Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

the litter act, what a joke

Options
  • 11-10-2004 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

i recieved a notice in the post the other day that i was being fined 125 euro for throwing the end of a ciggarette out the window of my car on gardner st in dublin, someone had reported me to the cops when they saw me doing it at a traffic light and took down my registration. this same person was also willing to testify in court should i refuse to pay the fine.

now im not a violent person at all.....but id really love to get my hands on this person and (if its a male) smack him around and then take 125 euro off him to pay the fine with, i mean what kind of ****ing low-life would actually take down my reg and go to the guards over something like this? obviously someone with nothing better to do with their ****ty life than to go around getting hard working honest people like myself fined for the most minute offence, i wonder how many cig butts were thrown out of car windows in ireland on that day, not to mention how many were thrown on the pavements by people, and this asshole had to ruin my day and get me fined 125 euro? talk about a needle in a haystack

not that im pro-litter or anything but jesus christ a ciggarette but is hardly litter seeing as people come to sweep the streets every morning, im sure the one i threw out the window that day ended up in a bin somewhere....what a sick joke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

haha :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Prozium

That's the same attitude that all people that throw litter on the ground have. And that's why our city is f*cking disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

damo wrote:
    what kind of ****ing low-life would actually take down my reg and go to the guards over something like this?

It was a litter warden...

Imho €125 for throwing a cigarette butt out the window is ridiculous. How much were members of the travelling community charged for the cleanup bill for Bushy Park last summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Nice to see it's working anyway. So many laws aren't policed it makes a refreshing change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i hate it when people throw rubbish out of cars, one day i was driving down the road and the car ahead of me just threw a bag of rubbish out of the window and kept driving!!! i reported it to the guards but never heard anything back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

damo wrote:
    i mean what kind of ****ing low-life would actually take down my reg and go to the guards over something like this?
    I would. No doubt you throw your cigarettes out while the car is moving too. You probably don't check to see if there's a motorbike behind you either. What if you're doing 70 down the motorway, you throw a cig out the window, it lands in a motorcyclists eye, and wham, he's dead?

Sounds implausible doesn't it? But the way in which air flows around a car means that when you throw it out, it moves around the side of your car, to the back, and flies backwards almost dead straight and dead centre to your vehicle. Twice I've had cigarettes bounce off my jacket, and once off the top of my helmet.

If I saw you do it, I guarantee* I'd drag you out of the car and beat you to a bloody pulp.

Not a guarantee :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

doesnt your car have an ashtray?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ashtray!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I would.................I guarantee* I'd drag you out of the car and beat you to a bloody pulp.

Nail > Hammer > Head

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

damo wrote:
    this same person was also willing to testify in court should i refuse to pay the fine.

now im not a violent person at all.....but id really love to get my hands on this person and (if its a male) smack him around and then take 125 euro off him to pay the fine with, i mean what kind of ****ing low-life would actually take down my reg and go to the guards over something like this?

So it OK for you to assult and rob someone because you think you should be able to break the law and get away with it. And you expect sympathy..

And it not like you're the first person to be fined for littering, and it's almost certainly not your first time littering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Did you learn anything?

MrP

seamus wrote:
    What if you're doing 70 down the motorway, you throw a cig out the window, it lands in a motorcyclists eye, and wham, he's dead?

How the hell would the motorcyclist get the cig into his eye? Surely he / she is wearing a helmet? :confused:

Anyway, very aggressive responses showing intent of violence from both original poster and others. This troubles me :(

There is not a chance you will get a fine for littering for throwing out a ciggie from your car based on a person's personal evidence unless it is witnessed and reported by either a Garda or a litter warden...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

Exactly what seamus said :)

I've had a couple of them hit me on the bike too, never would think of taking the reg to the local cop shop, must try and remember to do that in future

No sympathy for you whatsoever mate, pity the fine is'nt bigger :confused:

unkel wrote:
    How the hell would the motorcyclist get the cig into his eye? Surely he / she is wearing a helmet? :confused:
    Yes, but you don't always leave the visor down, particularly if it's dark or poor visibility. Plenty of helmets also have no visor.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

Open face helmets are fairly common, more so with people on crusiers than sports bikes, i've got one myself but very rarely were it, don't get the best weather in this country for open face helmets and too much loose chippings on the damn roads here too :( .... oh and did i mention idiots throwing stuff out of car windows? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Thats nasty. Some loser with nothing better to do. U`d wanna be a fair prick to report someone for that. The nob that reported you, is probably a **** driver, and it would suit these knuckleheads to watch the road, than to annoy guards with such trivial ****e.

You should fook the fine out your window and just say you never received it. And then give up smoking,,, its proving expensive for ya. Hee hee.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rander00 wrote:
    Thats nasty. Some loser with nothing better to do. U`d wanna be a fair prick to report someone for that. The nob that reported you, is probably a **** driver, and it would suit these knuckleheads to watch the road, than to annoy guards with such trivial ****e.

You should fook the fine out your window and just say you never received it. And then give up smoking,,, its proving expensive for ya. Hee hee.
    What makes you think it was a driver that reported damo ?? Most people in this country don't own cars and if you are a pedistrian waiting to cross the road and some muppet tosses out a fag at the lights, you ain't going to respect them.

And this attitude of "someone will sweep the street in the morning" next someone will say it's providing employment. It's not - it's just wasting someone elses time. BTW: the fine is higher than that for many motoring offences, which indicate the severity officialdom treat it - Guards don't make the law. Or you could be cynical and say it's to generate revenue. In either case yer man was caught rotten.

In Singapore they have banned chewing gum and the litter fines there are steep..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Don't cigarrette butt make up a fairly large proportion of litter on our streets. Why not have a little respect for your city and dispose of it properly.

While you might not think much of it, it is that same attitute that thousands of smokers have and that is one of the (many) reasons) why Dublin is a grimey, filthy place.

Pay the fine and stop moaning, noone here has a whole lot of sympathy for you and TBH the city need less people like yourself who have an arrogant and lazy attitude towards its cleanliness :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

damo wrote:
    obviously someone with nothing better to do with their ****ty life than to go around getting hard working honest people like myself fined for the most minute offence

You forgot the bit about the why aren't the gardai out catching real criminals...

:rolleyes:

You forgot the bit about the why aren't the gardai out catching real criminals...
    Thats what litter wardens (employed by council) are for. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭eoin_f

sorry there buddy but as a full time driver (sales rep) i have to say hard luck to you, is a pian in the ass for you but in fairness you cannot argue with this outcome. everyone in dub recognises that we have a problem with litter and littering, drivers are a large problem through cig butts being expelled from the vehicle, crisp packets, tissues etc, it goes on and on, personally i would have honked you and given you dogs abuse, do you honestly thing you were in the right to throw your litter from your car window?

yes it was only a small cig butt but pennies make pounds and one cannot argue that what you did was worse that a fridge/freezer dumped down dunsink, its all in the same class. I know i dont know you and dont mean to accuse you of being a mass dumper of litter but it must be a black and white situation as regards tryin to keep the country clean. nobody enjoys wading through litter, we spend enough time giving out about it.

Shame you feel bad about it but in fairnes would you not yourself give out and complain about pollution, and by any chance do you use bottle banks or any recycling facilities about you? may seem like a hard slap but in reality if you dislike the state of pullution/littering we suffer from you would prob be the first to give out to yorself.

Personally i find it amazing how many people i know that dont think twice about dropping a cig but or bit of gum and turn about and criticise our refuse collecton system or the state our cities are in (litter wise, social is another one all together!)

E. :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

How would you feel if I started throwing my rubbish in your car?? Maybe you should stop throwing your s*hit in my city?

Moron

seamus wrote:
    Yes, but you don't always leave the visor down, particularly if it's dark or poor visibility. Plenty of helmets also have no visor.

Anyone driving a bike at 70mph without a visor or with the visor up is a fool imho. Never mind a fag, Imagine what a stone chip or a bird would do :rolleyes:

People seem to be missing the point I've made twice already. No member of the public can report you for littering without further proof leading to a fine. Only a litter warden or a garda can do this!

unkel wrote:
    Anyone driving a bike at 70mph without a visor or with the visor up is a fool imho. Never mind a fag, Imagine what a stone chip or a bird would do :rolleyes:
    A bird? At 70mph, visor up or down, a bird is going to **** you up.
    It's a necessary risk when driving a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

damo wrote:
    i mean what kind of ****ing low-life would actually take down my reg and go to the guards over something like this?

Anyone else see the irony in this ? A litter lout calling someone else a lowlife for reporting him littering ! Tut, what was he thinking, how dare anyone report you for throwing stuff onto the street ! :rolleyes:
    The person who reported you didn't neccesarily go to the guards, in fact they most likely reported you to the litter warden, and fair play to he or she.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

What? You littered and have been fined for littering? It's not a fair cop?
    Or is it that because it was a fag-end it wasn't 'really' littering?

Oh, the streets are swept so it's okay to throw stuff on the road?
    That's why our streets are so clean then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

At least now you will cop on and quit dumping rubbish out your window. Were you afraid to get your ash tray dirty? Or too lazy too clean it? I see people do this every day and it really pisses me off, maybe I'll start to report them for it too. And it happens with all types of people and cars, from bangers to the spa I saw do it in a €125,000 Merc last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Prozium

I once seen a guy dump his ashtray out the window on the M50 one day when he thought no-one was looking. SCUMBAG.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Victor wrote:
    Thats what litter wardens (employed by council) are for. :)

Maybe the gard had caught too many real criminals that month and decided to catch a few decent people :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    People seem to be missing the point I've made twice already. No member of the public can report you for littering without further proof leading to a fine. Only a litter warden or a garda can do this!
    Actually, I'm not sure about this, AFAIK the burden of proof for littering offences has been reduced below the criminal "beyond a reasonable doubt".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement