Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Coverage Map for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Great map, Eircomtribunal. Now all I need is a map of exchanges that eircom have planned to enable soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where is the list of exchanges?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Resources section, top of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Handy stats from www.cso.ie
    Number in	Private 		People
    household	Households

1		 277,573 		 277,573 
    2		 333,700 		 667,400 
    3		 227,768 		 683,304 
    4		 223,238 		 892,952 
    5		 134,901 		 674,505 
    6		 59,880 		 359,280 
    7		 19,090 		 133,630 
    8		 7,129 		 57,032 
    9		 2,745 		 24,705 
    10		 1,934 		 20,935 
    Total		 1,287,958 	 3,791,316

Note. The census counted about 3.9m people - this included people who were not part of a priavte household on that particular night, including people at work, in hotels, tourists, institutions, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

I've put the original photoshop file of the map onto the server. You can download it and have fun, trying out different colours, adding in all the other dsl enabled exchanges.
    For showing I'd propose to save the file "save for web" as a good quality jpg, sized 700 pixels wide.
    If you've any questions mail me: info(at)eircomtribunal.com

P.

The 5 Mb file is here:
    http://www.comwreck.com/downloads/dsl_coverage_map_v2.psd

(Safari users will have to control-click and choose "Download linked file as", because Safari falsely thinks it can display the file)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Now Ye're Talkin'

NOW YE'RE TALKIN', hope you are listening Eircom ?.... :p

If you are, PAY ATTENTION .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Murray

I think this is a great idea. Whoever's brave enough to take this on (not me, I live in the US, and can't verify the true extent of coverage! :) ) might find the DCMNR Broadband site useful - supposedly you can search by practically every hamlet and town in Ireland to see what options are available. The URL is http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBInfo/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx.

Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Murray wrote:
    I think this is a great idea. Whoever's brave enough to take this on (not me, I live in the US, and can't verify the true extent of coverage! :) ) might find the DCMNR Broadband site useful - supposedly you can search by practically every hamlet and town in Ireland to see what options are available. The URL is http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBInfo/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx.

Good Luck!
    Unfortunately this seems to be overrun with satellite resellers. As an example, I chose Ardara in Donegal. I got:

Digiweb Satellite
    Mediasat
    Applied Solutions
    Orbitlink
    Pure Telecom Satellite

Look at all the broadband options available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Here's a version 1 map of dsl availability (geographical). Opinion and suggestions,please, before all the other dsl exchange positions are entered.

The base map that you used is a little busy. A plain one colour map as the base would be better as most people are pretty familiar with the main towns and the purpose of the map is to show density and not whether a specific location has dsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Wow, great map so far. I can already hear Mc. Redmond trying to make excuses for the terrible coverage.

• Advertisement

Could somebody please look through the updated map, either on the earlier post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1994132&postcount=27

or on the photoshop file download (5Mb) here http://www.comwreck.com/downloads/dsl_coverage_map_v2.psd

and let me know which places I have not covered yet (probably quite some).

I noted the suggestions about colour and busy background, but those things can be cleaned up easy enough later.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just after realising something, BT have committed themselves to 100%broadband population coverage but does that mean that every single bog and mountain peak is covered by DSL? Eircom could say that the map was an exaggeration of NI coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Eircom are more than welcome to publish their own map .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'm in an enabled area but still can't get dsl !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Your not alone unfortunately. :(

Your area is marked as "75% dsl enabled"

I'd need feedback about areas that I've missed to input so far.

P.

The total by end March 2005 will be 223 exchanges IIRC

You missed the following

Donegal

1. Gweedore (nw )
    2. Dungloe (w or nw)
    3. Kilcar (sw, 15km west of Killybegs or so)

Mayo

Belmullet

Galway

Carraroe (40 km west) and
    Carna (20km west again) and
    Gort

Cork

Macroom (nw)
    Ballingeary (aka Ballyvourney) west of Macroom

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Could somebody please look through the updated map and let me know which places I have not covered yet (probably quite some).
    I dont see Ballincollig, its several miles west of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

How about making the blue areas that represent DSL availability transparent?

