Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rename MTG forum?

• 11-10-2004 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,583 ✭✭✭✭

Arising from a thread on the games board, I'd like to suggest that the Magic The Gathering board be renamed to cover all CCGs.

The board isn't that busy and could easily take the extra threads and whatnot. And also, it keeps that filth off the games board.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hmm, I don't think thats such a good idea tbh. The MTG game is older, more complex. Also could rise to "OMFG yugioh is teh better than MTG, coz MGT suxxors!!!!oneone" threads.

Also, if you object to it being on your forum, stick a disclaimer in the charter banning said threads. I assume your not a fan of said games from the filth comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,583 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

1) Games board charter reads: The primary focus of this forum is for the discussion of computer and video games on any platform be it Console, PC or even Macs. Nowhere, does it mention anything about CCGs, it's been a complete non-issue up until now. I don't think simply banning the discussion of CCGs is an option really. I mean, aren't we a community based on discussion? We've plenty of room at the inn, we just need to send them to the right room. (Next on Fox: When Analogies Go Bad 2)

2) "OMFG yugioh is teh better than MTG, coz MGT suxxors!!!!oneone" threads are obviously unwanted, but in reality, how many threads with topics like that will you get? Threads debating the merits of the various CCGs in a mature way would surely be welcomed.

3) I am indifferent to said games, in honesty. I simply think that the people who visit the games board do so to discuss video-games, and as such, aren't much help to people wishing to discuss CCGs. Furthermore, I think broadening the scope of the MTG forum would be a good thing. A win-win situation, really.

I will, however, hold my hand up and say I don't read the MTG forum so don't know how big an impact the change would make.

I imagine it wouldn't be that great, or neccesaray, but hell, Psychohistory ain't a perfect science now, is it?

Might be interesting to hear the opinion of any MTG board regulars(other than me), Ivan, the admins and any closet yu-gi-oh fans before a decision is made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Raphael wrote:
    Hmm, I don't think thats such a good idea tbh. The MTG game is older, more complex. Also could rise to "OMFG yugioh is teh better than MTG, coz MGT suxxors!!!!oneone" threads.

The Games forum contains dedicated PS2/X-box/PC gamers who all get along pretty well. If they don't, we warn them and then ban them. The result is that we do manage to run a laidback, friendly forum for gamers.

Besides, maybe Yugui oh (or however it's spelt) players might find out about MTG and start playing that. Either way CCG just don't belong in Games so when Nakey wanted to move it, there was nowhere to go, hence this post.
    Also, if you object to it being on your forum, stick a disclaimer in the charter banning said threads. I assume your not a fan of said games from the filth comment

This has nothing to do with Nekkidbiblemans personal preferences.

I was basing that statement of his use of the wird "filth" to describe CCG's. Sounded like personal preference to me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Well, let's ignore the personal preference and focus on the problem.

Raphael wrote:
    I was basing that statement of his use of the wird "filth" to describe CCG's. Sounded like personal preference to me

Well done, we've established that he has a personal preference. My point is that Nekkidbibleman and the rest of the Games mods don't moderate based on personal preferences.

For example, if I did mod based on personal preferences I'd ban anyone starting a thread about The Sims cos I think it's a load of arse. But that's just my opinion and I'm happy to see users discuss it.

And as ecksor says, let's move on from that.

Indeed.

Well, I've said my piece....and I'm feeling outnumbered here...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

"Outnumbered"

Hi, I'm ecksor. Perhaps you haven't encountered me before. I do not believe in democratic means for deciding how to run or organise boards.ie. You might as well make your arguments as best you can for how you think it should run, I'm probably just going to ask Regi to make a decision on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

ecksor wrote:
    Hi, I'm ecksor. Perhaps you haven't encountered me before. I do not believe in democratic means for deciding how to run or organise boards.ie.

But we are all thankful DeV has managed to get you to refrane from putting users who irratate you against a wall and shooting them. Its a step in the right direction, no? :D

Any way on a seriuos note, I think the MTG froum could take it. It would be a great palce to talk to other CCG games, maybe start ones way into Ophedian or one of the dozen other games out and about at the moment. I'm sure we'd be well able to deal with any "My game iz better tahn yorz" posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Whats wrong with yu-gi-oh games?
    For example, if I did mod based on personal preferences I'd ban anyone starting a thread about The Sims cos I think it's a load of arse. But that's just my opinion and I'm happy to see users discuss it.

The sims is fun. I have managed to kill of 23 sims in pleasentville so far by forcing them into small prisons and to watch them slowly die. The downside is that there are so many ghosts in the house my sim continually wets herself trying to do anything.

Well then in your case Hobbes, they should have named it "Pyschopathic Serial Killer Simulator 2" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,583 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

amp wrote:
    My point is that Nekkidbibleman and the rest of the Games mods don't moderate based on personal preferences.

What about the time you banned me for posting in a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Boston wrote:
    What about the time you banned me for posting in a thread.
    That was based on personal dislike ;)

Advertisement