Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women better then Men at Drinking!!

• 11-10-2004 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭

According to this article they are better drinkers. I'm sure all us men know though that's it's a deeply flawed study. I mean come on! What next Women are better drivers then Men ;) !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Of course we are better drivers. Do u know that men are bound to cause more road deaths than women because they think they can impress girls by speeding. They think own the road.

We always say that alcohol improves your ability to drive. With men it improves their ability to cause more road deaths!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's actually been a proven link between alcohol and female hormones. You can see the effect of this easily enough, give anybody 9/10 pints and they'll talk sh*t for hours and won't be able to drive straight :D

(sorry, I know that's ancient but it just seemed so appropriate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

beer????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pressing buttons? What kind of science is that?

That could also prove that men become more reactive to stimuli (i.e. reacting before thinking) when drunk. It could also prove that women become less reactive to stimuli, and therefore can't hold their drink.

I would however agree with the core of the study. Men do become less inhibited, but only because, for the most part, women are already far less inhibited than men.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone see that BBC/Ch4 documentary last year wher they showed that womens' testosterone levels increase by up to 10 times when fluthered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

KittyKat wrote:
    Of course we are better drivers. Do u know that men are bound to cause more road deaths than women because they think they can impress girls by speeding. They think own the road.

We always say that alcohol improves your ability to drive. With men it improves their ability to cause more road deaths!

True but there is this misconception that men cause more accidents , infact women cause more , as the vast majority of minor accidents (bumper bashing) are caused by women , and there are a lot more minor accidents than major ones , therefore it is safe to say women cause more accidents .

me makes quiet exit from thread , before anyone tries to prove me wrong .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

stevenmu wrote:
    There's actually been a proven link between alcohol and female hormones. You can see the effect of this easily enough, give anybody 9/10 pints and they'll talk sh*t for hours and won't be able to drive straight :D[/SIZE]

Now that's some funny sheeyat! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

KittyKat wrote:
    They think own the road.
    I do, I always wrote my name on the road with chalk when I was a little child - sure I did it only last week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

women can sure drink me under the table ... and by drink I mean suck ... (no I don't)...(yes I do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

women have greater fat reserves to absorbe the alcohol...

FAT AND JUBBLY! *shakes fist, jubblyyyy!!*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

But what are they doing out of the kitchen in the first place!

And so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

seeing as im a complete lightweight, any woman could drink me under any table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I think I speak on behalf of all intelligent people when I say, quite plainly, "Meh..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

strange that 2/3 of the young people brought into A&Es around the country over weekends with alcohol related problems are women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Women currently drink a lot more than men.. though whether they can stay sober longer and handle it better?? Depends on the woman and man you compare her to. Also the time the test is done as sometimes you get drunk faster for no obvious reason.. maybe empty stomach or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm with Sarky! /me holds up a little banner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Ah, but what is a good drinker? Is it the person who can drink the most or the one that knows when to stop? Unfortunately many people think it is the first of those. Then in the process of trying to prove how good a drinker they are they just prove how bad a drinker they are, often with disastrous consequences, for themselves and for others. A good drinker will go out, have a few drinks, enjoy them, have a good night, get safely home and wake up the next morning knowing how they got home and remembering all the fun they had the night before. If you drink to get drunk or prove you can drink more than someone else, you should not be drinking. Drink is great, if you know how to use it. Drinking to get drunk or to outdo someone else is like getting into a car and hoping to crash. Go out and drink properly and you'll get far more enjoyment out of it. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

The participants were then asked to evaluate the effect they thought alcohol had on them, rating how well certain adjectives applied to them.

See, thats why its flawed, the women lied ;)

Besides, men have a short attention span when it comes to this kind of thing...oh, a butterfly....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Generally speaking I am a lightweight, I don't see why people are so interested in being able to drink other people under the table, it just seems like a pointless exercise to me - drinking yourself into a drunken stupor, puking your guts up and not remembering what the hell you did or how the hell you got home (where the policeman's helmet and traffic cone got into your possession).

I will go out and have a few drinks with my mates, I am fairly sure that any lad has more potential to hold their drink than me so there's no real point in trying to play catch up tbh. So I generally stop drinking when I feel drunk, start drinking pints of water and just get on with dancing to get the alcohol out of my system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What does "better at drinking mean"

from that article it says
    Dr Fillimore added: "There is a general supposition that women don't hold their liquor very well but our results show that it is men who become uninhibited and get a high more quickly."

I see that as a bonus, I would love to get pissed on 2 bottles of beer, would save me a fortune and my liver/brain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How much had the various participants in the group had to eat that day?
    How much sleep had they had the night before?
    What alcohol were they drinking?
    What weights were they?
    How fit were they?
    What was their body fat percentage?
    How used to drinking were they?
    What defines a social drinker and is this different for men and women?
    Were any of them drinking the night before?

There's far too many variables missing from that report than I could comment on before lunchtime... An experiment is useless unless you use controls and subjects that have only one difference ceteris paribus.

So how many tas euros were wasted on this piece of nonsense anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Big Ears wrote:
    True but there is this misconception that men cause more accidents , infact women cause more , as the vast majority of minor accidents (bumper bashing) are caused by women , and there are a lot more minor accidents than major ones , therefore it is safe to say women cause more accidents .

me makes quiet exit from thread , before anyone tries to prove me wrong .

I'm talkin the major ones here! Men are the real killaz!! I do agree that women cause alot of minor accidents, but when i get my first car i'll prove yee all wrong! :D
    I do, I always wrote my name on the road with chalk when I was a little child - sure I did it only last week ;)

Ha! Some people never grow up!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Flukey wrote:
    Ah, but what is a good drinker? Is it the person who can drink the most or the one that knows when to stop? Unfortunately many people think it is the first of those. Then in the process of trying to prove how good a drinker they are they just prove how bad a drinker they are, often with disastrous consequences, for themselves and for others. A good drinker will go out, have a few drinks, enjoy them, have a good night, get safely home and wake up the next morning knowing how they got home and remembering all the fun they had the night before. If you drink to get drunk or prove you can drink more than someone else, you should not be drinking. Drink is great, if you know how to use it. Drinking to get drunk or to outdo someone else is like getting into a car and hoping to crash. Go out and drink properly and you'll get far more enjoyment out of it. Cheers!

I agree totally with you and rather drink to enjoy than drink to get drunk - but I think we all go through the drink to get drunk phase before we cop on and realise its much better to be merry and remember the brilliant night you had rather than ask your mate the next day "how did we get home?" ;)

As for the women drinking more than men - as already has been pointed out its just too general - it depends on the height, weight of a person, if they have eaten, do they mix drinks, were they tired etc. etc. Myself I'm a lightweight and has to pace myself but my cousin could drink bottles and bottles of bulmers and she'd be only tipsy and if I drank the same I would be getting pumped out!

Advertisement