Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless prob

• 11-10-2004 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hi looking for some info on wireless network set up i have a network set up but my pc has to be on for laptop to connect what hardware do i need to get to be able to use laptop without haing to have desktop on
    try not to be to technical in anwers cos im thick lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 phlebas

I'm guessing if the desktop has to be on you're using peer to peer, it just means the laptops got a wireless card which is connecting to another card in the desktop to share its net. Does the desktop access the net from a wireless box or through a cable?

If it's a cable you'll need an access point, a standalone box with an antenae to transmit the wireless signal into which you'd stick the cable going into the desktop. If the desktop is connecting wirelessly then i'd imagine you could get the laptop to connect to the same source by changing it from peer to peer (a card inside a machine connecting to another machines card) to infrastructure (a standalone access point).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 bridigo

If you have a ethernet modem - you need a wireless router.
    If you have a ethernet modem router - you need a wireless access point.
    If you just have a USB modem - you would be best getting a combined modem+router+access point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 themachman2001

guys thanx yeah its a peer to peer im guessing theres a card in pc and card in laptop and an isdn adaptor that plugs in back of back of pc with the phone cable leading from that to isdn wall unit ,so wheres best place to get an infrastructure type adaptor and what am i asking for exactly
    cheers
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 phlebas

I could be wrong here as i've never really used isdn in any capacity but I think what you need is a either an isdn router with a wireless access point connected to it, or if you can find it a wireless isdn router (something like this http://www.sercomm.com/IR706H.htm ), which you'll plug the isdn line going to the desktop into and connect to with the wireless cards on both machines.

Advertisement