Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keano Doubtful For Wednesday

• 11-10-2004 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Link

I suppose this will lead to speculation that he is picking and choosing his matches but with no disrespect intended to the Faroes we should be able to do the job without him. I, like to see Kavanagh take his place if he can,t make it or if we are going all out in attack Miller may fit the bill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Roy Keane was training this morning !! So that story must have been bóllócks !!

I hope Kerr doesnt play him, we have a few options in the center of the park, Miller, Kilbane, Kavanagh and of course Mr Invisible Holland. Why play Keane when we have a bigger squad ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Roy Keane was training this morning !! So that story must have been bóllócks !!

I hope Kerr doesnt play him, we have a few options in the center of the park, Miller, Kilbane, Kavanagh and of course Mr Invisible Holland. Why play Keane when we have a bigger squad ?

I second that. There's no need for him to start the match, but would be handy to have on the bench in case of a Lichenstein-like disaster (severly doubt it will happen... ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Have to add my voice to the agreement, as the therecklessone said it'd be nice to have him on the bench, just in case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamie_jj69

I dont think Keane is picking and chosing matches... I think he's looking pretty happy with the set up under Kerr at the minute... I'd like to see Kavanagh in there if Keane is not going to play. I think he's kind of a similar player, hard tackler, and an excellent passer of the ball. He's impressed me when I've seen him in the Irish jersey.... as thejollyrodger said... holland tends to not show up on the pitch....

better beat the faroes.... and it better not rain... i'll be at the match...

C'mon the Ireland....

Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, we're going to Germany....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

As I've said in a previous thread there's no need to play him as it's not worth risking him getting another yellow card which will mean he will miss the game against Israel which is looking more and more like a very important match.

I reckon Kerr might still have Keane on the bench as a PR excercise and especially as he doesn't have to travel with it being a home fixture.

Either way, I hope he doesn't play him because in all fairness if we can't get 3 points from minnows like the Faroes without Keane well then all this talk about topping the group will be in vain.

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah i have to agree with the lads, id nearly give miller a run on wednesday with
    Kavanagh and duff and roberto kilbano, keeping keane on the bench just to be on the safe side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

BaZmO* wrote:
    As I've said in a previous thread there's no need to play him as it's not worth risking him getting another yellow card which will mean he will miss the game against Israel which is looking more and more like a very important match.
    I thought it was 3 bookings for a suspension? If it is 2 then we can't play him on Wedensday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

In fairness, Matt Holland was brilliant during the 2002 World Cup. Since then, his form (and fitness) has been a bit questionable, but I'm pretty sure he's still good enough to manage the Faroes' midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    I thought it was 3 bookings for a suspension? If it is 2 then we can't play him on Wedensday.

Personally I'm not 100% sure whether it's 2 or 3 but they said it was 2 on the radio this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

mr_angry wrote:
    In fairness, Matt Holland was brilliant during the 2002 World Cup. Since then, his form (and fitness) has been a bit questionable, but I'm pretty sure he's still good enough to manage the Faroes' midfield.

true but Kavanagh is much more deserving of a starting place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

beckham picked up his second against wales on saturday and is suspended for the next match according to the commentators.

i think it is just 2 yellows and yer out.

i think roy should have tried to get booked on saturday and be out for this match :)

beckam has sensibe after all :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

me fail english?
    unpossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

me fail english?
    unpossible!

Oh him card read good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Speaking of which:

(From Sky sports)

Becks wanted booking

England captain David Beckham has admitted that he got himself deliberately booked against Wales, as he knew injury would rule him out of the Azerbaijan game.

Beckham also confirmed that he would not be playing for Real this week - as the Spanish titans had hoped - and that he could be sidelined until December.

Beckham clashed in a 50-50 challenge with Ben Thatcher during the 2-0 World Cup qualifying victory on Saturday.

The Real Madrid ace knew that he had damaged a rib, as he had suffered a similar injury during his time at Manchester United.

Because he knew he would not play in Baku anyway, Beckham - already on a yellow card - flew into a reckless challenge on Thatcher, knowing Norwegian referee Terje Hauge would book him, meaning a suspension for one international match.

"I am sure some people think that I have not got the brains to be that clever," said Beckham.

"But I do have the brains. I could feel the injury so I fouled Thatcher, it was deliberate.

"I knew straight away I had broken my ribs, I have done it before. I knew I would be out for a few weeks, so I thought: 'Let's get the yellow card out of the way.'

"It's frustrating. Saturday was a positive game for me personally. I scored one of my best goals ever, up there with those against Greece, Colombia and Wimbledon.

"I had criticism leading up to the game, so scoring the goal meant a lot. I wanted to prove to people I can still score goals like that.

"That goal reminded everyone of my talent and it was great to do it back at Old Trafford. But some of the headlines were 'Great goal but yellow card again'. People pick up on the negatives. That's sad. Some people have other agendas, hidden agendas. They build you up, [and] bring you down."

Beckham admits he was not looking to clash with Thatcher.

"I had stayed away from any trouble in the game and was doing well and then I got injured. Thatcher fouled me," Beckham continued in The Daily Telegraph.

"I respect him as a player and for his aggressive side. He is strong. But I have watched the video again and he doesn't look at the ball when he comes in at me. But these things happen. I don't have a problem with Thatcher."

The Londoner also doubts Real's claims that he could be training this week, let alone playing by Saturday against Real Betis and thinks he will be lucky to be back in action before mid-November.

"It's a frustrating injury because there is no treatment. I can't go running or training because it hurts too much," he said.

"The last time I broke my ribs [at United], Alex Ferguson put me on a bike after two weeks and I couldn't do it. I couldn't breathe. There is nothing you can do apart from rest.

"I will fly to Madrid and see the Real doctor immediately. I heard Madrid want me training by Wednesday but that is not possible.

"If you come back too soon, you can damage it again. I am in constant pain. I have been on painkillers. I will be out for four to five weeks. I just want to get back playing, to get Real back up the table. I would love to play in England's friendly against Spain (next month) but I will struggle to make it."

Shaun Wright-Phillips as been tipped as Beckham's most likely and he is full of praise for the Manchester City starlet.

"I want Shaun to have the best game he has ever had," he continued. "Not only is Shaun a great talent who trains really hard but he is a great lad as well. He deserves his chance.

"People have tried to make rivalries between me and Shaun or me and Wayne Rooney but that's not right. It's about wanting England to do well. Just because Shaun is going into the game maybe in my position, does not mean I don't want him to do well. I hope he does brilliantly."

Roy Keane got a 5 match ban for admitting he deliberatly fouled AIH, surely something will come of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

it obvious he did it - the fact he admitted speaks volumes for his intelligence. Hope FIFA charge him with bringing the game into disrepute and he gets a 3 match ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

He's a bleedin liar. He was mad thick with Thatcher and decided to have a go. The second booking was simply an afterthought, but a bonus nonetheless.

If he simply wanted a booking he could just have stood in front of a free kick or kicked a ball away, and not risk further injury to his "broken ribs".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Irish manager Brian Kerr on Roy's healing knee injury:

"Fortunately, I think Roy will be fine for the game because he put in a full session in training on Monday. When we got back from Paris on Sunday, I took Roy and the lads into the Irish Sea for a few minutes. I've always been a believer in the healing qualities of the sea and, although it was a bit cold, it seems to have done the trick. It sorted out a few aches and pains."

Classic, sure Fatima has nothing on the Irish Sea!

I listened to the roy and kerr interview on sky sports news. Sounds like they are all focused on the Faroes Islands. Roy basically saying he was available for all the ireland games. I was surprised at that. He also reckons that he can play for another year or two. I was even more surprised at that.

Sounds like Kerr has done his homework and knows what the faroes are all about, I would like to see him mix things about a bit and freshen things up. I didnt think he would play roy though.

Roy went on to say that the squad has become more professional and wants to win. The team werent jumping around after getting a draw like that bad old days. Kerr's backroom staff seem competent too.

I never heard about messing around in the sea to help recover. Probably more shock value than anything :p

SteM wrote:
    Irish manager Brian Kerr on Roy's healing knee injury:

"Fortunately, I think Roy will be fine for the game because he put in a full session in training on Monday. When we got back from Paris on Sunday, I took Roy and the lads into the Irish Sea for a few minutes. I've always been a believer in the healing qualities of the sea and, although it was a bit cold, it seems to have done the trick. It sorted out a few aches and pains."

Classic, sure Fatima has nothing on the Irish Sea!
    From eleven-a-side.com:
    It is not the first time that the Irish boss has exhorted his players to go for a soothing dip in the choppy waters of the Irish Sea – the sight of Damien Duff wading knee-deep in the sea early on a June morning last year prompted the concern of one local resident, who contacted Gardai amid fears that the Irish star was contemplating suicide!
    :D

Andy Reid is said to have a 60% chance of playing.

• Advertisement

Andy Reid is said to have a 60% chance of playing.

I bet he will play. ;)

Advertisement