Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer at Croke Park

• 11-10-2004 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Yes its another soccer at Croke Park thread:). This time Today FM are launching a campaign to try and lobby the GAA to open up Croke Park for the game against France and maybe Switzerland.

The GAA president said he would look favourable on the issue now that the government has handed over the €40 million.

Today FM said send a email to lastwordcroker@todayfm.com if you want to lend your support to the campaign. Or copy and paste this. Save you typing !!

Dear Sir/Madam.

I would like to lend my support to the opening up of Croke Park to international soccer matches. This email is to lend my support to Today FM's campaign

Regards etc,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Wouldn't they be better off trying to get it opened for the next set of qualifiers when we'll have no stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

they said on the show, once it gets opened for one game then there shouldnt be a problem for subsequent games.

The France and Swiss games are going to be the selling point to the GAA. I.E that the GAA will be helping out the soccer side and the country for these two big games and significantly increase our chances of winning ( saturday night support being an example of good support).

The only draw back is that the GAA is going to take MOST of the profits, the FAI could only get something like 10 to 30% of the revenue. It also said that Croke Park is wired out for the most high powered up to date flood lighting but that would have to be installed and paid for (by someone) before the game can go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I dont belive we should be pushing the GAA to open Croke Park with sending them loads of e-mails. The GAA have the money they wanted and everyone in the GAA knows Croke Park is going to be open sooner or later. Lets see how it goings at the next congrass meeting and if they vote to open Croker then I would expect the French/Swiss game at Croke Park. Then I would like to see Soccer and Rugby in Croke Park just until Lansdowne is finshed and we wont have to bother the GAA ever again........Unless we want to co-host a tourament or there is a big demand for tickets for a important match.lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

It'd be magic to have 75,000 Irish Fans supporting the team like we did in Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

they said on the show, once it gets opened for one game then there shouldnt be a problem for subsequent games.
    And 'they' can come to this conclusion how? :rolleyes:
    The France and Swiss games are going to be the selling point to the GAA. I.E that the GAA will be helping out the soccer side and the country for these two big games and significantly increase our chances of winning ( saturday night support being an example of good support).
    That makes no sense. Lansdowne has often had virtually no atmosphere for a lot of games. What makes you think having 75k people there is going to generate any more atmosphere than having 35k (or whatever) in Lnasdowne?
    The only draw back is that the GAA is going to take MOST of the profits, the FAI could only get something like 10 to 30% of the revenue.
    Why is it a drawback? I thought it would be great to have 75k cheering on the team! I'd also like to suggest what you imply may be profits may be costs associated with staging a game there and a rent charged by the owners of the stadium, neither of which can really be described as profit.
    It also said that Croke Park is wired out for the most high powered up to date flood lighting but that would have to be installed and paid for (by someone) before the game can go ahead.
    Looks like no game there then, seeing as the FAI have fück all money and the GAA don't need floodlights. 'They' really seemed to know what they were talking about if your report is to be believed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

it wouldnt be 75000 anyway as they wouldnt be able to use the hill for soccer matches

I dont belive we should be pushing the GAA to open Croke Park with sending them loads of e-mails.

The emails are to Today FM. They are doing the lobbying.
    nd 'they' can come to this conclusion how?

Thats what the GAA analyser dude said on the radio. The first main sticking point was the governments relucents to not hand over the €40million. The GAA said it would look at the topic after that was dealt with.
    That makes no sense. Lansdowne has often had virtually no atmosphere for a lot of games. What makes you think having 75k people there is going to generate any more atmosphere than having 35k (or whatever) in Lnasdowne?

Is that a piss take ? Double amount of fans so it wont make any difference? One of the main reasons to open up Croker is that more people can go and see Ireland play. This is doubling capacity without even getting temporary seating.
    Looks like no game there then, seeing as the FAI have fück all money and the GAA don't need floodlights.

