Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems booting Hard drive

• 11-10-2004 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I've been looking at a friends computer and I can't seem to make any sense of what is wrong with it.

As soon as you power on the computer there's a message saying "press F1 to retry boot, press F2 to system setup"

I know the description of the problem is very brief, but there's nothing really else to work with, thats all I can get out of it.

Can anybody tell me how to solve this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Could be a lot of things. Give some history on the PC - has it been recently used, moved or abused?

If I had to put money on it, sounds like a knackered hard drive tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I agree, could be tons of things.
    to make a pick, if it is an old Mobo, try replacing the CMOS battery

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Make a note of any other errors.
    Press F2 and see what it says - it may say XYZ changed
    (settings are Brand/Model specific)

Does the computer make noises ending with the letter K or the normal G noises.
    Klunk - Klick (bad) Chug Chug (good)

If it was the battery it would most likely metion CMOS in the error.

Shouldn't have to ask - remove any floppy disks / CD's ...
    Alternatively boot up with a dos/windows boot foppy or windows 98 CD and into command prompt only and Fdisk / status to see what DOS thinks of hte drive

Advertisement