How about making the blue areas that represent DSL availability transparent?

Can you be more specific, or even do a bit of playing with the graphics on the photoshop file I've made available?

Thanks for the input with missing exchanges. I am sure there are a few more I've forgotten. I have the feeling the dots I've on the map so far do not add up to the number of exchange locations in the boards resource list.

I have included the missing places, but will wait with uploading the file in case I get some more hints within the next hours.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Missing Carrick-on-Shannon (only noticed this as looking at the map I thought Leitrim had been left behind as the only county with no BB whatever)

Also Blarney (Co Cork, just northwest of the city, marked on the map but no blob)

Carrigaline (Co Cork, SW of Cobh, marked on map but no blob)

Ballingeary (Co Cork) still missing (it's just a tiny blip west of Inchigeela on your map)

Ballincollig (Co Cork, it's about where the r of the Cork in the city name is)

Castleblaney (northeast corner of Monaghan, marked on the map but no blue blob)

Might be worth looking at the coverage in the cities as well if you have time. Limerick has all four city exchanges enabled so the blob should stick out just a little more (just a little, not much) on the northwest, northeast and southwest sides (really not by much on the southwest as Patrickswell has its own crappy exchange in between Limerick and Adare), Cork has a few enabled, no idea of location, ditto Dublin. No idea of Gallimh.

Again if you've time you could cut back the two blobs around Shannon - it goes too far east. You could get rid of almost all the right hand blob if you liked.

Ahem, I live in Ballygobackwards (Ballybofey) in Co Donegal, and I do not see any spots on it ?..

I have broadband, UTV Clicksilver of course, but 99% of the people I know are complaining because they have been told their line fails the test. God are they mad, they are coming in and playing with my broadband, damn cheek.

Can Ballybofey have some sort of spot. I like them, had plenty when I was young :) Not that I understand all this techie stuff anyway, more of a sensitive creative type me, and no I am not a woofter!.

Think I will change my signature to:- "God, I need a fag "

P.

Thanks for your precise hints. I have the new blobs in place and some rearranged. Map is still here on the old post. (If you don't get the updated version, shift-reload the page or purge your web browser's cache.)
    Nobody on photoshop to play with the colours etc. and come up with something stunning? Updated file (5 Mb) is still here.
    P.

Thanks Eircomtribunal,

Ballybofey now has a spot on the map. Donegal really is not part of Northern Ireland, oh how I wish the bloody Government only realised that ?.... :)

Add in Oranmore Co Galway (just east of the city)
    Add in Moate Co Westmeath (pop 1501 or something like that in 2002)
    Add in Buncrana Co Donegal (nw of Derry)
    Add in Bailieborough in Cavan (east of the town)
    Add another circle for Galway City centred a tad NE of Salthill to cover the Shantalla and Ballymoneen exchanges but not Barna .
    Edit the Gweedore circle in NW Donegal , it should be centred on Bunbeg which is where the Gweedore exchange is ....my mistake entirely .

I would then declare that Connaught and Ulster are totally complete .

Full list of towns with 1500 persons in Ireland is Here 150k PDF from the CSO . Jeez , poor Swinford in Mayo missed out on DSL by 3 people .... wow !

NI is not universal DSL but universal DSL or Wireless (meaning universal 512k minimum BB) albeit provided by BT. Therefore you can leave the mountain tops in in the 6 counties.

that leaves only Munster and Leinster to be checked over again. Clare is complete and Westmeath will be complete when you add in the Moate exchange

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Is there a complete list of DSL exchanges anywhere on Boards or elsewhere? I did look on Boards before asking but couldn't find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Check the IrelandOffline Resources Sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Yup. Linked through this sticky.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Is there a complete list of DSL exchanges anywhere on Boards or elsewhere? I did look on Boards before asking but couldn't find one.

The enabled exchanges are in the post linked from the resource section . The list of enabled + TO BE enabled was publised in an ad recently by Eircom .

There are some 20 or so still to be done out of the 223 target which is why the map mentions March 2005 and not todays date but the rollout is largely complete .

HTH

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Muck, afaik it's 201 exchanges in total for the current program.

Advertisement