Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer at Croke Park

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Cork F.C should share the stadium with Munster and its something that a club needs in order to develop. The added advantage is that E.L clubs can play in a ground that meets UEFA regulations on seating, television facilites, lighting etc for UEFA Cup and Champions league.
    I presume you mean Cork City? If so how many do they get at matches at the moment? Would it make sense to go to the expense of building such a stadium (ok rugby and possibly government could be involved in funding here too), and also does each home game generate enough income to pay wages, pay the costs of hosting the match and also pay the mortgage such a stadium would need? I reckon it's highly unlikely.
    Ireland and Scotland could have probably hosted the Euro 2008 if there was a stadium in Cork. It is after all European Capital of Culture 2005. Who can beat that?
    They had no guarantee of having any stadium in Ireland. As for the capital of culture well Glasgow had this honour as well, as had Graz. Afaik it rotates through each country every few years. It's not exactly hard to get.
    If the government went ahead with the stadium it would have lots of revenue from tourism and promote the country.
    Ya wha? Can you explain that please.
    The E.L needs development but is no way a requirement to hold the European Championships. Remember Ireland and Scotland were only a few technical points short on winning the bid ;)
    A requirement to host the World Cup now is that a country must have a professional league. It's only a matter of time before UEFA follow suit. Same goes for only having one country hosting the competition. I notice you ignored the infrastructure part of that too.
    Draupnir wrote:
    And how often do the gaa heads fill Croker? At most 8 times a year. Unless they let foreign musicians or worse still foreign sports (American Football, Compromise Rules) be played there. Sure they even resort to these suspicious replays to get the stadiums filled.
    If you mean how many times is it say more than 80% full, i'd say about 12-15 times this year. Over 90% full probably about 5 or 6 times. Making a loss by opening it, maybe once or twice at most. And that's GAA activities i'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

What I am saying is build a 30k stadium in Cork primarly for Munster rugby. They are the ones that would fill it regularlly. In addition to Munster using it, Cork City F.C should avail of the facilities and make it its home ground.

The costs of running a 30k stadium are a far cry from 80k Croke Park. Cork F.C may have some problems but i dont really know the exact figures. Both Munster and Cork F.C could work something out by selling their old grounds.

Im not saying that Cork F.C will fill 1/3 of it but the extra capacity is there for future European games, cup finals etc.

Getting the Euro Finals would be nearly be enough to justify building such a stadium. The amount of fans that would come to stay the few weeks in ireland would add milions to the economy. The advertisment value also would be massive. The Euro finals are watched by millions all over the world !!

This is the Euro Finals not the World Cup, there is a big difference. UEFA have no plans to change any of the criteria (since they are having problems finding suitable countries to host it) so dont start making anything up!

Getting European capital of culture is not a peice of piss, liverpool have been struggling at it for a while and (holes like) the likes of Belfast are not even at the races.

Well they should have most of the motorway finished by 2009 to Cork if thats what you mean. By 2012 there would be a massive transformation in the countries infastructure. By 2008 things should be decent enough. Ever visit Portugal or Greece :P

As for opening up Croke Park, there is probably too much history in that place, better off getting the ferry to scouserland and andfield. Less hassle and probably cheaper for the FAI.

Ive got a great chant for the first game over there, lame as it might be

"....you can go and stick your Croker up your ass,,, you can go and stick your Croker up your ass, go and stick your Croker, go and stick your Croker, go and stick your Croker up your ass "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

"....you can go and stick your Croker up your ass,,, you can go and stick your Croker up your ass, go and stick your Croker, go and stick your Croker, go and stick your Croker up your ass "

Thats the worst chant ive ever heard .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Big Ears wrote:
    Thats the worst chant ive ever heard .
    You hardly expected it to be profound and/or inspiring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I did say it was lame but you really do get sick to the back teeth of GAA people with their beloved Croke Park.

Advertisement