Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst irish website (retailer)

• 11-10-2004 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Why has ireland got the mankiest websites for shops in the world?

they are shocking buy4now etc:

Here are some of the worst websites i have the misfortune to use , IT capital of the world me arse.
    http://www.eurocycles.com/ OH sweet god.
    http://www.toys.ie/ Even worse
    www.atlantic.ie we stock 4 items
    www.buy4now.ie updated 1999

Anyone know any worse?

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Nothing much wrong with them as far as I can see...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Brown thomas don't even have one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

moan moan moan is all people do on this afterhours board ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Divine

You think they are bad, check this out. A philiosophy students admitted version of craigslist.

www.everything.ie

P.S. my website is signiture is top class :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

haha thought that last url you posted there said "methadome.comirish_shop.htm"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I worked for WorldPay for two years in Cambridge. Part of my job was debugging sites connecting to the payment pages.
    All of the above are works of Electronic Art compared to some of the tripe I came across.
    Oh my god there are some bad ones. And these people think they are going to sell a packet load of stuff on a site that looks like the back end of a crashed bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Right on the front page of that shop-in-ireland.net website, I noticed this:

"Irish Smoked Salmon is renowned the world over for its quality. This, and another famous Irish dish, Haggis is to be found in our Food Section."

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I was led to believe that Haggis was famous as being a Scottish dish. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yup!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well.. technically the scots originated in Ireland iirc.

sooo....

the websites just plain wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

can we see an example of your web design work KdjaC ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

http://www.kbannon.com

These guys actually offer web design, and this is their own banner:

banner_yell_1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you want horribly cut pictures and lettering check out
    http://www.powercity.ie

at least now they put the prices up of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

do YOU make website KdjaC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I'll tell you one Irish site that's really annoying me at the moment.
    http://www.marksmodels.com/

When you click on "enter" a javascript window pops up which you can't resize and
    when the page does eventually load, you can't scroll through all the menus.

Unuseable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

can we see an example of your web design work KdjaC ?

I think it's well within someone's rights to comment on the usability and even aesthetics of a web site, purely from the point of view of a visitor to that site, without having to prove that he or she can do better.

I consider myself, and any other person without a degree in automotive design, entitled to say that the BMW 1 series is an unattractive car if that's what I think, without having to display evidence of my ability to do better.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

impr0v wrote:
    I think it's well within someone's rights to comment on the usability and even aesthetics of a web site, purely from the point of view of a visitor to that site, without having to prove that he or she can do better.

I consider myself, and any other person without a degree in automotive design, entitled to say that the BMW 1 series is an unattractive car if that's what I think, without having to display evidence of my ability to do better.
    Correctomundo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

If a person who can design websites is the only person who can comment on them, there wouldn't be much point in designing them in the first place.

impr0v wrote:
    without having to prove that he or she can do better.

I didnt ask him to prove anything. Im purely interested to see his own webdesign work, if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I didnt ask him to prove anything. Im purely interested to see his own webdesign work, if any.

I must have read between the wrong lines then.

• Advertisement

Dont worry about it - I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have never made a retail website but worked on www.modtheater.com

If i did make one it wouild have 1) stock 2) prices of said stock 3) pictures of stock

That cant be hard?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

All of the irish shopping websites are crap.Some people that do know some stuff about web design should go and set up a proper irish shopping site such as something similar to amazon!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

rubadub wrote:
    If you want horribly cut pictures and lettering check out
    http://www.powercity.ie

at least now they put the prices up of stuff

You didn't mention the ghastly yellow background.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

smccarrick wrote:
    You didn't mention the ghastly yellow background.....
    Its amazing how so many web designers get the most basic things wrong.
    It doesn't matter how cool you think you make it look, if it makes the general public's eyes bleed then it doesn't work as a website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

www.buyandsell.ie

Not strictly a retail site but I think it warrants a worthy mention for it's pure buggy appalling outdated style! Urgh. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

www.bikeworld.ie - utterly manky. looks like it was designed by a 12 year old. You know, it probably was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭X-Dawg

http://www.winwrestling.com

I think we have a winner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement