Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Phone Line Question

Options
  • 11-10-2004 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I've just moved into a flat in Dublin (having relocated from the UK), and am
    trying to get the phone line activated. The block of flats is quite new (I'd say < 5 years), and my flat already has an Eircom phone socket.

I phoned up Eircom, and was advised that I'd have to pay €129 for an engineer to come out and re-enable the line, and that this would take 10 working days (at least). Obviously, I queried this, as presumably there was a phone line before, and it should just be a matter of switching it on again (for which they charge c. €25). However, there was no way I could talk them into trying to enable it remotely.

Can some telecoms savvy people explain to me what exactly the Eircom engineer is going to do, and why it is necessary ? Is there is a genuine technical reason for this ?

Also, has anyone any experience of using an alternative provider to get the line enabled ? Is it possible, given that LLU doesn't yet exist ?

thanks,

journeyman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

thats eircoN for you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

I think you’re right, you should only be paying €25 for a re-connection.

Call into Eircom, and log a complaint. That way a manager calls you back. Eircom’s front-line customer support are absolutely useless, don’t even bother to talk to them. Once you log a complaint, they are compelled (ComReg) to have it escalated to a Complaints Manager. Any experience I’ve had with a complaints manager has actually been quite good. Always friendly and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

journeyman wrote:
    I've just moved into a flat in Dublin (having relocated from the UK), and am
    trying to get the phone line activated. The block of flats is quite new (I'd say < 5 years), and my flat already has an Eircom phone socket.

I phoned up Eircom, and was advised that I'd have to pay €129 for an engineer to come out and re-enable the line, and that this would take 10 working days (at least). Obviously, I queried this, as presumably there was a phone line before, and it should just be a matter of switching it on again (for which they charge c. €25). However, there was no way I could talk them into trying to enable it remotely.

Can some telecoms savvy people explain to me what exactly the Eircom engineer is going to do, and why it is necessary ? Is there is a genuine technical reason for this ?

Also, has anyone any experience of using an alternative provider to get the line enabled ? Is it possible, given that LLU doesn't yet exist ?

thanks,

journeyman

They always say that.. every time when i moved house/apartment which has been alot in the last 3 years. they try that and i always end up paying, never really argue with them especially when i moved back home and i wanted to be reconnected although it was in my name this time as opposed to my mother the previous they still charged me the 129e plus the vat. Even though it was only a few months from when the last line was cancelled, they rekon an engineer has to be sent out. i'm sure they do this to everyone all over the country and make a pretty penny too.

Advertisement