Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Snakes

• 11-10-2004 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a pet snake. Have wanted one for years but never got one.
    Are they easy to keep, feeding, costs etc.
    Was in Dublin Zoo office a few weeks ago and was allowed to hold one of their pet snakes they keep in the building. Brought the idea back in to the front my mind.

Anyone got any experience keeping snakes as pets, pros and cons.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

My cousin has one i dont like it but only needs to be feed once a week keep water clean out skins / eggs (so im told) and take it out ever once in a while. I have to look after it once they go away on hols (means calling round once a week in my case just to feed i dont take out of tank) I think it is cheap (cheaper than a dog/cat to keep)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Thanks optiplexgx270, the guy in zoo did say that once a week is all they are fed but he had let them go for 2 weeks without food for some reason.
    They had a big class cage (if thats the right word :confused: ) for them. Had a large branch and rocks to provide shade, bowl of water and leaves. There was 3 snakes in it, each about one foot in length. Two females and a male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

On a similar note I would love to get a Gecko, but I don't even know if its possible/legal in Ireland! anybody on boards with a pet gecko?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If youre going for a pet snake Id advise you to start with a corn snake or similar.I got a corn about 6-8 weeks ago.Its my first snake and I couldnt believe how easy they are to keep once you get everything set up correctly.I had problems with temps etc but there are a few people here who gave advice to me.
    As for feeding I feed once every 7 days but a few times she goes to the 10 days before taking the food.So I try every 7 days and if she eats she eats but if she doesnt I know that she will definately eat after the 10 days.

Maybe wait until the more experienced keepers answer as like I say Im still new to this and dont really want to give bad advice to you.

As for the Geckos-They are legal here and can be bought in the city centre in Reptile haven or Boardwalk pets.
    Hope this helps
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

I used to keep pet snakes. Ive had ball pythons, red tail boas, yellow oak rat snakes,and a black rat snake. they easiest was the ball python. You have to be careful about their temperature and they're great escape artists, but they really dont get very big and are extemely docile. the rat snakes were a little more hyper and could get really testy especially when shedding. I had to stop keeping them because it was breaking my heart to have to feed them live mice :( they wouldnt eat anything unless it was moving and it just killed me to hear the little squeaks. :o if you have the constitution then go for it. Just be prepared to shell out some cash for a proper cage set up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As Richie said I'd say the best starter snake would be a corn they get to around 5-6feet in length but are a slender snake & do not constrict like the pythons do - The biggest expense will be in getting a proper Vivarium you will also need to have a heat mat I would suggest you go to reptile haven & speak to Ben he will advise you of what you need etc. Hatchlings will need feeding 2-3 times a week on pinkies Ben sells these - once they get bigger they will need to be fed fuzzies - corns should eat pre killed prey fine - but some snakes refuse to eat pre killed stuff like my Royal Python so I have to feed him young live mice & rats (not pleasent!)

As for geckos yep they can be kept in Ireland again ask Ben (he has LOADS of differnt species) I would say start with a Leopard or fat tailed as they are nocturnal & do not require UV lights these will eat crickets & mealworms again they need heat etc.

Check out www.anapsid.org this has loads of valuable advice. Hope this helps.

Faye-Bond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Thanks for the info Bond-007, tovalee and Hellrazer. I'm not based in Dublin so next time I'm up I will make a call in to Reptile haven or Boardwalk pets.

I wouldn't have a problem feeding live prey to a snake. The only problem could be storing the live prey somewhere safe so my mother doesn't freak out about mice in the house :D

The guy I was talking to in the zoo said that snakes are much easier to keep than lizards. Didn't have time to ask why, was in a rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

Bond-007 wrote:
    As Richie said I'd say the best starter snake would be a corn they get to around 5-6feet in length but are a slender snake & do not constrict like the pythons do - The biggest expense will be in getting a proper Vivarium you will also need to have a heat mat I would suggest you go to reptile haven & speak to Ben he will advise you of what you need etc. Hatchlings will need feeding 2-3 times a week on pinkies Ben sells these - once they get bigger they will need to be fed fuzzies - corns should eat pre killed prey fine - but some snakes refuse to eat pre killed stuff like my Royal Python so I have to feed him young live mice & rats (not pleasent!)

As for geckos yep they can be kept in Ireland again ask Ben (he has LOADS of differnt species) I would say start with a Leopard or fat tailed as they are nocturnal & do not require UV lights these will eat crickets & mealworms again they need heat etc.

Check out www.anapsid.org this has loads of valuable advice. Hope this helps.

Faye-Bond

Are there any non carnivurous snakes ? as my daughter wants one - but not sure show she'd handle feeding live mice.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

There are snakes that eat crickets, kept one about ten years back, *think* it was called a green tree snake, didn't grow too big, 2ft maximum length and beautiful looking. I'd research it, and as for vegetarian snakes... don't hold your breath trying to find one :P (hope I didn't sound like a smartass)

fragile wrote:
    On a similar note I would love to get a Gecko, but I don't even know if its possible/legal in Ireland! anybody on boards with a pet gecko?
    I'd totally recommend a Leopard gecko too, they are pretty easy to keep, and importantly are widely bred in captivity which is always a good indicator with regards to husbandry.

• Advertisement

tallus wrote:
    There are snakes that eat crickets, kept one about ten years back, *think* it was called a green tree snake, didn't grow too big, 2ft maximum length and beautiful looking. I'd research it, and as for vegetarian snakes... don't hold your breath trying to find one :P (hope I didn't sound like a smartass)

not at all ! novice that i am - cant seem to find much info on green tree snakes,

What im looking for is simple to keep , feed and stay fairly small ?

no worm smart commenst please !

Loz

Sorry dude my bad, check out the link I mesed up on the name http://www.uga.edu/srel/rough_green_snake.htm
    Hope it helps, I'm a bit rusty but i kept mine in a 2ft tall glass vivarium with leaf litter as a substrate and a few twigs for climbing at that as the snake was arboreal.
    T

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Never heard of a vegetarian/non carnivorous snake but if you do find one my wife would make me get rid of our collection.She hates those frozen mice in the freezer.

Seriously though Id still recommend a Corn for you even a year later.
    Once every 7 days is my feeding schedule and has been for the last year.
    Corns are easy to keep,clean and friendly/handleable.
    As for the live food feeding---you dont have to feed live at all and I wouldnt recommend it anyway.It will bring out aggression in a snake aswell as that a mouse can seriously injure a snake when its cornered.Feed frozen/thawed and you`ll be fine.
    Richie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

loz wrote:
    Are there any non carnivurous snakes ? as my daughter wants one - but not sure show she'd handle feeding live mice.....

hey loz, My nephew is a big softie but after a little while it was second nature for him to thaw and feed pinkies to his snake, he'd even hope they exploded when the snake crunched on em lol...even if you're kid doesnt get over it, you will :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Just dont make the mistake of buying an iquana (vegetarian).... unless you have *a lot* of space, and a *lot* of time, they also grow *very* big and can be tempremental. V High maintainance animal, even if your told otherwise.

Its a shame, but people often get them when they have a problem with feeding pinkies to a snake :(

b

Bambi wrote:
    hey loz, My nephew is a big softie but after a little while it was second nature for him to thaw and feed pinkies to his snake, he'd even hope they exploded when the snake crunched on em lol...even if you're kid doesnt get over it, you will :D

Thanks Bambi - i was just munching on my morning sausage n egg sambo.........,

Thanks all the advice / links everyone. I'll let you know how i get on, but im gonna pop into Reptile Haven in the am to chat to them guys,

Loz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

downstairs in the petshop on parnell street has reptiles too, i paid 75 squids for a tinny flat rock scorp in one place and 45 for a BIG olive keeled flat rock in another...it pays to shop aorund :D

Bambi wrote:
    downstairs in the petshop on parnell street has reptiles too, i paid 75 squids for a tinny flat rock scorp in one place and 45 for a BIG olive keeled flat rock in another...it pays to shop aorund :D

Cool i'll pop in there also .

Advertisement