Croker is set up for Flood lighting and its only a minor problem. I have to say your being extremely negative. Its only a few million for Flood lighting, the government would even put up the cash for that or it could be generated from gate receipts ;)

daveirl wrote:
    Yes but if you read what thejollyrodger posted I read it as "Well if they get in for one, then we can basically play there whenever we want". If the rule is changed and other sports are allowed in Croker it will be at the descretion of a commitee of the GAA and not the media or the soccer supporters of Ireland, who can play and when these sports can be played.

• Advertisement

Well if they get in for one, then we can basically play there whenever we want

If the GAA lets in soccer, like the Ireland vs France they will have to drop the rule banning "foreign games" from Croke Park. Once they do drop the rule there is nothing to stop soccer being played there in the future.

After that it will depend on if GAA matches are being played and there is a big enough crowd to pay for running costs of the stadium etc.

Is that a piss take ? Double amount of fans so it wont make any difference? One of the main reasons to open up Croker is that more people can go and see Ireland play. This is doubling capacity without even getting temporary seating.
    No it's not a piss take. There was a thread on these very boards and there have been articles in the media about the lack of atmosphere that exists (or more precisely doesn't exist) in Lansdowne for Irish soccer internationals. My point was that having 35k with no atmosphere would not be much different to having 75 with no atmosphere. Lansdowne would also have the advantage of having all 4 sides of the pitch to generate an atmosphere, croker wouldn't.
    Croker is set up for Flood lighting and its only a minor problem. I have to say your being extremely negative. Its only a few million for Flood lighting, the government would even put up the cash for that or it could be generated from gate receipts ;)
    I never knew it was set up for floodlighting but i'll take your word for it. As for paying for it, it would be a waste of money. The FAI (with the IRFU) are building there own stadium so Croker would be a very temporary thing for them, if they were allowed to play there. The GAA don't and probably never will need floodlighting in Croker. So to say that it wouldn't cost much is ridiculous as we're talking about a handful of matches some of which won't even fill or come anywhere near filling the stadium. It simply would not make economic sense.

I personally think Croke Park will be opened up by next April.
    I think they will install flood lights too and I also belive that the FAI IRFU will contiune to use Croke Park post 2008 if it is still available due to increased capacity.

If the GAA lets in soccer, like the Ireland vs France they will have to drop the rule banning "foreign games" from Croke Park. Once they do drop the rule there is nothing to stop soccer being played there in the future.

After that it will depend on if GAA matches are being played and there is a big enough crowd to pay for running costs of the stadium etc.
    Did you read my full post about this and not just the first sentence?

For example, do you think a GAA commitee would allow Ireland to play against the Faroes on Wednesday seeing as they're using the stadium for the next 2 weekends for the compromise rules? Do you think the residents would be happy with even more fixtures, especially midweek fixtures, in the stadium?

No there is no chance of Ireland playing in Croke Park tomorrow. The next time this subject will come up for debaet in GAA circles in next April. Its only the big games like France Switzerland and maybe Israel that the GAA and FAI would want to use it for.

The €40 million grant has the monkey off the GAA's back and they can now properly look at opening the stadium up.

The residents are never going to be happy if there is a game on, no matter who is playing. But its a national event so they are going to have to live with it.

Croker is far superior than landsodwne road in every aspect. Its one of the top 3 stadiums in Europe. The fellas from Arsenal who are building Ash Burton Grove came over especially to see it.

Its in the GAA's intrest to open it up anyway, more revenue to finish it off with a roof, flood lighting and possibly a seating terrace above hill 16. The roof and lightening are planned for the future btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

...... Its one of the top 3 stadiums in Europe....

What are the other top stadiums? :D

I can think of a few that are as good....suppose it all depends on what you mean by "top"?

No there is no chance of Ireland playing in Croke Park tomorrow.
    That was an example to show that it is not always going to be possible to play there, even if the rule was changed, due to clashes of fixtures. :rolleyes:
    The next time this subject will come up for debaet in GAA circles in next April. Its only the big games like France Switzerland and maybe Israel that the GAA and FAI would want to use it for.
    Where would they play games against the others if Lansdowne is not available? If they do rebuild Lansdowne, why spend so much money on it only to play all your big games somewhere else? (I don't think this would happen as I don't think the FAI are that stupid and also the GAA are unlikely imo to do a long term deal with any sport unless serious inroads are made with the current difficulties with hosting matches in Croker. But you made the point so an answer would be amusing at least.)
    The €40 million grant has the monkey off the GAA's back and they can now properly look at opening the stadium up.
    What? Can you explain what monkey was on their back and why it means they can now open up the stadium?
    The residents are never going to be happy if there is a game on, no matter who is playing. But its a national event so they are going to have to live with it.
    So using similar logic, you'd have no problem with a landfill site next door to where you live?
    Croker is far superior than landsodwne road in every aspect. Its one of the top 3 stadiums in Europe. The fellas from Arsenal who are building Ash Burton Grove came over especially to see it.
    Is there a point to this comment, in relation to this thread? We all know it's a fantastic stadium.
    Its in the GAA's intrest to open it up anyway, more revenue to finish it off with a roof, flood lighting and possibly a seating terrace above hill 16. The roof and lightening are planned for the future btw.
    More revenue is in the GAA's best interest. Opening it up may or may not be. There is a difference. Any links to this proposed roof and/or floodlighting as i've not heard anyone in the GAA mentioning it? I can't see why they'd need floodlighting or a roof either.

Hopefully the lightening will stay away though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Yes its another soccer at Croke Park thread:). This time Today FM are launching a campaign to try and lobby the GAA to open up Croke Park for the game against France and maybe Switzerland.
    Dear Sir/Madam.,

This would be a disaster for soccer.
    Regular match goers will know the track record of the FAI.
    If its possible to do nothing lets do nothing.
    Best to concentrate on getting Lansdowne started & somewhere like Croker to play in this rebuilding period.
    If soccer is played at Croker before this have no doubt that the new health minister Mary Harney will grab the cash for the black hole otherwise called the health service. Great vote winner & all that.
    Matt Cooper should stick to presenting radio programmes on TodayFm instead os nosing around in half baked plans to win the popular & uneducated to the ways of politics vote.

that was an example to show that it is not always going to be possible to play there, even if the rule was changed, due to clashes of fixtures.

Why didnt you just say that ?

Where would they play games against the others if Lansdowne is not available?

Well if they dont open Croker then it looks like its the boat over to Ingerland:(. Or maybe we can ask the French and use the magnificant Stade de France for our home games. Expensive stuff.

The monkey on the back was the fact that the GAA didnt get the €40 million. The GAA couldnt go asking for it before it would discuss rule 42 because everyone would have called them al the names of the day.

Im not going to answer some of that other stuff....

When RTE done a show on the GAA development of Croker the GAA man said eventually the would put a roof and lightening but they said it was a number of years away. that would really add to the atmosphere.

Why didnt you just say that ?
    I thought the for example bit might have given it away, but obviously I was wrong! :rolleyes:
    me wrote:
    Where would they play games against the others if Lansdowne is not available?
    Note the highlighted word. Now go back and read what I said and answer what I asked.
    The monkey on the back was the fact that the GAA didnt get the €40 million. The GAA couldnt go asking for it before it would discuss rule 42 because everyone would have called them al the names of the day.
    The government promised the 40m, the GAA would be greatful for it but I don't see it changing very much. It was always on the cards that the Croker issue is going to a vote at the next congress.
    When RTE done a show on the GAA development of Croker the GAA man said eventually the would put a roof and lightening but they said it was a number of years away. that would really add to the atmosphere.
    Is that lightening stuff expensive? ;)
    Seriously though a roof on a stadium with only 3 sides would be a bit silly. Perhaps coming to an agreement with CIE and finishing the hill would be a better idea.

• Advertisement

obviously I was wrong
    I concur :P

I also agree with you that they should finish hill 16 if that if possible. I hope they can just stick a top terrrace on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

'Well if they dont open Croker then it looks like its the boat over to Ingerland. Or maybe we can ask the French and use the magnificant Stade de France for our home games. Expensive stuff.' .

Have you forgotten the Millenium stadium ? , there are always looking for more games to be played there , its closer than England , and I beleive they have already contacted the FAI about the possibility of using it .

and despite most internationel qualifyers(in the same continent) taking place on the same day , FIFA and Uefa do allow teams to play on dates close to the ones origionally scheduled .

your right big ears, the M stadium is very close. The nearest city to Dublin is Liverpool !!! Who would have thought that. The atmosphere would be better there anyway. No corporate seats or 90 minutes of silence.

Anyway, féck the GAA if they are still stuck in a time warp, its their loss.

The GAA are always bragging how great the stadium is , i think it looks naff with one end missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Why not just abandon lansdowne altogether, and develop croke park into stadium Ireland, and lash on the floodlights etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Healio wrote:
    Why not just abandon lansdowne altogether, and develop croke park into stadium Ireland, and lash on the floodlights etc.

residents/fixture clashes/people in the GAA who have a disliking to foreign sports , theres more too im just too lazy to list them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A quick question on the "foreign games" rule. Am I wrong in saying that there was an american football game on there a couple of years ago. I would see american football as a far more foreign game than football.

Rule 42 wrote:
    Rule 42: Uses of Property
    (a) All property including grounds, Club Houses, Halls, Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or controlled by units of the Association shall be used only for the purpose of or in connection with the playing of the Games controlled by the Association, and for such other purposes not in conflict with the Aims and Objects of the Association, that may be sanctioned from time to time by the Central Council.

(b) Grounds controlled by Association units shall not be used or permitted to be used, for Horse Racing, Greyhound Racing, or for Field Games other than those sanctioned by Central Council.
    As can be seen from the rule above (especially the bit I highlighted), the rule does not specifically refer to 'foreign games'. Soccer and rugby were deemed (back in the day) to be in competition with, and harmful to, the aims of the association which was to promote the irish language and culture. The structure of the GAA and the number of traditionalists that make it to the decision making levels has ensured that this rule stays in place even though most of it's members would probably see no place for it at the current time.

That is not to say that to say that the GAA (or more specifically it's clubs and members) wouldn't be in control of what happens at their various venues and facilities around the country, it's just that at the moment with this rule in place, they don't have a choice in the matter.

So to answer the previous question, the Central Council must have made the decision that a once-off American Football game was not a threat to the organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Big Ears wrote:
    In the Millenium stadium ? , there are always looking for more games to be played there , its closer than England , and I beleive they have already contacted the FAI about the possibility of using it .

and despite most internationel qualifyers(in the same continent) taking place on the same day , FIFA and Uefa do allow teams to play on dates close to the ones origionally scheduled .

I'd imagine the FAI would plump for Liverpool or Manchester over Cardiff. Both are much easier to get to with BMI, Aerlingus and Ryanair flying into Manchester and Ryanair flying into Liverpool and the ferry link there too.

Cardiff may be geographically close but it can be quite difficult to get to compared to the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just on the note of the residents complaining about too many fixtures being held at Croke Park to allow a Soccer match being held there. I reckon that wouldn't be a problem when you think of the concerts and GAA replays (quite often with a half empty stadium) that are held there every year it wouldn't be a problem to cancel one or two of these to allow a Soccer match or two to be played.

At the end of the day, if the GAA wants a Soccer match to be played at Croke Park well then it will be played, but for people to keep coming up with excuses as to why it wouldn't be feasible to play a match there is just silly and it is only a smokescreen to cover up the underlying issue that the GAA just don't want Soccer matches to be played there, which is a stance that they are perfectly entitled to have.

