Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Background Note

Options
  • 11-10-2004 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A21A5/vWeb/pcJUSQ5YBJWM-en

From the DoJ website, this is the document intended to enlighten people about firearms licenceing policies in this country. They really should have put "E&OE" on it, because it's not particularly accurate in a good few places.

Let's see who can spot the various issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's not even grammatically correct in some places!
    It is possible to purchase firearms from registered firearms dealers and people holding a current firearm certificate for the firearm to be bought only.

On the issues:
    in the judgement of the awarding authority (Superintendent of the Garda Síochána), be of good character and sound mind
    Nope, the judgement is that the granting the licence must not be a threat to public safety or the peace. Admittedly they're closely linked, but they're assuredly not the same thing - though the Barr Tribunal is thinking they ought to be!
    Before you apply for a licence for a firearm, you must obtain a note from either the current licence holder or a registered dealer describing the weapon, on condition that you will be granted a licence.
    Technically you only need the firearm's information (type, maker, serial number, calibre). See here.
    Firearms certificates for rifles are granted by the Superintendent of your local Garda (Police) district.
    Or the minister...
    If you are not a land-holder, you must obtain shooting rights from three land-holders in advance of your application and bring evidence of this to your local Garda Station.
    Two land-holders, not three, according to my local Garda last week.
    Before you make your application for a firearms certificate for a rifle in excess of .22 calibre, you must obtain a permit from the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government (Parks and Wildlife) to support your application to shoot game in the open season.
    This is out of date; and prior to being out of date, didn't apply to target shooters...
    Firearms certificates for air rifles are granted by the Superintendent of your local police district. These weapons are dangerous
    Dunno 'bout you, but my Anschutz 2002CA isn't a weapon, and would be dangerous pretty much only if someone swung it at your head like a baseball bat...
    Starting pistols do not carry ammunition
    :eek:
    Antique weapons are those manufactured pre 1845
    I thought it was 1847?

I've probably missed a few, I'm not au fait with hunting legalities...

Advertisement