Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something Better then EditPlus

Options
  • 11-10-2004 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

I need something to put some Java programs together, been using EditPlus for about 3 year, thought i'd ask if there is it's worth my while packing it in for a better one. i'd like something for free, but if there is something worth buying i wouldn't have to much of a problem.

any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Before the bombardment of "Eclipse" begins, I'd like to get a word in in favour of Borland JBuilderX.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you're just looking for advanced text editors HTMLkit is always worth a look, handles colouring, is pretty good with indentation and you can set it up to launch compilers, JVMs etc and there's hundreds of plugins.

For wysiwyg Suns Java One v4 used to be free, not sure if it still is or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Eclipse, Eclipse, Eclipse, Eclipse, Eclipse, :)
    Can be found at http://eclipse.org/

Another free one is http://www.netbeans.org/

And if you have the money to spend then you can't get a more pleasant experience than IntelliJ - http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

if you use these tools, in 2 weeks you will wonder how you ever got
    by using EditPlus.

I recommend netbeans it is a pure java IDE.

for web development it can only be netbeans especially the new v4.

i use netbeans for clientside GUIs written in swing also,
    but next release I'm going to give eclipse a try seeing as how
    everybody is saying how good it is.( for client GUIs only)

both netbeans and eclipse are free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Eclipse 3 is pretty much like Netbeans 4 - but it looks better ( Netbeans is UGLY, SWT is far nicer ). So....eclipse :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

jedit is a very powerful editor with an extension available for pretty much everything

if you want a job in java programming, you have got to have web services,
    netbeans is the only one for web services

ibm is sponsoring a lot of the colleges lately and getting them to push eclipse
    it is widely used in university setting but not in production environments.

eclipse if you want to make little apps to maintain your music collection
    netbeans if you want enterprise, real world, put food on the table apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tempest

madramor wrote:
    if you want a job in java programming, you have got to have web services,
    netbeans is the only one for web services

That's just not true. Web Services are great but they are not the be all and end all.
    madramor wrote:
    eclipse if you want to make little apps to maintain your music collection
    netbeans if you want enterprise, real world, put food on the table apps.

:eek:

If you want to write web-services then read the specification, write a few lines of wsdl, and write the web-service code in your favourite ide. There is absolutely no drawback to writing the code in eclipse, and little advantage in writing it in netbeans.

In response to the thread:

Eclipse is an excellent ide overall. If you are looking for an ide i'd go with eclipse, but don't take my word for it;try out netbeans aswell if you get a chance and see if it suits you better. Horses for courses and all.

jEdit as a java editor provides a ton of features and is really mature. The plugin management is simple. It's just a nice editor with some really nice features. If you are just looking for an editor and going to manage everything else with a few build scripts then I'd look at jEdit as it's lighter than any ide but still very powerful.

tempest wrote:
    That's just not true. Web Services are great but they are not the be all and end all.

they are where the money is

tempest wrote:
    If you want to write web-services then read the specification, write a few lines of wsdl, and write the web-service code in your favourite ide. There is absolutely no drawback to writing the code in eclipse, and little advantage in writing it in netbeans.

netbeans comes with an intergrated tomcat, which allows for fast testing and
    development, big advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

netbeans comes with an intergrated tomcat, which allows for fast testing and
    development, big advantage

The sysdeo plugin integrates tomcat with eclipse. Any changes made to your source are automatically loaded on the tomcat server.

The Myeclipse stuff integrates with struts and has a jsp editor/debugger etc.

davej

• Advertisement
Advertisement