And the pro-Soccer-in-Croke-Park brigade must also realise that the FAI have not officially approached the GAA over this issue, so at the moment the ball (no pun intended!) is in the FAI's court!!

B.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Just on the note of the residents complaining about too many fixtures being held at Croke Park to allow a Soccer match being held there. I reckon that wouldn't be a problem when you think of the concerts and GAA replays (quite often with a half empty stadium) that are held there every year it wouldn't be a problem to cancel one or two of these to allow a Soccer match or two to be played.
    Whatever about the concerts, but do you really think that it would make sense for the GAA to not play a GAA game there in favour of a soccer match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

So it's ok for the Aussie rules players to play there...is Australia not under English Monarch??
    Is this not what the biggots argue....no English games?.
    i would like this answered by someone who is for keeping the rule

egan007 wrote:
    So it's ok for the Aussie rules players to play there...is Australia not under English Monarch??
    Is this not what the biggots argue....no English games?.
    i would like this answered by someone who is for keeping the rule
    I am not for keeping the rule but read my post about 5 posts back. It is not english (or foreign even) games that the rule specifies as the problem. Having an international outlet is obviously in the best interests of Gaelic Football so your question makes very little sense.

wrote:
    So you are saying that the only reason Soccer or Rugby are not played it to protect GAA?

egan007 wrote:
    So you are saying that the only reason Soccer or Rugby are not played it to protect GAA?

That is what I am saying.

I can't see how lending a stadium to a sport for a few games while it's own is being redeveloped is a threat to the GAA.
    Also on my last point - the one i made about the biggotted view
    Whether it is in the wording of Rule 42 or not
    Many supporters of keeping crokepark closed hold the view that they don't want English games there. They openly admit. They use Rule 42 as a means to justify this view.

• Advertisement

Imposter wrote:
    Whatever about the concerts, but do you really think that it would make sense for the GAA to not play a GAA game there in favour of a soccer match?

It's does financially if it's going to be half empty (or half full if you're an optimist) when they hold a pointless replay there.

But as I've already said, if the GAA want to hold a soccer match in Croke park they could quite easily do it inspite of all the excuses, however, they don't have to if they don't want to.

B.

egan007 wrote:
    I can't see how lending a stadium to a sport for a few games while it's own is being redeveloped is a thread to GAA.
    Also on my last point - the one i made about the biggotted view
    Whether it is in the wording of Rule 42 or not
    Many supporters of keeping crokepark closed hold the view that they don't want English games there. They openly admit. They use Rule 42 as a means to justify this view.
    I agree it's not a threat to the GAA but if you judge the FAI by their past actions do you think they will put their money into the Lansdowne project if they got permission today to play in Croker? Also if you look at some of the opinions of soccer supporters, on this forum for example, you will see that they would not be happy with just playing the matches until Lansdowne is redeveloped but would like ot play whenever they feel like forever and a day! That's the bit I have a problem with.

As for the rule 42 bit, you are right, there are some with such an opinion but I give them as much time of day as the soccer supporters who seem to have an inbred hatred of the GAA and cannot even agree that Croke Park belongs to the GAA as well as other opinions they hold which are anti-GAA and totally false, you know bigots.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    It's does financially if it's going to be half empty (or half full if you're an optimist) when they hold a pointless replay there.

But as I've already said, if the GAA want to hold a soccer match in Croke park they could quite easily do it inspite of all the excuses, however, they don't have to if they don't want to.
    Financial reasons are no reason not to play a GAA match in Croker, provided a loss is not made on the game (and in some instances, such as the club championships, even if a loss is made).

As for your assumption that replays are pointless I don't think you'll find any sensible person agreeing with you. Maybe deciding the match on the day (ie extra time, but then what if that's level), would be an idea, but a replay is far from pointless.

[Edit] Changed some wording, to make what I was saying a bit clearer, to me at least!

By pointless I mean, what's the point in dragging a load of people up to Dublin to half fill a Stadium when it could quite easily be played closer to the Counties of the team's invlolved.

And again I'll say it's up to the GAA to do whatever they want with their Stadium but when people use silly excuses it just annoys me.

I agree it's not a threat to the GAA but if you judge the FAI by their past actions do you think they will put their money into the Lansdowne project if they got permission today to play in Croker? Also if you look at some of the opinions of soccer supporters, on this thread for example, you will see that they would not be happy with just playing the matches until Lansdowne is redeveloped but would like ot play whenever they feel like forever and a day!

The simple solution is to make croker available ONLY when lansdowne road is not available. This way everyone is happy. I'm 100% sure the FAI want somewhere to call home and I'm sure it's not Croker. Of course they will put money into Landdowne road even if they get to play in croker i think this views holds little water - afterall they originally wanted to build therie own b4 the lansdowne suggestion
    you know biggots
    indeed i do and there is no place of any on 'either side' I support both. That probably makes me some kind of Super Irish man who has the ability to support more than one sport.

BaZmO* wrote:
    By pointless I mean, what's the point in dragging a load of people up to Dublin to half fill a Stadium when it could quite easily be played closer to the Counties of the team's invlolved.
    Can you give me an example? Most of the time they have a fair idea of how many will turn up and have stands closed off or whatever so that operating costs can be minimised.

• Advertisement

Imposter wrote:
    Can you give me an example? Most of the time they have a fair idea of how many will turn up and *have stands closed off* or whatever so that operating costs can be minimised.

There's your answer.

BaZmO* wrote:
    There's your answer.
    But that rarely happens and it is usually a chamionship game. It won't change my view that if even one GAA fixture that would normally have been played there, has to be switched so as to play a Soccer, Rugby or whatever game in Croke Park then it is not worth it.

Martin Breheny's view on the matter, coming from the money side of things. (Registration required but it's free)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Imposter wrote:
    I agree it's not a threat to the GAA but if you judge the FAI by their past actions do you think they will put their money into the Lansdowne project if they got permission today to play in Croker? Also if you look at some of the opinions of soccer supporters, on this forum for example, you will see that they would not be happy with just playing the matches until Lansdowne is redeveloped but would like ot play whenever they feel like forever and a day! That's the bit I have a problem with.

As a supporter of the GAA & soccer I have a problem with this also.
    Will be at the FAI cup final sunday week. Lansdowne is a kip & croker is way too big. Soccer needs an Eircom park size stadium & as Imposter says the FAI will do nowt if they get in now.

Personally I think the country needs a new 30,000 seater in the Munster region. It should be open to all sports, soccer, football, Hurley, E.L matches. Either Cork or Limerick, Cork would be better.

Landsdowne road once developed will be 50/55,000 seater and again will be open to all sports mentioned above.

The real problem is the big internationals, and there is no where else but Croker. Croke Park should be opened for the good of the GAA, i.e extra revenue and put the negative past of hatred behind. But thats a matter for the GAA to decide. It would be great to see Ireland beating France and Switzerland there.

The fixtures could be worked around.

Personally I think the country needs a new 30,000 seater in the Munster region. It should be open to all sports, soccer, football, Hurley, E.L matches. Either Cork or Limerick, Cork would be better.
    Irish Rugby needs a 30k stadium in Munster. Soccer does not and the GAA have 3 (although one or possibly 2 could do with some work on them).
    Landsdowne road once developed will be 50/55,000 seater and again will be open to all sports mentioned above.

The real problem is the big internationals, and there is no where else but Croker. Croke Park should be opened for the good of the GAA, i.e extra revenue and put the negative past of hatred behind. But thats a matter for the GAA to decide. It would be great to see Ireland beating France and Switzerland there.
    Most countries have no problem with playing in 50k stadiums. The Irish public do turn out in great numbers to all sorts of events, especially sports events, but what happens when 80k is not enough? The simple fact is that for every big event worldwide there is simply not enough tickets.

Most people here seem to be suggesting that it would be a financial win-win situation for both the FAI and the GAA by holding games in Croker. I don't neccesarily agree. While the GAA are holding all the aces at the moment, I think the FAI and the IRFU can earn more by playing in the smaller new Landowne stadium.

Between them the FAI and the IRFU have to decide how big of a stadium they can afford to build and run with that. If that decision is made correctly (the running costs bit in particular) then they should stand to make more money from playing in their own stadium than moving into a rented stadium for a handful of games.

I think Munster needs a 30k stadium, not only for rugby but for other sports. The stadia the GAA have are not up to any kind of international standard and no one can play on them anyway.

Eircom League clubs have no decent sized stadiums that they can hold their European games.

Munster rubgy have to go to Dublin to avail of a bigger capacity ground.

There is the option of holding international events like the socer Euro finals if we had a stadium down in cork say.

If there was one decent stadium all of the different codes could be held in one ground.

The GAA dont have to open Croker. Liverpool is only a short distance away and there is plenty of support there. Ireland away games have better atmosphere than home games so we arent loosing out that much. If the GAA had their head screwed on then they would realise that they are loosing out finanically. Maybe its all a big racket for nothing.

I think Munster needs a 30k stadium, not only for rugby but for other sports. The stadia the GAA have are not up to any kind of international standard and no one can play on them anyway.
    GAA doesn't have an international outlet except for the compromise rules (and shinty but that's not so popular with players or fans). So why would it need a stadium at international standard? I don't doubt that stadia could be better but it comes down to not requiring it, in the case of the GAA.
    Eircom League clubs have no decent sized stadiums that they can hold their European games.
    Building a stadium for 1 or 2 games a year is madness. If an eircom league team could get enough people in to make enough money every week then fine a stadium is justified. I don't think that's realistic though. Groundsharing is not really an option either as Limerick, Cork and Cobh (or 2 of) could not be accomodated in one stadium successfully imo.
    Munster rubgy have to go to Dublin to avail of a bigger capacity ground.
    This is the only real use for such a stadium.
    There is the option of holding international events like the socer Euro finals if we had a stadium down in cork say.
    Highly unlikely no matter what stadium we have. We need a decent infrastructure, a professional league and stadiums that are actually used for soccer before anyone would look sideways at such a bid. As for hosting with scotland they have the problem of 3 stadiums in one city as we would (with 2) if croker and lansdowne were available. Then you have the croker issue with the GAA using it predominantly when such championships are on.

I dont want to start drifting on to the need for a 30k seater stadium in Cork, its meant to be about Croker. Anyway,

The reason they need to be international standard is to to be able to play international games like soccer there. But thats not going to happen with the smaller GAA stadia anyway.

Munster firstly needs a stadium to play its rugby. That alone should be a reason to build it. They have enough games in the year and the Euro games as well.

Cork F.C should share the stadium with Munster and its something that a club needs in order to develop. The added advantage is that E.L clubs can play in a ground that meets UEFA regulations on seating, television facilites, lighting etc for UEFA Cup and Champions league.

Ireland and Scotland could have probably hosted the Euro 2008 if there was a stadium in Cork. It is after all European Capital of Culture 2005. Who can beat that? There will be decent enough infastructure by 2008.

If the government went ahead with the stadium it would have lots of revenue from tourism and promote the country.

The E.L needs development but is no way a requirement to hold the European Championships. Remember Ireland and Scotland were only a few technical points short on winning the bid ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Imposter wrote:

Building a stadium for 1 or 2 games a year is madness.

And how often do the gaa heads fill Croker? At most 8 times a year. Unless they let foreign musicians or worse still foreign sports (American Football, Compromise Rules) be played there. Sure they even resort to these suspicious replays to get the stadiums filled.

• Advertisement
Advertisement