Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green Day Gig

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Ah it was a good gig but what the fock was the story with the pit?? I was there from 4 o' clock and didn't get into the huge pit, a joke. Apparantly they were given out earlier in the day, how the fock was I supposed to know that?
    Bastards.
    Generally the passes are given out to the first however many people there. People were there very early. I got there at 4 too. Got into the pit by hanging around the entrance to it and being annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Trev C

Yeah great gig, thought the set list was better that previous ones i had seen for this tour.
    thought St. Jimmy was highlight myself.
    Nice touch bringin people up on stage aswell.

If anyone can remember full setlist can you post it

Not in order but this is what they played...

American Idiot
    Jesus Of Suburbia
    Holiday
    We Are The Waiting
    St. Jimmy
    Wake Me Up When September Ends
    Boulavard Of Broken Dreams
    Minority
    Hitchin' A Ride
    King For A Day
    Good Ridance
    Brain Stew
    Jaded
    Basketcase
    She
    When I Come Around
    Knowledge
    We Are The Champions
    (You Make Me Wanna) Shout

Edit: And Longview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY OOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

^started to piss me off a bit.

otherwise fine, mabye a litlle to formulaic.

ambassador tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It'll wrap up at 9:30, so all the kids will be home in bed by the time its over. I got my real fix at the Ambassador a few months back, no kids, great set, good night.

wrapped up around a quarter to 11 with green day playing at least a 2 hr set twas a good night, i rathered this over ambassador although it was full of kids, as for heeeeeyyyyyy oooohhhhh like weemcd said it really does get annoying after like the tenth time, other than that i cant really complain

Brock wrote:
    wrapped up around a quarter to 11 with green day playing at least a 2 hr set twas a good night, i rathered this over ambassador although it was full of kids, as for heeeeeyyyyyy oooohhhhh like weemcd said it really does get annoying after like the tenth time, other than that i cant really complain
    They only came on at 9. More like an hour and 40 minute set. And I don't know how anyone could have prefered this gig to the ambassador one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

It was a mainstream show for a mainstream crowd. I'm disappointed there wasn't anything from Slappy or Kerplunk!

But all in all it was a great night. Can anyone remember the setlist?

foalteam wrote:
    You forgot : Letterbomb :D
    And: Time Of Your Life
    sure how could I have forgot :eek: :eek:

good riddance IS time of your life you noob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lazerskate

And they didnt play letterbomb!!!

Great gig tho!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

foalteam wrote:
    Were you there or did you go to the jacks just about then cos they DID play Letterbomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wake the f.uck up! :rolleyes:
    Like they didn't play Good Riddance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I though it was good gig but v suprised they didn't play Warning and Church on Sunday which is the dogs bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

So so jealous of you all who went, but even MORE jealous of the people that got to go back in august!! Was the August-gig purely an American Idiot gig?

I was offered a ticket for last night but it was a balcony-seated ticket so I didn't bother... I hope I made the right decision!

haha no
    you did not

ps august was better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

eskimo wrote:
    So so jealous of you all who went, but even MORE jealous of the people that got to go back in august!! Was the August-gig purely an American Idiot gig?

I was offered a ticket for last night but it was a balcony-seated ticket so I didn't bother... I hope I made the right decision!

I fail to understand people who wont go to a gig just because they cant stand!!! sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

foalteam wrote:
    Were you there or did you go to the jacks just about then cos they DID play Letterbomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wake the f.uck up! :rolleyes:
    They didn't play Letterbomb.. Billie Joe started into the intro - "nobody likes you, everyone left you.." - and then went into 'Wake Me Up When September Ends'.
    I didn't say they didn't play Good Riddance! I just didn't realise that Time Of Your Life was also called that.. Simple mistake. But as I sit here listening to American Idiot, track 10 is what they played last night toward the second half of the set, which is Letterbomb.
    Like i said.. they played the intro to Track 10 (Letterbomb) and then went into 'Wake Me Up When September Ends'.

I'm sure a couple of people can back me up with that statement. Also that's the way it's been at pretty much all of the European gigs so far.

For example.. from a review of them at Brixton Academy:
    ..but was back in time for Billie Joe to start us off with 'Nobody likes you....' we all expected Letterbomb but instead a beautiful Wake Me Up When September Ends followed.
    Anyways, amazing gig! New stuff sounded amazing live.. as did the old stuff. Expected a longer encore than 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams' and 'Time Of Your Life' but still brillant!

Second time i've seen them in the last 6 months and i'm going again next time they play! :D

PS - New Found Glory were f*cking terrible.. am pissed off cos Jimmy Eat World are supporting them in Milton Keynes!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 oogieboogie

Here stop moaning about song titles and having sqabbles over what they did and didnt play...BUT they DID play knowledge,i know because i was playing it too(i was playing bass...) so stop moaaaaning!!
    WHat a ****ing great show,the best ive seen and ive seen them many a time...

did you get to keep the bass?!?! if you didnt thats well stingy!!

I fail to understand people who wont go to a gig just because they cant stand!!! sad.

Coz i'm not gonna pay money to sit down and listen to a rock band play - highly frustrating that you can't stand up and move ur body! You may as well stay home and listen to the cd. Especially when it's a giant venue like the Point and they may as well be miles away!

Sitting at such gigs is boring, frustrating, pointless and a waste of time and money. I'd rather spend my money on a gig i'm going to enjoy properly.

Backing up basquille: Other guy, get your facts straight.

I used to not much like sitting at gigs, but it can be ok sometimes and even preferable sometimes. Certianly wouldn't not go to a gig I wanted to go to just because of it.

Btw basquille, Jimmy Eat World are supporting Green Day or New Found Glory in Milton Keynes?

It's official

AMERICAN IDIOT 2005 INTERNATIONAL TOUR
    July 9th - Dublin - Oxegen Festival

Taken from greenday.com . Sweet Jesus of Suburbia :D

• Advertisement

qz wrote:
    It's official

Indeed it is true! ****in' yeah!

Nothing on the mcd or oxegen sites as of yet, but soon! Anybody know which date the Foos are playing? It'd be nice to see the two on the same day, but if I had to I'd go for Green Day.

(edit: found out they're playing the 10th. Looks like a weekend ticket so.)

Foos are playing on the second day. Apparantly they're the main headliner. This is all looking very much like Witnness 2002... But that was the best one, so I'm not complaining.

Didn't get going to Witness in 2002 but I got Green Day's set on tape so it's all good. All Oxegen needs now is some Placebo, Taking Back Sunday and Beastie Boys and I'm set.

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    Backing up basquille: Other guy, get your facts straight.

I used to not much like sitting at gigs, but it can be ok sometimes and even preferable sometimes. Certianly wouldn't not go to a gig I wanted to go to just because of it.

Btw basquille, Jimmy Eat World are supporting Green Day or New Found Glory in Milton Keynes?

Get my facts straight? What are you talking about?? I wasn't stating facts, I was stating my own feelings on the matter. Just because YOU wouldn't avoid a seated gig doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't either! And surely you've figured out by now that I'm clearly not a massive Green Day fan, otherwise I more than likely would have gone. Jaysus. You can't have an opinion here with some people around :rolleyes:

I think he was referring to foalteam (pssst - think meatloaf.... :p)! The wannabe fans in here ya know! tut tut!

eskimo wrote:
    Get my facts straight? What are you talking about?? I wasn't stating facts, I was stating my own feelings on the matter. Just because YOU wouldn't avoid a seated gig doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't either! And surely you've figured out by now that I'm clearly not a massive Green Day fan, otherwise I more than likely would have gone. Jaysus. You can't have an opinion here with some people around :rolleyes:
    As fade_to_grey said, I was indeed referring to what foalteam was saying. I know I didn't quote him, and I didn't say his name, but you really should have been able to work it out from me saying "Backing up basquille:". I normally don't mind when people misinterpret what you say, but the amount of people lately who just don't bother to read the posts they're talking about and then fly off the handle about them is getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Green Day are being supported by 4 (!!) support acts at Milton Keynes.

Simple Plan and Jimmy Eat World are two of the 4 support acts.

See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/events/green_day.shtml

basquille wrote:
    Green Day are being supported by 4 (!!) support acts at Milton Keynes.

Simple Plan and Jimmy Eat World are two of the 4 support acts.

See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/events/green_day.shtml
    That'd be a hell of a gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭L.W

qz wrote:
    It's official

went on to greenday.com to check this out but this date isnt mentioned??? :confused:

• Advertisement

L.W wrote:
    went on to greenday.com to check this out but this date isnt mentioned??? :confused:

That is weird indeed. I swear I saw it. Anyway it's on greendayauthority.com.

hmm :confused:

Odd. It was on Greenday.com earlier. First place I checked. But they've taken it down now.

As fade_to_grey said, I was indeed referring to what foalteam was saying. I know I didn't quote him, and I didn't say his name, but you really should have been able to work it out from me saying "Backing up basquille:". I normally don't mind when people misinterpret what you say, but the amount of people lately who just don't bother to read the posts they're talking about and then fly off the handle about them is getting ridiculous.

In which case I apologise.... you did say "Other guy: get your facts straight" and then went on talking about what I had said, so that's why I thought you were talking about me. People can be ridiculously aggressive on message boards so it wouldn't have been unusual for someone to go apesh*t over what I had said about sitting at gigs. Anyway, sorry!

So now they're playing Oxegen its gonna seal a quick sell-out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

eskimo wrote:
    So now they're playing Oxegen its gonna seal a quick sell-out!

I wouldn't say that.

Review of the gig from Hotpress.com:

With a huge world-wide No.1 album to their credit, Green Day are among the hottest bands on planet earth right now. Their visit to The Point in Dublin was widely anticipated. But would they live up to the promise? Hot Press’ teenage rock aficionado Rolo Black went along to find out…

At 7.00pm on January 31st after a long, long day, I started to feel uncontrollably giddy. I had a sensation like you’d get if several butterflies were deep within you and thrashing around, trying to escape and causing chaos inside. Had it all got too much for me? Had the thin thread, which held together my jangled mind finally snapped? No, Green Day were in town and I wanted to see them, wanted to see them badly.

A couple of years back, I’d caught them at Witnness, where they turned in an unbelievable performance – so, my expectations were high. However, all was not rosy in the Point garden. Turned out I probably had the worst vantage point in the house, upper left balcony standing. The problem being that, due to the big speakers, you can only see 30% of the stage at the best of times.

As we waited for the Californian trio to emerge, I saw that they had sent what looked like a drunk guy dressed as a pink bunny out to warm up the audience (as if listening to all the best Ramones songs wasn’t enough). As it edged towards 9pm, the pink bunny left, thanks be to ****, and the house lights dimmed.

Lift-off! The ground spots shot up from the stage and Billie Joe Armstrong proudly launched into the band’s latest anthem. “Don't want to be an American idiot,” he screamed, “Don't want a nation under the new mania/ And can you hear the sound of hysteria?/ The subliminal mind**** America.” And away they went. ****ing superb. An inspiring performance of ‘Jesus of Suberbia’ followed (this version was probably about twice as long as the 9 minute album version and still came to a premature end!) But while they packed most of the new album into the set, they also managed to keep space for a bunch of classics: ‘Longview’, ‘Brain Stew’, ‘She’, ‘Blood Sex and Booze’, ‘Reject’ and the exceptional ‘Basket Case’.

At this stage, I was in a state of near euphoria. So far, there’d been lots of flames – smaller than the ones which graced the Witnness performance, but what the hell, we were indoors – more explosions and dynamite noise. Entertainment too: at one point they decided to create a band from the audience. After choosing a perfect drummer and a decent bass player, to complete the line-up Billie Joe picked an 11 year old girl who – like me – was in upper left balcony. It took her about 10 minutes to get to the stage – in fact, at one point Billie Joe was told she was lost but just as he was about to pick a replacement for her, she emerged side stage. Everything was set, this was her big moment, her 15 minutes of fame and then… She froze.

Billie Joe quickly found a replacement and asked this latest guitar-wielding teenager “Hey, have you ever been laid? Well, you will be tonight!”

After a good ‘performance’ by the “band”, Green Day blasted on with their set. A beautiful ‘Wake Me When September Ends’ was dedicated to the great Johnny Ramone. They closed the set with ‘Minority’, replete with shouts that were echoed by the crowd. (This was a trick Billie played throughout the night, using it to control the audience, to the extent that he was almost like a puppet master using the crowd as part of the show better than I’ve seen any other performer use them. And I have to admit it felt good being used by Billy Joe! But I digress…)

For their encore, Tre, Mike and Billie Joe – looking like the coolest men in rock with the designer wrinkles on their faces, fifteen years into the game – returned with their latest hit, ‘Boulevard of Broken Dreams’. It was sublime, and they followed it with a great ‘When I Come Around’.

They did a version of ‘We Are The Champions’ during which I became acutely aware that I was just about the only person in the venue who hates Queen. Saying that, their stab at it was far better than Freddie and the boys’, so I can see why the, ahem, Queen lovers were excited. At the end of that song, machines spat out a ton of confetti, which completely hid the stage. When the debris cleared, Billie Joe was left alone to perform a heartfelt rendition of ‘Good Riddance’ – the perfect way to end a great night.

As I left I heard a man, probably in his 30’s, remark: “I’ve seen hundred’s of gigs but never been as entertained as I was there.” It was typical of the overall reaction. The only thing I really missed from the Witnness blueprint was their treatment of ‘King For A Day’, which on the outdoor stage included a mariachi band and about 100 female dancers. And I couldn’t believe that they didn’t play the brilliant ‘Poprocks and Coke’. Still, they delivered and the butterflies were free…

Their latest may not be a Doolittle or even a Nevermind, but it’s a very strong record nonetheless. Analysis: Decent Album, Inspirational Live!

Rolo Black

Wow. Talk about getting your facts wrong... :)

I really can't believe they printed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sounds like same sh!t, different gig. HEEYYYYYY OOOOOH, OY , OY , OY ! Ole, ole, etc... I remember when Green Day were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sunnyjimac

Here stop moaning about song titles and having sqabbles over what they did and didnt play...BUT they DID play knowledge,i know because i was playing it too(i was playing bass...) so stop moaaaaning!!
    WHat a ****ing great show,the best ive seen and ive seen them many a time...

and your looking at the drummer right here! It was the best moment of my life! i nearly pissed myself getting up on stage, i was so nervous at first :o .
    I liked their set list, i knew all the words, so it was a nice sing song...

Come on, let's get the guitarist in here!

Good work both of ye...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

She'll take a while, she's got to come down the stairs...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The Berkeley are back btw. February 23rd in TBMC. Loads of new material. Should be good.

http://www.berkeley.tv/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=308&st=0&#entry3062

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

I have recently gotten "into" GreenDay. I would have loved to go to the concert.

dregin wrote:
    The Berkeley are back btw. February 23rd in TBMC. Loads of new material. Should be good.

http://www.berkeley.tv/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=308&st=0&#entry3062

Excellent. See you there!! Think I'll bring along some sort of recording device so I can have the new material to listen to on those cold cold nights before the new album.

From what I remember of the gig in The Village with FKOS, "This Mess We're In" and "With A Nervous Eye" are two top-quality tunes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I actually had witha nervous eye hosted..........but somehow I've lost it along with a load of other stuff that was recorded :/ We did a video of them playin withsome American tools in Whelans a couple years back. Good gig, but the mic on the camera was ****e so it went a bit crap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Odd. It was on Greenday.com earlier. First place I checked. But they've taken it down now.

highly likely they put it up too early and were asked by the pricks at mcd to remove it from there gig list before the oxegen website can be updated, which doesnt seem to happen alot.

I remember last year seeing a couple of bands had oxegen on there gig list only for it to be removed and then put back up when the oxegen site confirmed it.

hope there playing anyway would be worth goin to see them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

shh.dont tell no one but green day ARE playing oxegen..shhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

just thought i'd post my comments on the gig,
    billie did sing the intro to letterbomb then got to wake me up...
    i thought the show was great, the ambassador gig was better cos it was a more intimate venue.

one other thing, i went alone but left with somebody :D

i was the tall guy with the "who the f**k is tre cool" t-shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Losers took down the Oxegen announcement eh? Dont worry, i reckon Green Day will headline Saturday. Gig was fantastic, We are the Champions hasnt been done better since Queen did it live on the Magic tour in 86!

We are the Champions hasnt been done better since Queen did it live on the Magic tour in 86!

Or maybe when Green Day played here last August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭L.W

The oxegen website has been updated confirming that the killers are playing but they havent mentioned anything about Green Day! even tho its confirmed on greendayauthority.com im beginning to worry.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement