looking a little shook these days, though i hear Man Utd are interested in getting a keeper with lots of experience :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Boro wrote:
    Yeah... Peter Bonetti is looking a little shook these days,

I think Bonetti's been a little shook ever since 14/6/70!

Have to say tho that celeb team did better than I was expecting. Little, Wilkes and Stewart didn't play half bad tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yaah I watched it and It was a good game,, The celebs were a lot better than I would have expected. It was greatr seeing th legends again. That team would cost some amount of money if they were in their Prime today.

It was a really nice touch at the end to make that presentation to Bobby Robsom from theobby was manager of the legends team and he was presented with a ceremonial sword and thanked for his services Newcastle United.

I too was amazed with Gazza . He was given 3 chances to score into an empty goal from the center spot at half time and put all 3 wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Well on the third attempt it was more like a cross to Jimmy 5 Bellies who dispatched it with aplomb!

Darren Campbell i reckon would do well at the division 1 level - bags of pace and a very good shot - he was unlucky to hit the crossbar in the first half and also had 1 cleared off the line. I saw glimpses of him during the week in their training sessions and he scored some cracking goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The Muppet wrote:
    I too was amazed with Gazza . He was given 3 chances to score into an empty goal from the center spot at half time and put all 3 wide.

I think he was missing deliberately. The way he missed the 2nd one to the right by almost exactly the same amount as he missed the first to the left got me suspicious. The 3rd 'miss' landing right at 5bellies foot confirmed for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Pigman II wrote:
    I think he was missing deliberately. The way he missed the 2nd one to the right by almost exactly the same amount as he missed the first to the left got me suspicious. The 3rd 'miss' landing right at 5bellies foot confirmed for me anyway.
    I dunno about i think he might just be that bad but it was funny all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Why would he be missing on purpose, did he want to look like a tool?? The presenter bird looked very embarrassed. I nearly fell of my chair laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I matched the game , and thought it was cruel on the celebs how McCoist popped up at the end to score .
    Very unfourtunate to have Bosnich injured .
    If they do it again next year maybe the legends could have some fresher players like: Seaman , Stauton , Keown , Adams , Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand , and sveral other retired/almost retired players of that calibre , but who still have some youth , maybe throw in Bergkamp aswell :D , the celebs would be destroyed :) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

It was a very enjoyobale game,great to see waddle skipping past players and le tiss showing a glimpse of his old magic!
    Gazza to be fair was in excellent shape he was storming up and down the pitch and was annoyed that they took him off to be honest,would have liked to have seen a bit more of bosnich he was unlucky to get a strain.
    It was all for a good cause ,i hope it was a success and is repeated in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement